0x80072733

Bob Williams

Mar 12, 2004, 8:37:57 PM3/12/04
I can't find the meaning of this error code to my attempts
at windows update. I've been getting it for several
weeks. What do I do?

Maurice N

Mar 12, 2004, 9:58:48 PM3/12/04

Hello Bob,
It May be a timeout or a bandwidth failure.
Try to remember the *number* of the update you selected.
Please say which item you selected, or if this happened right away at Windows Update. Also your version of Windows.

Then look in your \Windows folder for a specific log for that item.
It should begin with Q*number* or KB*number*.log

Get a copy of *that* log , plus, the current-fail-section for today out of Windows Update.log ---
and then attach or paste both of those into a reply here.
(Use Windows' Notepad to scan down the log, then copy & paste here). But only get the lines dated today (fail session).
Plus would you state if you have dialup service or if you have DSL/broadband/cable.

Also, did the download begin, then die out? or did the download phase finish?

If you tried "successive" attempts within the same Windows "login-session" -- then a part of the process was left still running.
What you need to do: Bring up Task Manager. If you find "update.exe" running, then "End" that task ---before attempting another Windows Update.

As a last resort, you may consider getting this update thru the Windows Catalog option; saving it to disk; and running that program later.

Make sure your pc has the correct & current Date / Year & Time.
In Internet Explorer browser:

1. Click "Tools" and then select "Internet Options".

2. Click "Languages".

3. Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language Options" dialog box.

Please delete the Internet cache and cookies.

1. Click "Tools" and then select "Internet Options".

2. Click "Delete Cookies".

3. Click "Delete Files".

I. E. Tools >Internet Options > Advanced Tab > (scroll down thru the list)

These are "some" of the items that I do have CHECKed (selected):
Under HTTP 1.1 settings --
Use HTTP 1.1 (ON / Selected)
+ Enable / check to use HTTP 1.1 with proxy servers **** <<----

and under Security :
Clear (un-check) the check box next to "Check for server certificate revocation" . ( *OFF* )

Use SSL 2.0 (ON / selected)
Use SSL 3.0 (ON)

Internet Explorer > main menu /Tools/Internet Options >

Security Tab/ click on green icon Trusted Sites/click Sites button.
Click "Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone" to *clear* the selection.

In the "Add this Web site to the zone:" field, add these entries to list of "Trusted Sites" --

type
http://www.download.windowsupdate.com (and then click Add )

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com (click Add)

https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com (yes with HTTPS)

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

http://download.windowsupdate.com

Click OK. Retry Windows Update.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Bob Williams

Mar 13, 2004, 12:13:47 AM3/13/04
Dear Maurice,
I'm using Windows Me, IE 6.0, and a cable modem. I've
had the cable modem for about two months and that may be
about how long ago I got a successful Windows Update. In
attempting the update, I get the error message as part of
the opening page scan to see what is available for
update. I have not reached the point where I get to see
or choose any of the updates for download.
You asked me to check my \Windows folder for specific
logs. If by that you mean the Windows Internet Logs
folder, I have checked it and there are no Q or KB entries
there.
I downloaded Lavasoft Ad Aware 6.0 this afternoon and
used it to stomp out 36 pests lodged inside just in case
something was holding me back from getting to the site.
Still no joy.

>.

MowGreen [MVP]

Mar 13, 2004, 12:48:34 AM3/13/04
Bob,

Pardon the interruption, but advise you to boot to Safe Mode and run
AdAware one more time .

How to Start a Windows 98-Based Computer in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180902

While still in Safe Mode, run the Internet Explorer Repair tool :

Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177

Now check to see if the Winsock stack has been damaged . Download and run :
LSP Fix
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

If the Winsock is damaged it will attempt to repair it, if it's not, it
will inform you of this.

Do you have a firewall and an up to date antivirus program ? If not, get
both here, free for one year :

Select Windows ME as your OS then read the 3 pages. On the 3rd page
click on Computer Associates.

When you've done all of the above, go back to Windows Update.

MowGreen [MVP]
*-343-* Never Forgotten

anon...@discussions.microsoft.com

Mar 13, 2004, 6:43:07 AM3/13/04
>.

Maurice N

Mar 13, 2004, 8:26:49 AM3/13/04
Gello Bob:
Do follow Mow's advice.
The log files I referred to are created in the folder named \Windows. Now in your case, if the abort is way before the scan starts (or completes) or even before you pick any updates....then....you only have the *Windows Update.log* file to look at.
That's also in the \Windows folder.

Lucy [MSFT]

Mar 15, 2004, 1:26:48 PM3/15/04
Hi Guys!

Bob regarding error 0x80072733, could you please try the following and let
us known the results.

Please try Windows Update in between suggestions.

Suggestion 1:
Install the following Hotfix:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831167

Suggestion 2:
Register the following Dlls:

Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.
"REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok.
Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.
"REGSVR32 MSXML.DLL" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok.
Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.
"REGSVR32 ACTXPRXYDLL" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok.
Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.
"REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok.
Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.
"REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok.
Click Start >> Run >> Type the follow command in the Open box.
"REGSVR32 SHDOCVW.DLL" (w/o quotes)
Press Ok.

Let us know the results.

--
Thanks,
Lucy [MSFT]

"Maurice N" <mau...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Bob Williams

Mar 15, 2004, 3:57:35 PM3/15/04
You guys lead me in some scarey paths, but I fear no
evil. However, I do fear where you may try to lead me
next! I ran Ad Aware 6.0 in safe mode with no further
infestations. I ran the IE Repair Tool and got no error
msgs. I downloaded and ran LSPfix with no problems
noted. I still have no joy on the Windows Update access
and get the same error msg--0x80072733. I am not having
any problems accessing any other parts of the net or with
downloading anything from them; it's only the Windows
Update access. There, upon my arrival, it scans for
available updates and crashes back with the error msg
without listing available updates. Was noch?

>.

MowGreen [MVP]

Mar 16, 2004, 1:05:59 PM3/16/04
Bob,

Did you run the IE Repair Tool while in Safe Mode ? Is best to do so.
Are you using a Proxy server ?

Take a look at Lucy's reply 3/15 at 10:26 AM PST.

MowGreen [MVP]

Bob Williams

Mar 22, 2004, 11:07:07 PM3/22/04
Lucy,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get with the program
with this. Too much going on. Anyway, I downloaded the
KB831167 fix for posting problems. It didn't fix the
0x80072733 problem.
I then tried registering the dlls you gave me. Again,
no joy on getting a reply from the Update site.
Following Mow Green's question, I reran the IE Repair
Tool in Safe Mode to insure that I had done that. Still
no joy.
Someone asked a question about whether I was using a
proxy server. Based on what I can read about proxy
servers, I don't think so. My "chain" is IE, managed by
AdSubtract within Zone Alarm to a Motorola cable modem and
then up the chimney.
I don't think I've had any problems with any site
except the Windows Update site. However, tonight I tried
to work a reservation within Travelocity and ended up on
two pages that had all of my information but gave me no
button to push to send the information to them. I finally
bailed out and used the phone. This may or may not have
any bearing on our current problem.
I await my next scary mission!

Bob

>.

Bob Williams

Mar 22, 2004, 11:11:00 PM3/22/04
Dear Mow,

In replying to Lucy, I seem to have taken the thread
there rather than here. I don't know how you guys get to
see all this, but if it's anything like what I see, you
might want to continue the thread from my reply to Lucy.
Either way, I'll figure it out. Thanks for pointing her
reply out to me. I missed it completely.

Bob

>.

Jo

Jun 12, 2004, 3:35:01 PM6/12/04
Bob,

I also got this error message. After much trial and error, I discovered that if I turned off Zone Alarm Pro, the Update Detector page at
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

would give me a list of available updates.

Now, this really made me **extremely** unhappy. What is their system doing to mine that I should have to turn off my firewall merely to determine what updates I need?

If you decide to try deactivating your firewall, go to the Update page and be sure to close ALL other browser windows first. Then refresh the Update page.

****
Remember to re-activate your firewall **immediately** once the updates are installed.
****
Best Wishes!

Jo

Jun 12, 2004, 3:39:01 PM6/12/04

Don Cole

Jun 12, 2004, 4:13:13 PM6/12/04
Jo,

Go to "Privacy" on Zone Alarm Pro and turn off "Cookie Control", "Ad
Blocking" and "Mobile Code Control".

See how this set up runs. Turn them back on after you get what you need.

Don

Try just
"Jo" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message