Update for Windows XP (KB898461) Cannot install

Martek

Jul 5, 2005, 7:16:01 PM7/5/05
Update for Windows XP (KB898461) Cannot install

Error Code: 0x80070017 is Dispalyed anybody any ideas.
Cheers dave.

oknowhi

Jul 5, 2005, 8:14:02 PM7/5/05
Seems this same thing is happening to MANY folks from the posts here. Ever
sicne MS updated the update site. What you discribed happened to me exactly.
I finally went to the MS download site and found the updates by the KB number
that was listed there on the update site and updated my computer from there.
Since I updated my update site there have been 2 updates listed and neither
one would update from the Windows Update site. But I did get them installed
ok from the MS downloads site. Just did a search using the number, for
example : KB896344 and KB898461 were the ones I did that way. My computer is
running fine with nothing strange happening so maybe that is the way I will
install updates from now on.

Dan in Wisconsin

Herr_Mord

Jul 27, 2005, 1:26:22 PM7/27/05
To fix the issue with installing KB898461 simply rename the file:

c:\windows\system32\spupdsvc.exe

c:\windows\system32\spupdsvc.old

and then try the update again either through Windows Update or from the
full installer which can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=50c334e1-9a67-4b99-a65a-069b79267856&DisplayLang=en

It should now complete successfully and allow you to start getting
other updates as well.

weatherman

Aug 25, 2005, 2:57:31 AM8/25/05

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.B...@hydro.com> wrote in message

> Trevor Appleton wrote:
>
>> This update has attempted to install every time I've switched on my PC
>> for months now. Any way of getting rid of it or even installing the
>> update?
> Hi,
>
> Herr_Mord found that renaming c:\windows\system32\spupdsvc.exe
> solved the KB898461 install problem for him:
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/18fe5b48f9e8e589?hl=en&
>

> --
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Have done that then tried running the update 1st from the icon that
sits
permanently in the systray (for past 4 months). That was unsuccessful.

Then by downloading and saving WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe then
running
it.

As before I get ther message that the file is corrupt.

chelly

Jan 29, 2006, 9:46:29 PM1/29/06
Thank you!! After two hours of fishing for a cure and checking by BITS
settings, etc., this is the trick that fixed it!

burgerhart

Oct 5, 2006, 5:00:02 PM10/5/06
This is just great, after more than a year of trying (and then giving up) my
computer now succesfully installed the wretched update and I just completed
the 54 essential updates I'd missed since this KB would not work! Thank you!!

JOHN THE GREAT SCOT

May 6, 2007, 1:18:00 PM5/6/07
tried but cant find spupdsvc.exe

Code Ox80070003 any ideas@discussions.microsoft.com Error Code Ox80070003 any ideas

Feb 16, 2008, 11:16:00 AM2/16/08

nini2

Apr 25, 2009, 3:54:01 AM4/25/09
HOW do you rename the file as .old???? do you just add it to the end of the
file? It didn't work for me! >.<