RE: Windows Update failed Error Code: 80072EFD

ili_

Oct 23, 2004, 7:17:01 AM10/23/04
Hello again,
I went once again through posts here and found a solution given by "GK" and
repeated later by "Taurarian". It worked for me but also not at once. I had
to repeat described procedure twice for each update. But finally I made it.
Thank you guys for this protocol!!
Regards.

GK wrote:
Here is how I was able to work around the problem.
Using command prompt
1. proxycfg -d (to clear proxy cache)
2. net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)

Using Windows Explorer
3. Delete all files and folders in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution (your windows folder may vary)

Again using command prompt
4. net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service)

Try now going back to Windows Update web page.

Hotspring

Nov 19, 2004, 1:53:11 PM11/19/04
hello all

this is helpfull it got my problem solved...

thank you

rickobistro

Dec 2, 2004, 10:19:06 AM12/2/04
GK,

you are a genious! THANK YOU! This works perfectly.
Thank you, "lili_"

prsinger

Jan 9, 2005, 1:11:05 AM1/9/05
Another success with this method, after days of searching KB and trying
everything there. I hope this solution finds its way into the KB ASAP.

Thanks to all!!!

Ricks

Jan 11, 2005, 10:29:02 AM1/11/05

And worked for me.
Looks like this should be added to the Windows solution page.

Jules263

Feb 11, 2005, 9:05:01 PM2/11/05
Yeah!!! This is it!!!!!

It worked for me too. Thumbs up!!!

Thanks everybody

Oxon

Feb 18, 2005, 11:05:03 AM2/18/05
Well I've done quite a bit of searching the web and cleaning my system to
fix this problem but the only fix that works is the one ili_ has found on
here! Thanks :-)

Bulge

May 16, 2007, 7:04:00 AM5/16/07
Guys, hello there, you are fantastic!

The only thing is that I do not understand a thing you are saying: is there
anyone who can put me in writing the light versions of what you are saying
about the error code 80072EFD, in order to update with the Microsoft Security
Software?

GK wrote: Using command prompt (I have not even slightest idea what does it
mean: I believe there are some other people too, who think that it is so
complicated, sophisticated and above my head, that I would not even bother
myself to write anything to them, ...but I will). Is there anyone who dear to
answer me, as for simple cusiousity to teach us.

And this:

1. proxycfg -d (to clear proxy cache)
2. net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)

what does this mean in simplified representation: where do i have to click?
Deskilling the path for me, please!

I do not even know, how to delete all files and folders in Windows Explorer,
I cannot find C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution (your windows folder may vary,
but still).

And "Again using command prompt

4. net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service)

and I do not know how.

Could anybody write it down in plain language, what should I do and where do
I click next? I surely do appreciate the prompt answer.

But do not understand the philosophy of Microsoft: Down below it is said: As
is the practice of other software programs that interact with USENET
communities, the IP Address of your computer will be included in the header
of this post. More...
and when you click on the More...
there is an answer which contradict with the above sentence:
Once you complete your message, and click the Send button, your message is
processed and permanently posted to the discussion group.
...but I see below only Post and Close buttons, I do not see Send button.
Is it safe to talk with you anyway?
I'll make myself bold to do so, and I push the button Post (hope it reaches
you!)

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

May 16, 2007, 7:36:12 AM5/16/07
Some links to provide information
Error: 80072EFD = ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT
Translation: Cannot connect to the Internet server

When accessing the Update site, you receive the 0x80072EE2 or 0x80072EFD error.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=32&ln=en&IsMu=False

You may receive an "Error 0x80072EE2," "Error 0x80072EE7," "Error 0x80072EFD," "Error
0x80072F76," or "Error 0x80072F78" error message when you try to use the Windows Update
Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941
Step 6: Remove the proxy server
it explains - proxycfg -d (to clear proxy cache)

| 2. net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)

| | 4. net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service)

Finding a solution for the 0x80072EFD error
http://www.updatexp.com/0x80072efd.html

See also:

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you receive the 0x8024502d
error - WinXP.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=26&ln=en&IsMu=False

What causes Error 0x8024502d
http://www.updatexp.com/0x8024502d.html

To open a command prompt:
Click Start, select run and type: CMD

or Click Start, Select: All Programs, Select: Accessories, Select: Command Prompt

In plain English - stopping/starting and renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder -
although I don't think it's necessary for error 80072EFD but it's a magic cure for many -

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Equivalent of: net stop wuauserv (to stop Automatic updates service)
Can be done by either the above method or Click Start, Choose Run and type: net stop
wuauserv

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Equivalent of : net start wuauserv (to start Automatic updates service
Can be done by either the above method or Click Start , Choose Run and type: net start
wuauserv

Hope the above has been useful in explaining some of the things you have read.

HTH

--
====================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia

"Bulge" <Bu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bulge

May 16, 2007, 8:55:30 AM5/16/07
Thank you for your promt answer.
Still before I study your answer some errors or mistakes that appear in
Microsoft answer should be clarified:

MICROSOFT ANSWERED WHEN I PUT MYS QUERY ON DISCUSSION FORUM:

"A Microsoft Community member has responded to the thread "RE: Windows
Update failed Error Code: 80072EFD". Read the Response

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=m
icrosoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=XXXxxNNN-cccN-Nccc-NNNc-NcccNNNNNccc>

(I have changes the last numbers and letters for security reasons)

Click this link to continue receiving notifications for this thread.

<http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/aspx/threadnotify.aspx?dg=microsoft.public
.windowsupdate&ttype=xxxxxx=xxxid=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx&x
xx=xxxx%xx%xx%xxxxx.microsoft.com%xxxxmmunities%2fnewsgroups%2fen-us%2fdefault.aspx%3fdg%3dmicrosoft.public.windowsupdate%26mid%xxxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx&xxxxxxxxx=http%xx%xx%xxwww.microsoft.com%xxwxx%xxxxxx%xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&xxxxxxx=0&tname=RE%3a+Windows+Update+failed+Error+Code%3a+80072EFD>

Thank you for taking part in Microsoft Communities!

NOTE: Do not reply to this message. This e-mail message has been sent
from an unmonitored e-mail address. We are unable to respond to any
replies sent to this e-mail address."

For the goodness sake: ANYTIME ANYWHERE YOU DO LIKE YOU ARE TOLD BY THE
MICROSOFT TEAM, IT DOES NOT GO LIKE THEY WANTED! THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING,
WHICH DOES NOT COMPLY WITH OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. IT IS ALWAYS SO IN MY
COMPUTER! IS MY COMPUTER DIFFERENT? I BOUGHT IT IN NOVEMBER 2006, AND NEVER,
I MEAN N E V E R FROM THAT MOMENT I COULD WORK PROPERLY WITH THE COMPUTER
AT ALL!

And if you see the answer from Microsoft above, you can see that even
clicking on their address for to look at the answer I've got, it does not
work! First, the link is disrupted on "...public" and on "=m", not giving the
rest of it, if you have copied it to the browser. What is wrong with
Microsoft or with my computer? Sorry, I am so pissed off with all the mess
Microsoft is giving me, that I have struggled for 17 years, that I will
change to Apple Computer soon!

Now, after that message i shall try to study your answer, TaurArian.

Robin Walker [MVP]

May 16, 2007, 9:58:15 AM5/16/07
Bulge <Bu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> For the goodness sake: ANYTIME ANYWHERE YOU DO LIKE YOU ARE TOLD BY
> THE MICROSOFT TEAM, IT DOES NOT GO LIKE THEY WANTED! THERE IS ALWAYS
> SOMETHING, WHICH DOES NOT COMPLY WITH OTHER INSTRUCTIONS. IT IS
> ALWAYS SO IN MY COMPUTER! IS MY COMPUTER DIFFERENT? I BOUGHT IT IN
> NOVEMBER 2006, AND NEVER, I MEAN N E V E R FROM THAT MOMENT I COULD
> WORK PROPERLY WITH THE COMPUTER AT ALL!
>
> And if you see the answer from Microsoft above, you can see that even
> clicking on their address for to look at the answer I've got, it does
> not work! First, the link is disrupted on "...public" and on "=m",
> not giving the rest of it, if you have copied it to the browser. What
> is wrong with Microsoft or with my computer?

This appears to be a problem with whatever e-mail client you are using to
receive the e-mails. The URLs quoted by the automatic reminder service are
long, and have been line-wrapped for human legibility. But a good e-mail
client should recognise the "<" at the beginning of the URL, and join it up
with the ">" at the end of the URL, so that if you click on the URL, the
whole multi-line URL is automatically re-assembled and passed over to your
web browser.

You should not need to copy the URL to the browser, as the line-wraps will
make that impossible. You should just be able to click on the URL as a live
link.

Which e-mail client application are you using?

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rd...@cam.ac.uk

Bulge

May 16, 2007, 4:41:01 PM5/16/07
I am using e-mail client application from Saunalahti Finland.
For instance, it does not remind anything like Windows Outlook (Express).
What should I do next? Contact my e-mail provider, or what?

Robin Walker [MVP]

May 16, 2007, 5:17:04 PM5/16/07
Bulge <Bu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am using e-mail client application from Saunalahti Finland.
> For instance, it does not remind anything like Windows Outlook
> (Express). What should I do next? Contact my e-mail provider, or what?

The problem lies with the e-mail application, not with your e-mail service
provider.

am_ds

Jan 24, 2008, 7:26:01 AM1/24/08
Hi ili,

Your trick works Gr8

Thax for Posting

Love to all

Kishore Alanka@discussions.microsoft.com krishna Kishore Alanka

Mar 25, 2008, 9:40:03 AM3/25/08
Hi..
This is kishore from india.. my system upadated with automatic windows
updates.. then afther it occupys more place.. Can help plz..

Can i delete file in this "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"

MowGreen [MVP]

Mar 25, 2008, 1:42:54 PM3/25/08
Yes and NO ! The updates are temporarily stored in
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
they will be cycled out [deleted] according to a setting in the registry.
The other subfolders should NOT be tampered with unless the system has
corrupted core updating components/databases/transaction logs and the
end result is that the system can not download nor install updates.
To help mitigate such issues, read:

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

If you want to reclaim diskspace please read this:

I want to Save Space and delete unnecessary files after installing a
Windows Update patch or Service Pack.
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

193@discussions.microsoft.com Cobra 193

Aug 6, 2009, 9:53:02 AM8/6/09

Morning, I have tried the instructions below in both methods, the CMD prompt
and the run line. Neither works.. Any other suggestions?

bdehag

Feb 19, 2010, 9:02:49 AM2/19/10

Hey all,

A while ago I had the same error. Looked around on this board but
couldn't find a solution. I have another suggestion for this error that
might work.
You can find it 'here'
(http://syn.ac/common/66/msn-live-messenger-how-to-fix-error-80072efd/).

Hope it will be any good :)