Windows Defender Update Error 0x800700c1

Aquayogi

Nov 29, 2007, 3:11:00 PM11/29/07
A couple of days ago Vista downloaded a definition file for Windows Defender.
It did this at 3am. (I have now turned off the horrible auto-update feature)
Upon the next restart I get an Error message that says: Application failed to
initialize: 0x800700c1. On my update history it shows the update as a
failure. Now Defender won't run at all. If I select it from the program list
in the start menu, I get the same error. I tried doing a system restore, but
apparently you can't restore back to old definition files. Now Microsoft has
apparently given my an update that ruins my Defender program. Thanks a lot!!
I spent 3 hours with a Dell Technician, and he was unable to fix this error.
Microsoft does a HORRIBLE job explaining error codes. I scoured the internet,
as did the Dell guy, not finding a single mention of this code pertaining to
Windows Defender. It really bugs me to see an error message every time I turn
on my computer. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. It's sad that I
am considering downgrading to XP because of the many Vista errors, and am
wishing I would've spent $2,000 on Apple instead of Microsoft.

TaurArian

Nov 29, 2007, 3:48:16 PM11/29/07
800700C1 = is not a valid Win32 application

Try manually downloading and installing the update from the Threat Research and Response
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/

--
====================================
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

"Aquayogi" <Aqua...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Aquayogi

Nov 29, 2007, 4:48:02 PM11/29/07
I tried that, but to no avail...

PA Bear

Nov 29, 2007, 7:42:34 PM11/29/07
Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for Windows Defender support
and comments. This is not one of them.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

jessica

May 6, 2009, 7:11:01 PM5/6/09
I am having the same problem! Please help!

MowGreen

May 6, 2009, 8:57:02 PM5/6/09
> jessica wrote:
>
>> I am having the same problem! Please help!

So, read the same answer to the same problem that's right under you post.
If you can't see it, this what it says :

> "PA Bear" wrote:
>

>>> Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for Windows Defender support
>>> and comments. This is not one of them.
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

See it now ?

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY