Windows Update error 80200011

Message has been deleted

ch742718

Feb 27, 2009, 6:34:59 AM2/27/09

Running Vista Home Premium (32 bit).

Previously, using Ethernet/ADSL or Wi-Fi to connect to the internet I
have had no problems with Windows Update, however since switching to
dial-up via an HSDPA USB modem (Huawei E220) to connect to mobile
broadband, Windows Update fails with error 80200011.

I can download files via IE, including updates from the MS downdload
site, and can check for and see pending updates but cannot download
them. I have traced the fault so far to the BITS client, and the error
is listed here:

'Event ID 63 ? Jobs'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734580.aspx)
0x80200011 BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE When BITS sends a HEAD request and
the server or proxy does not return a Content-Length header in the
response, BITS puts the job in ERROR state with BG_E_MISSING_FILE_SIZE.
Check the proxy and server to ensure that they are configured correctly.
Some versions of the Apache 2.0 proxy server are known to exhibit this
behavior.

When looking at the BITS job that WU creates, I can see the URL and can
then copy this to IE and successfully download the file, so it appears
to be an issue with how BITS downloads files, as opposed to how IE
downloads. As far as I can tell there is no proxy, so the Apache
reference may be a red herring. Also friends using the same
modem/service, but with Windows XP have no problems.

I have tried clearing the SoftwareDistribution folder, reinstalling WU,
checking BITS (no errors) etc. I am also running NIS2008 but disabling
this does not help. The error is also present when I try to use the
Windows Update Catalog or Windows Defender (as I believe both also use
BITS).

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
ch742718

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 27, 2009, 4:14:34 PM2/27/09
There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
hijackware infection.

2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

ch742718 wrote:
> Running Vista Home Premium (32 bit).
>
> Previously, using Ethernet/ADSL or Wi-Fi to connect to the internet I
> have had no problems with Windows Update, however since switching to
> dial-up via an HSDPA USB modem (Huawei E220) to connect to mobile
> broadband, Windows Update fails with error 80200011.
>
> I can download files via IE, including updates from the MS downdload
> site, and can check for and see pending updates but cannot download
> them. I have traced the fault so far to the BITS client, and the
> error is listed here:
>

> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734580.aspx

ch742718

Feb 28, 2009, 4:16:35 AM2/28/09
On Feb 27, 10:14 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a very good chance are that you are seeing the affects of a
> hijackware infection.
>
> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>
> 2. Run this online scan (in safe mode w/networking, if need be):http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackwarehttp://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htmhttp://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.htmlhttp://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htmhttp://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> **Seek expert assistance inhttp://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums.**

> =====================
> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

> subsidiary.  There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/
> > Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.- Hide quoted text -

What indication do you have for this? I see not indication of any
malware. All scans report clean.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 28, 2009, 2:11:01 PM2/28/09
Repost:

> Start a free Windows Update support incident
> request:https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

TaurArian

Feb 28, 2009, 5:06:57 PM2/28/09

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958047
Step 2: Clear the BITS queue of any current jobs

Not exact error code but did you try also clearing the BITS queue of any
current jobs and then clear the softwaredistribution folder and rebooting.

Otherwise do as suggested - start a free incident report.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Message has been deleted

Engel

Feb 27, 2009, 11:02:18 AM2/27/09
Test this diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts are working and a
new Validation tool
<http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/>

Doesn't hurt to try the link
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=50690629-60e2-44ff-8fa6-d5a88f17e2c7&mid=50690629-60e2-44ff-8fa6-d5a88f17e2c7>

Please post any feed back, so that it will assist others with Vista as they
need all the help they can get.

Good luck

ƎиçΞᴌ
-=-

ch742718

Mar 1, 2009, 12:08:54 PM3/1/09

Thanks but already tried and tested the Genuine tool (& passed) and seen
the post from the link you provided.