Windows Update [Error number: 0x80070420]

Joe

Dec 31, 2005, 6:08:02 AM12/31/05
When trying to update my computer, I recieved this error message (subject).
I have had this OS (pre-installed through Dell). Went to Update site Monthly
(or bi-weekly), whenever I feel froggie to do so. I thought I could update
my computer recently but came across this error message.

It stated that "Files required to use Windows Update are no longer
registered or installed on your computer. To continue"
...and then gave me an option to "Register or reinstall the files for me now
(Recommended)"
... or Read more about the issue.

I have Windows XP (home) with SP2 and all of the updates (definately through
November 2005, if not December). I am just unsure how this message can come
up and tell me this when I have all of the updates required and I have been
loyal in updating. Does anyone know what is going on here?

lrice59

Dec 31, 2005, 11:11:02 AM12/31/05
lrice59 wrote: getting Dell Expert Application: We have encountered a problem
and has to close.Sorry

Joe

Dec 31, 2005, 2:15:02 PM12/31/05
I am unclear in what you wrote.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Dec 31, 2005, 4:53:24 PM12/31/05
Windows Update v6 installs client controls when you vist the site. If they are missing or
unregistered the site doesn't work properly. What you're being offered is a self repair option to
re-register/repair the files.

Did you select the option to register/reinstall the files for me now?

If you did, and there was no change -

then some users have reported that simply re-registering the MSXML3.DLL seems to fix the problem.
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type: regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL
Press okay

If that hasn't helped you may need to re-registered some more files:

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type (pressing okay after each one) :-

net stop wuauserv

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

net start wuauserv

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Joe" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

lrice59

Dec 31, 2005, 5:20:01 PM12/31/05

Joe

Jan 2, 2006, 4:20:01 AM1/2/06
Yes, I have done the self re-register/repair the files selection, then I have
tried your suggestion of the START - RUN- REGSVR for the whole way down, am
I suppose to repeat this for more than once? also, shall I have my
web-browser closed while attempting this? Is there any other suggestions?

All I know is that I have followed your post the whole way down and still, I
recieve the same problem. Thanks for the help so far ( as well as future
help).

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Jan 2, 2006, 4:40:52 AM1/2/06
Re-install Windows Update files

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

Note If you have an x64-based computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x64.exe

Click Save in the File Download-Security Warning dialog box, and then select the location where you
want to save the file.
Double-click the file that you saved

NB - A note from Torgeir Bakken [MVP]

Note that if it says "Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed.", run
the exe with the command line switch /wuforce, like this:
WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce

Close IE and then restart IE and try visiting the WU site again.

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Joe" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Joe

Jan 4, 2006, 3:07:03 PM1/4/06
This last one did work and helped fixed the problem. Prior to this fix, I
was able to search for express updates but not the customized updates.
Thanks for all of the help. I really appriciate it.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Jan 4, 2006, 3:40:54 PM1/4/06
Thanks for the feedback, pleased it's fixed now.
Kaylene

--
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006