0x8DDD004 can't access windows update

graham

Aug 27, 2005, 6:27:02 PM8/27/05
I can't get into the update area as I get the following message and error
code 0x8DDD004

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
Refresh the page.
In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the
Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.
If these steps don’t work, try visiting the site later or using the
resources provided below.

I have tried everything suggested including running pc pitstop to check
activex and xp readiness both of which were +ve. The information bar below
the web address does not appear for me to install activex is this pointing at
a problem?
If anybody can help I would be very grateful.
--
graham

PA Bear

Aug 27, 2005, 6:50:53 PM8/27/05
Windows version?

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

graham wrote:
> I can't get into the update area as I get the following message and error
> code 0x8DDD004
>
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
> Refresh the page.
> In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the
> Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
> Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.

> If these steps donā?Tt work, try visiting the site later or using the

graham

Aug 27, 2005, 7:11:03 PM8/27/05
Hi
I have xp pro sp1. I did have sp2 on the pc but it had a major breakdown and
I had to use the restore disk. I will try your suggestions

thanks
--
graham

"PA Bear" wrote:

> > If these steps donâ?Tt work, try visiting the site later or using the

TaurArian [MVP]

Aug 28, 2005, 2:26:08 AM8/28/05
Reinstall Windows Update Engine
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

"graham" <gra...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Aug 28, 2005, 6:39:12 PM8/28/05
Kaylene, can you post a URL where users can find this link, please?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

TaurArian [MVP]

Aug 28, 2005, 7:58:04 PM8/28/05
Hi PA Bear,

I haven't been able to actually find a specific link for this so I just did
a did a google search now and came up with this:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wua_sdk/wua/updating_the_windows_update_agent.asp
Updating the Windows Update Agent

scroll towards the end:-
Because 5.8.0.2339 is a later version than 5.8.0.2330, a later version of
WUA for x86 computers is available in the installation package. In this
example, a later version of the WUA can be downloaded and installed onto the
computer from the URL specified by the value of downloadUrl:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe.

Kaylene

PA Bear

Aug 28, 2005, 9:33:43 PM8/28/05
Thanks so much.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Aug 29, 2005, 7:02:39 AM8/29/05
TaurArian [MVP] wrote:

> Hi PA Bear,
>
> I haven't been able to actually find a specific link for this so I just did
> a did a google search now and came up with this:-
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wua_sdk/wua/updating_the_windows_update_agent.asp
> Updating the Windows Update Agent
>
> scroll towards the end:-
> Because 5.8.0.2339 is a later version than 5.8.0.2330, a later version of
> WUA for x86 computers is available in the installation package. In this
> example, a later version of the WUA can be downloaded and installed onto the
> computer from the URL specified by the value of downloadUrl:
> http://download.windowsupdate.com/v6/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe.
>
> Kaylene

Hi,

The download link is listed at the MBSA 2.0 FAQ site as well
(under the question "MBSA uses files that it downloads from the
Internet, but the computer I want to use to scan my network doesn't
have Internet access. How can I use MBSA in this case?").
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsa2/qa.mspx

For x86-based computers (WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe)

(above file will work for Win2k SP3 and SP4, WinXP RTM/SP1/SP2, and
Win2k3 RTM/SP1)

For x64-based computers (WindowsUpdateAgent20-x64.exe):

For Itanium-based computers (WindowsUpdateAgent20-ia64.exe):

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

TaurArian [MVP]

Aug 29, 2005, 8:07:03 PM8/29/05
Thanks Torgeir, I'll update my notes.