Windows Vista update error 652 failed , anyone help?

Steve

Nov 12, 2008, 11:05:01 PM11/12/08
Windows Vista update error 652 failed , anyone help?
Last night Nov 11, 2008 tried updates, and an IMPORTANT update failed, I
tried over and over and it kept failing, with code 652 error, can anyone
help? Thanks!
I tried disabling firewalls and virus protection it stil did failed over and
over.
I don't want to be without an important update.

Here is the update

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)

Download size: 5.4 MB

TaurArian

Nov 12, 2008, 11:57:02 PM11/12/08
Hi there, please read the known issues here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

If appropriate either manually install the update or seek assistance from MS
regarding the update.

"To work around this problem, manually install the security update from the
Microsoft Download Center, and then click Ignore when the error message is
displayed. To confirm that the installation was successful, verify that the
version of the Msxml4.dll file in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder is
4.20.9848.0."

"How to obtain help and support for this security update
the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4
North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552
your usual support contacts. "

corg...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2008, 2:27:00 AM11/13/08

go to %WINDOWS%|SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything.
then re-run windows update and re-download the patch.

Evil overlord of <a href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>

Steve

Nov 13, 2008, 4:36:01 AM11/13/08

"corg...@gmail.com" wrote:

> On Nov 13, 12:57 pm, TaurArian <taurar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there, please read the known issues here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
> >
> > If appropriate either manually install the update or seek assistance from MS
> > regarding the update.
> >
> > "To work around this problem, manually install the security update from the
> > Microsoft Download Center, and then click Ignore when the error message is
> > displayed. To confirm that the installation was successful, verify that the
> > version of the Msxml4.dll file in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder is
> > 4.20.9848.0."
> >
> > "How to obtain help and support for this security update
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
> > International Support Web site:http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4
> > North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
> > no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting

> > the following Microsoft Web site:http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default..aspx?&prid=7552

> > For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
> > your usual support contacts. "
> >
> > --
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
> >
> > "Steve" wrote:
> > > Windows Vista update error 652 failed , anyone help?
> > > Last night Nov 11, 2008 tried updates, and an IMPORTANT update failed, I
> > > tried over and over and it kept failing, with code 652 error, can anyone
> > > help? Thanks!
> > > I tried disabling firewalls and virus protection it stil did failed over and
> > > over.
> > > I don't want to be without an important update.
> >
> > > Here is the update
> >
> > > Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)
> >
> > > Download size: 5.4 MB
>
> go to %WINDOWS%|SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete everything.
> then re-run windows update and re-download the patch.

So how do I get to go to %WINDOWS%|SoftwareDistribution\Download
where do I type it in?
I thank you for your help, I am sorry I have to be told things step by step.
Yes, I know I am rather new at this.

Engel

Nov 13, 2008, 9:33:01 AM11/13/08
Hello Steve,

Go to COMPUTER

Double click C:

Open the folder WINDOWS

Search for the folder SOFTWARDISTRIBUTION and open it.

Look for the folder DOWNLOAD and open.

Delete ALL the content. (Keep the folder DOWNLOAD)

Reboot
-=-

Use Disk Cleanup which is built into Windows Vista.
Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean.
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1264bc24-72a8-48aa-84e3-a355327139d91033.mspx>
-=-

That is all Steve.
-=-

Luigi Stilo

Nov 15, 2008, 12:25:00 PM11/15/08
I am completely agree with Engel,
and, more, you can use an external utility like PortUp
(www.portableupdate.com) to completely control your update process, also if
disconnected from internet.

Bye

luigi

skillon

Jun 29, 2009, 12:05:01 AM6/29/09

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jun 29, 2009, 2:37:00 AM6/29/09

Bad spammer spamming badly!

@discussions.microsoft.com avni

Jul 29, 2009, 12:12:02 PM7/29/09

Robert Aldwinckle

Jul 29, 2009, 5:05:57 PM7/29/09

"avni" <avni @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0677B813-AB98-4A21...@microsoft.com...

11/12/2008 8:04 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=652+mvp&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=09a86bc5-cb1a-42a7-8185-105f5887ce58&mid=e2a8abf4-df00-4217-9c5f-65944721200d

Nobody even bothered to check whether the code was decimal or hex...

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>net helpmsg 652
652 is not a valid Windows network message number.

E:\>set /a c = 0x652
1618

E:\>net helpmsg %c%

Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.

</cmd_output>

My guess is hex. ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

sinr764

Nov 26, 2009, 3:55:01 PM11/26/09

matt murray

Nov 28, 2009, 6:03:43 PM11/28/09

I was having same problem error 652, I followed instruction from engel
and now my updates dont work, my internet connection has an X thru it,
spy bot says in not running as administrator,Disc clean freezes and
other weired stuff.

Why? please help

--
matt murray
matt murray's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/159110.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Nov 28, 2009, 6:26:37 PM11/28/09
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.