Security Update KB971486 is trying to install over and over

2harts4ever

Oct 15, 2009, 11:37:08 AM10/15/09

For the record I am using a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3300+, 2411MHz/1.93
GBs RAM, running Windows Xp Home, SP3., with IE8.

This morning I downloaded and installed all the monthly Security Updates
released
from Microsoft.

About an hour later I noticed I had another update notification in my
taskbar so
I installed it too. Then I discovered it was one I had already downloaded
and installed
(KB971486) earlier in the morning.

Even now, about six hours later, I still have a notification in my taskbar
that I
have an Update ready to install and it is still the same one I have already
installed
twice today.

I tried submitting this same question to the Microsoft Windows XP (General)
forum this morning
but when checking the site about 30 minutes ago I discovered my question
hadn't
even been posted and I noticed there were no other posts for today either
which is
strange in itself.

Regardless, is any one else experiencing this problem or have any idea what
is the
problem?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

2harts4ever

Oct 15, 2009, 12:26:04 PM10/15/09
UPDATE: I submitted this question yesterday on the Win XP General Question
forum too and then discovered it hadn't appeared so I decided to try this
forum and now today I discover both of them appeared. Sorry for any
confusion this might have caused

Ǝиçεl

Oct 15, 2009, 1:48:17 PM10/15/09

Phil, Give this a tяy and see if it solves the problem................

Ǝиçεl
-=-

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Oct 15, 2009, 2:16:02 PM10/15/09
See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971486
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

2harts4ever

Oct 15, 2009, 2:20:39 PM10/15/09
Hi Ǝиçεl,

Thanks for the suggestion but when I couldn't post here yesterday for one
reason or another I went to 'Annoyances' and posted this same question.
Someone there recommended I try that solution too.

So, this morning I tried what you suggested step by step with no positive
results. So I am still stuck with my computer telling me the update is
installed while 'Secunia PSI' says it is not.

I see a few other people have posted on the Secunia PSI forum having the
same problem as me with the same update so at least someone else is sharing
my pain.

What I am really trying to find out at this point is if I am safe or not
until this gets figured out?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever (Phil)

MowGreen

Oct 15, 2009, 5:42:10 PM10/15/09
Check the KB971486.log, located in WINDOWS, to see what is interfering
with the update's installation.
Or, clean boot XP and see if that gets the automatically downloaded
update to install properly:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

When the kernel is replaced, as it is from this update, security
software may interfere with the operation.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

DM

Oct 16, 2009, 8:53:01 AM10/16/09
I am having the same problem. When I checked the error message in the log it
says "17.219: KB971486 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is
not correct." How can I correct this?

2harts4ever

Oct 16, 2009, 10:47:01 AM10/16/09
Morning DM,

I share your pain. I am still lookingm for the fix too.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how I find the log you are
referring to, then I can check mine and see if it has something similar to
yours. When I select to show hidden files I see KB471486 is listed as
installed but I have yet to find this log you are talking about.

I have to do some running with my mother (87 years old) right now but I will
check back in when I get back this afternoon.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

DM

Oct 16, 2009, 12:11:02 PM10/16/09
Go to START, click RUN and then %Windir%\KB971486.log.

DM

Oct 16, 2009, 1:05:01 PM10/16/09
I found a solution on another website that worked for me:

Step 1: Remove KB971486 in Add or Remove Programs
1. Click "Start", click "Run", type: appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then
click "OK".

Note: Be sure to have "Show updates" checked (if Service Pack 2 for XP is
installed).

2. Look for updates KB971486.
3. Please highlight and remove it.
4. Restart Windows as required.

Step 2: Reinstall KB971486
====================
1. Please download the file from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/4...486-x86-ENU.exe

2. Save the update to C: drive. (Do not run the update directly)
3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem"
(without quotations) and then press Enter to install the update.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe" and
"/overwriteoem”.

After this, restart the computer and then try to visit the Windows Update
site to check if the Update KB971486 is still listed.

richard

Oct 16, 2009, 1:31:20 PM10/16/09
Another solution: I followed Pa Bear's advice and phoned 1-866 pcsafety.
A microsoft agent (in India) took control of my computer and solved the
problem by removing old logs, etc.

richard

richard

Oct 16, 2009, 1:35:32 PM10/16/09

PS: Here is exactly what the agent did:
Renamed Catroot2 and software distribution folders and re-registered the
windows update dll files.

richard

2harts4ever

Oct 16, 2009, 1:58:02 PM10/16/09

Hi DM,

Thanks for your suggestion but before I try it I have a few questions.

1. Earlier when I tried getting rid of it via Add/Remove Programs I
received a warning that if I got rid of KB971486 there was a chance I would
corrupt two other files, so I backed off. Did you get such a warning?

2. I am using Win XP Home SP3, would that make a difference?

3. When I clicked on the link you provided I got the 'webpage can't be
found' message.

Thanks,

2harts4ever

richard

Oct 16, 2009, 2:49:47 PM10/16/09

To be cautious, you might call pc safety, as noted in my post.
richard

DM

Oct 16, 2009, 3:48:23 PM10/16/09
Yes, that happened to me too. I clicked OK to let it be removed.

Here's the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/4/C/C4C963C1-E226-4A36-B903-6053D8F907FA/WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe

you will be prompted to run or save the file... save it.

2harts4ever

Oct 16, 2009, 5:58:01 PM10/16/09
DM,

BULLSEYE! It worked for me too!

I followed your directions and after it was all said and done both 'Belarc
Advisor' and 'Secunia PSI' gave me a clean bill of health.

It now shows as being installed and Windows Update is no longer telling me
to install it again.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

You made mine!

Regards,

2harts4ever

DM

Oct 16, 2009, 6:21:01 PM10/16/09
Glad to have helped! Though I must say I only followed somebody else's
workaround on the net...

2harts4ever

Oct 16, 2009, 7:38:01 PM10/16/09
Well I am glad you took the time to post it on this site ....

2harts4ever

Oct 16, 2009, 8:15:02 PM10/16/09
Hi again DM,

Thought you might like to see you are also helping other folks:

Forum</a>

Regards,

2harts4ever

nowurtalkin

Oct 17, 2009, 3:19:18 AM10/17/09
heck...i have had this same issue since the updates came out & i installed.
it took me several days of searching until i found my way here to see this
thread of folks w/same issue & was happy about seeing that, but unfortunately
this "fix" is not working for me, but i'm running into a snag w/the
instructs, as given, so maybe that's the reason it isn't working. i.e., i
can't complete #3:

<<3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe
/overwriteoem"
(without quotations) and then press Enter to install the update.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe" and
"/overwriteoem”.

when i hit "enter", i get an error & i cannot install via that method,
however, if i opt for "search", in the "start/run" box, i can then install
the saved update that i had saved on my desktop, and everything appears to
work as it should, same as all the other original attempts to install this
update, but in the end, the result is the same: it's not really or properly
installed & i can't get rid of the (downloaded) ms icon in the tray. this
sucks.........

After this, restart the computer and then try to visit the Windows Update
site to check if the Update KB971486 is still listed.>>

2harts4ever

Oct 17, 2009, 7:22:01 AM10/17/09
Are you sure you are leaving a space between exe --- /overwriteoem?

Go to Start > Run and type:

C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Oct 17, 2009, 2:44:03 PM10/17/09
2harts4ever wrote:

> Are you sure you are leaving a space between exe --- /overwriteoem?
>
> Go to Start > Run and type:
>
> C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem

That's not going to work, because he saved the file on his desktop, not on the
root of the C drive.

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Oct 17, 2009, 2:46:46 PM10/17/09
nowurtalkin wrote:

> however, if i opt for "search", in the "start/run" box, i can then install
> the saved update that i had saved on my desktop, and everything appears to
> work as it should, same as all the other original attempts to install this
> update, but in the end, the result is the same: it's not really or properly
> installed

Have you tried installing it in Safe Mode?

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software before installing?

Harry.

MowGreen

Oct 17, 2009, 3:15:58 PM10/17/09
Fix for the repeated offering of KB971468 in Windows XP
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1579

What's happening is that the kernel files are being interpreted as OEM
drivers, Harry. From an OP's KB971486.log:

69.340: c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is in the list of oem
drivers...skipping copy!
80.656: c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe is in the list of oem
drivers...skipping copy!

The update's files are then never copied to the Windows directory and no
restart prompt is given.

" The workaround is:

1) IF KB971468 is listed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel,
then uninstall it and restart the system. If it is NOT listed, go to step 2

2) Manually download the update from the Microsoft Download Center and
save it.
Recommend it be saved directly to the root drive (the drive where
Windows is installed to, usually C:\):

Security Update for Windows XP (KB971486) x86 - 32 bit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cece4c55-0756-4357-9d2d-6709e8426068&displaylang=en

Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB971486)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5459b7d4-1fab-4a04-ab9d-b8323505c1e2

3) Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers
4) Install KB971486 by clicking Start > Run > Browse
Click the My Computer icon in the left frame
Click on the root drive in the right frame (in this case it's C:\),
Click the Open button

Click once on WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe to highlight it, click Open
Add the /o switch to overwrite the OEM infs

C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /o

Note that there's a space between the e and the /

Then click OK and the update will install.
When it's finished installing there should be a restart prompt.
Do so and the update will not be repeatedly offered. "

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

nowurtalkin

Oct 17, 2009, 3:45:01 PM10/17/09
yes, i'm sure..in fact i thought it easier & more accurate to simply
copy/paste in, the address & i rechecked it & retried it many times, so it
definitely doesn't work for me, however.......the original issue (repeating
update) has now finally (after nearly a week of hammerin on it) resolved. i'm
not sure what finally did it, but i'm pretty sure that whatever was the true
root cause (ms?) resolved itself. i think it really sucks on their part
(guilty or not..) w/so many obvious people suffering the issue, that ms (as
far as i know) has naught to say.
thanx for your response.

nowurtalkin

Oct 17, 2009, 5:01:01 PM10/17/09
2harts4ever,

incidently, if u happen to be interested in the exact error that was
generated (with the "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem"), let
me know & i'll see if i can still duplicate it, to at least copy/paste the
text of it, for you.

2harts4ever

Oct 17, 2009, 5:20:01 PM10/17/09
Not necessary ... just glad you are back to normal now.

MowGreen

Oct 19, 2009, 2:01:28 PM10/19/09
CORRECTION: the update in question is *KB971486*.
That's what I get for watching a baseball game while trying to write a
blog post.
Me = ditz

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

jamespavey

Jan 24, 2010, 12:11:19 PM1/24/10

Don't Do This!!

This does not solve the blue screen dump error problem!

If the KB971486 update causes you to get a blue screen dump error you can recover by booting with your program disk then using "chdir $ntuninstallkb971486$\spuninst"
then "Batch spuninst.txt"
then "exit"

You MUST disable the automatic updates or Windows will reinstall this update and the problem will continue.

I am working on this and am running out of solutions. If you don't install the update you get a DEP error. If you disable the updates, then programs like McAfee tell you there is a protection issue and will reset the automatic updates if you click the "Fix". My last resort is to run a HijackThis log and get it out to a techie to see if they can find a solution.

In the meanwhile. Just click through any notices you get from DEP or anything that would enable automatic updates and certainly do not allow KB971486 to reinstall itself. Hopefully someone will figure this out before long, because it seems to be affecting a lot of people.

DM wrote:

I found a solution on another website that worked for me:Step 1: Remove

16-Oct-09

[...]

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:37 AM
2harts4ever wrote:

Security Update KB971486 is trying to install over and over
Hi,

[...]

had not

even been posted and I noticed there were no other posts for today either
which is
strange in itself.

Regardless, is any one else experiencing this problem or have any idea what
is the
problem?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:26 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

UPDATE: I submitted this question yesterday on the Win XP General
UPDATE: I submitted this question yesterday on the Win XP General Question

forum too and then discovered it had not appeared so I decided to try this

forum and now today I discover both of them appeared. Sorry for any
confusion this might have caused

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:48 PM
???el wrote:

Phil, Give this a t??
Phil, Give this a t??y and see if it solves the problem................

????????l
-=-

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:16 PM

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

See the "How to obtain help" section ofhttp://support.microsoft.
See the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971486
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

2harts4ever wrote:

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:20 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

Hi ????????
Hi ????????l,

Thanks for the suggestion but when I could not post here yesterday for one

reason or another I went to 'Annoyances' and posted this same question.
Someone there recommended I try that solution too.

So, this morning I tried what you suggested step by step with no positive
results. So I am still stuck with my computer telling me the update is
installed while 'Secunia PSI' says it is not.

I see a few other people have posted on the Secunia PSI forum having the
same problem as me with the same update so at least someone else is sharing
my pain.

What I am really trying to find out at this point is if I am safe or not
until this gets figured out?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever (Phil)

"????????l" wrote:

On Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:42 PM
MowGreen wrote:

Check the KB971486.

Check the KB971486.log, located in WINDOWS, to see what is interfering
with the update's installation.
Or, clean boot XP and see if that gets the automatically downloaded
update to install properly:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

When the kernel is replaced, as it is from this update, security
software may interfere with the operation.

MowGreen

===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

2harts4ever wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 8:53 AM
DM wrote:

I am having the same problem.
I am having the same problem. When I checked the error message in the log it
says "17.219: KB971486 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is
not correct." How can I correct this?

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 10:47 AM
2harts4ever wrote:

Morning DM,I share your pain. I am still lookingm for the fix too.
Morning DM,

I share your pain. I am still lookingm for the fix too.

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how I find the log you are
referring to, then I can check mine and see if it has something similar to
yours. When I select to show hidden files I see KB471486 is listed as
installed but I have yet to find this log you are talking about.

I have to do some running with my mother (87 years old) right now but I will
check back in when I get back this afternoon.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

"DM" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 12:11 PM
DM wrote:

Go to START, click RUN and then %Windir%\KB971486.log."2harts4ever" wrote:
Go to START, click RUN and then %Windir%\KB971486.log.

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 1:05 PM
DM wrote:

[...]

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 1:31 PM
richard wrote:

2harts4ever wrote:Another solution: I followed Pa Bear's advice and phoned

2harts4ever wrote:
Another solution: I followed Pa Bear's advice and phoned 1-866 pcsafety.
A microsoft agent (in India) took control of my computer and solved the
problem by removing old logs, etc.

richard

On Friday, October 16, 2009 1:35 PM
richard wrote:

richard wrote:PS: Here is exactly what the agent did:Renamed Catroot2 and
richard wrote:

PS: Here is exactly what the agent did:
Renamed Catroot2 and software distribution folders and re-registered the
windows update dll files.

richard

On Friday, October 16, 2009 1:58 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

Hi DM,Thanks for your suggestion but before I try it I have a few questions.1.
Hi DM,

Thanks for your suggestion but before I try it I have a few questions.

1. Earlier when I tried getting rid of it via Add/Remove Programs I
received a warning that if I got rid of KB971486 there was a chance I would
corrupt two other files, so I backed off. Did you get such a warning?

2. I am using Win XP Home SP3, would that make a difference?

3. When I clicked on the link you provided I got the 'webpage cannot be
found' message.

Thanks,

2harts4ever

"DM" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 2:49 PM
richard wrote:

2harts4ever wrote:
2harts4ever wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 3:48 PM
DM wrote:

Yes, that happened to me too. I clicked OK to let it be removed.
Yes, that happened to me too. I clicked OK to let it be removed.

Here is the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/4/C/C4C963C1-E226-4A36-B903-6053D8F907FA/WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe

you will be prompted to run or save the file... save it.

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 5:58 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

DM,BULLSEYE! It worked for me too!
DM,

BULLSEYE! It worked for me too!

I followed your directions and after it was all said and done both 'Belarc
Advisor' and 'Secunia PSI' gave me a clean bill of health.

It now shows as being installed and Windows Update is no longer telling me
to install it again.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

You made mine!

Regards,

2harts4ever

"DM" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 6:21 PM
DM wrote:

Glad to have helped!
Glad to have helped! Though I must say I only followed somebody else's
workaround on the net...

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 7:38 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

Well I am glad you took the time to post it on this site ...."DM" wrote:
Well I am glad you took the time to post it on this site ....

"DM" wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2009 8:15 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

Hi again DM,Thought you might like to see you are also helping other folks:<a
Hi again DM,

Thought you might like to see you are also helping other folks:

Regards,

2harts4ever

"DM" wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:19 AM
nowurtalkin wrote:

heck...i have had this same issue since the updates came out & i installed.
heck...i have had this same issue since the updates came out & i installed.
it took me several days of searching until i found my way here to see this
thread of folks w/same issue & was happy about seeing that, but unfortunately
this "fix" is not working for me, but i'm running into a snag w/the

instructs, as given, so maybe that is the reason it is not working. i.e., i
cannot complete #3:

<<3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe
/overwriteoem"
(without quotations) and then press Enter to install the update.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe" and

"/overwriteoem???.

when i hit "enter", i get an error & i cannot install via that method,
however, if i opt for "search", in the "start/run" box, i can then install
the saved update that i had saved on my desktop, and everything appears to
work as it should, same as all the other original attempts to install this

update, but in the end, the result is the same: it is not really or properly
installed & i cannot get rid of the (downloaded) ms icon in the tray. this
sucks.........

After this, restart the computer and then try to visit the Windows Update
site to check if the Update KB971486 is still listed.>>

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:22 AM
2harts4ever wrote:

Are you sure you are leaving a space between exe --- /overwriteoem?
Are you sure you are leaving a space between exe --- /overwriteoem?

Go to Start > Run and type:

C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem

"nowurtalkin" wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:44 PM
Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

2harts4ever wrote:That's not going to work, because he saved the file on his
2harts4ever wrote:

That's not going to work, because he saved the file on his desktop, not on the
root of the C drive.

Harry.

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 2:46 PM
Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

nowurtalkin wrote:Have you tried installing it in Safe Mode?
nowurtalkin wrote:

Have you tried installing it in Safe Mode?

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software before installing?

Harry.

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:15 PM
MowGreen wrote:

" The workaround is:

Click on the root drive in the right frame (in this case it is C:\),
Click the Open button

Click once on WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe to highlight it, click Open
Add the /o switch to overwrite the OEM infs

C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /o

Note that there is a space between the e and the /

Then click OK and the update will install.

When it is finished installing there ishould be a restart prompt.

Do so and the update will not be repeatedly offered. "

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:45 PM
nowurtalkin wrote:

yes, i'm sure..
yes, i'm sure..in fact i thought it easier & more accurate to simply
copy/paste in, the address & i rechecked it & retried it many times, so it

definitely does not work for me, however.......the original issue (repeating

update) has now finally (after nearly a week of hammerin on it) resolved. i'm
not sure what finally did it, but i'm pretty sure that whatever was the true
root cause (ms?) resolved itself. i think it really sucks on their part
(guilty or not..) w/so many obvious people suffering the issue, that ms (as
far as i know) has naught to say.
thanx for your response.

"2harts4ever" wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:01 PM
nowurtalkin wrote:

2harts4ever,incidently, if u happen to be interested in the exact error that
2harts4ever,

incidently, if u happen to be interested in the exact error that was
generated (with the "C:\WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe /overwriteoem"), let
me know & i'll see if i can still duplicate it, to at least copy/paste the
text of it, for you.

"nowurtalkin" wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:20 PM
2harts4ever wrote:

Not necessary ... just glad you are back to normal now."nowurtalkin" wrote:
Not necessary ... just glad you are back to normal now.

"nowurtalkin" wrote:

On Monday, October 19, 2009 2:01 PM
MowGreen wrote:

CORRECTION: the update in question is *KB971486*.
CORRECTION: the update in question is *KB971486*.
That's what I get for watching a baseball game while trying to write a
blog post.
Me = ditz

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

MowGreen wrote:

Self-Caching Database Driven ASP.NET DropDown
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/27c611d3-4652-46ab-aef6-11e7a577a80e/selfcaching-database-dri.aspx

MowGreen

Jan 24, 2010, 2:05:03 PM1/24/10
If you don't give MS feedback they will *never* be aware that there are
toxic effects from a Security update.
Hiding the update does NOT mitigate the vulnerability the update is
meant to address, albeit, this is *not* a Critical vulnerability.

Letting Microsoft know that there's a BSOD issue when the update is
installed on *some* systems would help others who *may* also encounter
this issue, wouldn't it ?

" How to obtain help and support for this security update

in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local
Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the
Microsoft International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by
visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552 "

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten