MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672)

Staslat

Oct 11, 2006, 11:19:04 PM10/11/06
I had 15 critical updates for Oct 11, 2006 all installed successfully with
the exception of MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672). What is the
solution? Tried this and that to get it done, cleaned and everything...still
no success.

blair

Oct 12, 2006, 12:32:05 AM10/12/06
I am having the same problem and the error code which I am receiving is 0xBC2.

Thanks

Peter Lawton

Oct 12, 2006, 3:23:21 AM10/12/06
I'm having problems installing two XML patches and the .NET 2.0 patch on
various servers

I wish MS would properly test these damn patches before they release them :(

Peter Lawton

"blair" <bl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jimmy

Oct 12, 2006, 9:33:03 AM10/12/06
Same here on multiple machines, anyone have a fix yet?

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Oct 13, 2006, 11:29:02 PM10/13/06
Did you happen to catch the error number returned. If you see the 0xBC2
error it means the installer was successful, but a reboot was
required. An update went into the Microsoft Update detection logic for MSXML4
and MSXML6 today to properly display a message indicating the installation
was successful but a reboot is required.

Thanks,
Peter Saddow
Microsoft

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

tobias_nld

Oct 14, 2006, 7:59:01 AM10/14/06
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672)
Could not initialized.

Greeting.

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Oct 14, 2006, 3:07:02 PM10/14/06
Seems you are having a problem with the Windows Update service. As a
workaround, you can obtain the update from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=961F3C95-EC4E-4561-AB27-B3180E9139C5&displaylang=en

Thanks,
Peter Saddow
Microsoft

Daddy Rabbit

Oct 14, 2006, 11:28:01 PM10/14/06
This does not work. That download terminates installation with the error
message
"Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MMACHINE\Software\Classes\Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0\CLSID. Verify
that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
personnel."

Well, I am logged into Windows XP Pro, SP2 as administrator, and the key
says "default;" and Widows Update says 925672 is still not installed, even
after 4 reboots. Any other suggestions that might work?

-DR

Daddy Rabbit

Oct 14, 2006, 11:33:02 PM10/14/06
This does not work. The downloaded file results in the error message:
"Could not open key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0\CLSID. Verify
that you have sufficientaccess to that key, or contact your support personnel.

-DR

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Oct 16, 2006, 11:27:36 AM10/16/06
Daddy Rabbit wrote:

> This does not work. The downloaded file results in the error message:
> "Could not open key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0\CLSID. Verify
> that you have sufficientaccess to that key, or contact your support personnel.

You could reset the registry security settings on all registry keys and
see if it helps (see instructions further below).

After the security settings reset, I suggest you re-register msxml4.dll
(this will create the registry key listed above if it is missing):

From the Start/Run menu, run the following command:

regsvr32.exe %windir%\system32\msxml4.dll

You should now get this message:
DllRegisterServer in C:\Windows\system32\msxml4.dll succeeded.

How to reset the registry security settings on all registry keys:

If you have WinXP Pro:

Use the command line tool secedit.exe to reset the registry security
settings back to the defaults.

From the Start/Run menu, run the command line exactly as listed below
(note that command line will wrap over two lines in this post, you
need to unwrap it back to one line):

%comspec% /k secedit.exe /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf
/db secsetup.sdb /verbose /areas REGKEYS

More about secedit.exe here:

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222

If you have WinXP Home:

Use subinacl.exe (a tool from Microsoft) to reset the registry
permissions:

Follow the procedure in "Step 1: Reset permissions" in this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/f7d73177367bab34?hl=en

I would have considered edit the reset.cmd file and removed the two
lines starting with "subinacl /subdirectories".

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Software Distribution, Porsgrunn Norway

Daddy Rabbit

Oct 16, 2006, 7:31:01 PM10/16/06
I followed the instructions below to reset the security settings -- no
effect. WUD still thinks that 925672 is not installed and the downloaded
update still terminnates with the same error message as before:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0\CLSID. Verify that
you have sufficientaccess to that key, or contact your support personnel.

-DR

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Oct 17, 2006, 5:04:16 AM10/17/06
Hi

Did you register msxml4.dll as I outlined in my previous post?

If you start regedit.exe, are you able to locate the registry
key in question?

johnc.weum

Oct 17, 2006, 11:17:09 AM10/17/06
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (925672) will not install on my Toshiba Laptop M35X-S149.

I have tried numerous times and still the same message. I've tried turning off all the Symantec protection that could prevent it but that didn't help either.

This machine also would take the update to Internet Explorer 7.0, I wonder if some of this could be related?

John C. Weum
Anchorage, Alaska

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Peter Saddow [Microsoft]

Oct 17, 2006, 11:52:01 AM10/17/06
Are you seeing an error? Try downloading and installing from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=961f3c95-ec4e-4561-ab27-b3180e9139c5&displaylang=en

Thanks,
Peter Saddow

Oct 17, 2006, 11:58:01 AM10/17/06
I have exact same problem. Have been trying all of the same "silly fixes"
people have suggested. Doesn't anyone really know what is wrong here?

Daddy Rabbit

Oct 17, 2006, 5:01:01 PM10/17/06
Yes, I did and yes, I can locate the registry key in question: it says
"default."

tobias_nld

Oct 20, 2006, 2:43:01 AM10/20/06
I have downloaded the update.
Still can't install.
It look likes it has to do with Active X.
I have disabled windows scripting host.
Any suggestion.

tobias_nld

Oct 20, 2006, 7:06:02 AM10/20/06