Win2kSP3 - An error in updating your system has occurred.

David Chaskelmann

Sep 13, 2002, 2:43:57 PM9/13/02
Attempting to install SP3 for Win2k, generates this error
"An error in updating your system has occurred."

I've tried several different ways; from a full downloaded version of SP3, an
un-zipped version, and the Windows Update site, the result is always the
error. I've tried the Run menu, and the Executable, same result. I have
full administrator rights to the wks, doesn't make any difference.

Article Q324631 does not apply to this error, DCom is not the answer.
Default impersonation level was never anonymous but, always identity, and
msisip.dll isn't even present. Do DCom default security permissions apply
to hard disk writes at all, or only when updating HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT? IE
tweaks are not the answer because, the error occurs with the full downloaded
version as well.

Running InstMsiW.exe does not apply, the hard disk has been formatted with a
FAT32 partition, not NTFS.

Article Q319585 does not apply to this error either. This is a Win2k
Professional installation not XP, and the correct versions of iuctl.dll and
iuengine.dll are already in the system.

The Service Pack log states the following:
Service Pack started with following command line:
***
CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$
***
Num Ticks for invent : 65083
***
Num Ticks for download : 17576
***
Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 5498
***
Starting process: msiinst.exe /delayrebootq
***
Working directory: C:\WINNT\System32\msiinst.tmp
***
Return Code = 18
***
Service Pack 3 Setup encountered an error: An error in updating your system
has occurred.
***
DeRegistering the Uninstall Program -> Windows 2000 Service Pack, 2
***
An error in updating your system has occurred.
***

DOESN'T HELP.

The Windows Update Log used to have this text:
"...Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished (Error
0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
Aside from iuhist.xml not helping, the error isn't reported anymore. Yet, I
still can't install SP3.

I have spent a full 8 hour day now, trying to find an answer to this
problem. I have searched and read as much as I can to no avail.
It's a shame and in my opinion very unprofessional of Microsoft to release a
Service Pack for Windows 2000 in production environments, that is this
buggy.

David

Aaron Messenger

Sep 25, 2002, 1:34:20 PM9/25/02
David, I am having the same issues, have you had any luck addressing this problem?

fred

Oct 3, 2002, 1:39:42 PM10/3/02
messe...@nabisco.com (Aaron Messenger) wrote in message news:<575b7b26.02092...@posting.google.com>...

> David, I am having the same issues, have you had any luck addressing this problem?

I have the same issue with one of my machines. Is there a fix?

Dario Perez

Oct 11, 2002, 7:39:53 PM10/11/02

"fred" <fred.sc...@gmacinsurance.com> wrote in message

me too, and the KB Article Q324631 doesnt solve the problem.