Microsoft Update Question NOT Windows Update

crad

Jul 16, 2007, 3:22:03 PM7/16/07
Is anyone out there who is using Vista Ultimate AND Microsoft Update,NOT
Windows Update encountering any problems like the ones folks are having with
XP? I mean such as the situation where Microsoft Update just keeps looking
and looking for updates but never returns any results in XP. I had those
problems with XP and had to uninstall Microsoft Update and go back to Windows
Update. In Vista, if I do not use Microsoft Update I am unable to get Office
2007 updates. Thanks for any info.

Wolfwanderer

Jul 16, 2007, 3:52:04 PM7/16/07
Did you send a support req to MS regarding the XP problem?

I've experienced similar issues with XP; Try the info below (it's a
copy/paste of the solution I utilized for a problem that sounds just like
yours; if not a match, maybe try to explain in greater detail?). I haven't
experienced the problem with Vista, but I do constantly get a rather amusing
message...some updates don't install because they are 'not needed'.

The support at Microsoft finally got back to me about the problem I’m having
with 100% cpu utilization and consequent computer freeze/slowdown caused by
svchost. Thought I’d pass the info along in case you run into the same
problems (which I did also find an answer to online---but only after I had
already gotten it from MS)…going by what the tech support person said, as
well as some friends noticing theirs doing the same thing, this seems to be a
pretty common problem. Info follows:

“This error is most likely caused by a conflict between an old Windows
Update Agent and Microsoft Update Installation Engine. Recently, we released
a new WUC client (Windows Update Agent 3.0), which addresses system
performance optimization issues. Based on the current status, I suggest we
try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1: Manually download and install the new Windows Update Agent 3.0

1. Visit the following link and download Windows Update Agent 3.0 to the
Desktop:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2. Refer to the Desktop and double-click the downloaded file to install it.

After installing Windows Update Agent 3.0, please check the issue again. If
the issue persists, we can try the next step.

Step 2: Download and install a hot fix for this issue.

================================

1. Visit the following link and download the hot fix to the Desktop:

Update for Windows XP (KB927891)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7A81B0CD-A0B9-497E-8A89-404327772E5A&displaylang=en

2. Refer to the Desktop and double-click the downloaded file to install it.

For more information related to this issue, please refer to the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

FIX: When you run Windows Update to scan for updates that use Windows
Installer, including Office updates, CPU utilization may reach 100 percent
for prolonged periods
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en-us

You receive an access violation when you try to install an update from
Windows Update after you apply hotfix package 916089
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) Team Blog
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2007/04/28/update-on.aspx

Though even after those, these Comps don’t zing along like they used to. I
formatted mine and another Friday and Saturday (which kind of hinted to it
being a Microsoft problem, because you could tell a real difference in
performance between the second round of updates and the third) before I
received a response from tech support…not running any faster than the others.
Never did find any viruses, though it behaved like one:

1) slows down computer/freezes it up…sometimes couldn’t even get taskmgr
up
2) disables updates/ failed installations; update checker just runs and
runs...

MowGreen [MVP]

Jul 16, 2007, 4:43:21 PM7/16/07
Haven't tried this on a Vista system yet so, YMMV. Go here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx

In the left frame under Downloads, click the ' Office Update ' link.
Go through the Genuine check and install any required ActiveX objects
when prompted to .
Does that work for Office 2007 in Vista ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten