0x8007043B and Automatic Updates Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Christopher Pankhurst

Mar 11, 2006, 7:00:24 AM3/11/06
I cannot use windows update. I have narrowed it down to the fact that
Automatic Updates service does not want to start. It gives the error: "Error
1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does
not implement the service.". I have done a bit of googling, and found a few
suggestions, none of which have worked for my XP SP2 computer.

first I reinstalled SP2
then

C:\Documents and Settings\chris>Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgr.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\chris>regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qmgrprxy.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\chris>regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

I have also done a cursory comparison the registry against a different XP
SP2 computer which has no problem and could not find a different so far as
"Automatic Updates" was concerned.

I have also checked that key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\Current Version\SvcHost, value netsvcs includes BITS and wuauserv - it
does.

Could somebody please help me out here?

Thanks,
Chris Pankhurst

Maurice N ~ MVP

Mar 11, 2006, 1:25:39 PM3/11/06
Have you run Services.msc and looked closely at the services?

Start button > select RUN> type in SERVICES.MSC

The following services are needed by the processes at Windows Update. In services management console ( services.msc) they must NOT be *Disabled* in the Startup type.
They need to show a startup type of Manual or Automatic.
Here are the services & their Startup types:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS) Manual
Cryptographic Services Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Automatic
System Restore Service Automatic

Now then, look at the entry for Automatic Updates. Does it shows Started in the Status column? If not, click on "Start" the service link.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Christopher Pankhurst

Mar 12, 2006, 5:25:38 AM3/12/06
Thanks for the attempt but that was not the problem. The other services you
mentioned were already started. In my attempts earlier I tried to start
Automatic updates directly. If it had been disabled then I would have
noticed it at that time.

Chris Pankhurst

"Maurice N ~ MVP" <mau...@mvps.org> wrote in message

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Mar 12, 2006, 7:07:08 AM3/12/06
When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the 0x8007043B error
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=19&ln=en&IsMu=False

or

"Checking for updates, depending on your speed this process may take several minutes"
Try registering the following:

Click Start, select Run and type (pressing enter after each one and wait for the success message):

net.exe stop wuauserv
Press Ok

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

What causes Error 0x8007043b
http://www.updatexp.com/0x8007043b.html

--
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"Christopher Pankhurst" <christophe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Joni4TA

Apr 6, 2008, 11:43:01 PM4/6/08
I have done all that CHristopher has done, except in my registry - value
netsvcs does NOT include BITS and wuauserv - they are NOT in there, and I
cannot add them because there is no "value data" option to add.

Where or how do I add them?