The system cannot open COMx port

George Farhat

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
"The system cannot open COM1 port requested by the application"

"The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application"

I get these messages when I try to open a DOS based terminal emulator.

Any Ideas,

Eric

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Hi George,

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 10:01:56 +0200, "George Farhat" <g...@kettaneh.com>
wrote:

>"The system cannot open COM1 port requested by the application"

>I get these messages when I try to open a DOS based terminal emulator.

Windows NT prevents direct hardware access. For COM: ports, direct
access by MS-DOS based applications is emulated. Your application
probably doesn't work according to Microsoft specifications.
Running MS_DOS apps isn't a good idea at all on NT, but you can try to
fine-tune your app by accessing properties on the .COM or .EXE file.

Greetings

Nicolas Koulouris

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
George Farhat wrote:

> "The system cannot open COM1 port requested by the application"
>
> "The system cannot open COM2 port requested by the application"

> I get these messages when I try to open a DOS based terminal emulator.
>
> Any Ideas,

It may be an application configuration problem, but you need to be more
specific in your explanation.

Also, I think you may not be able to run that program under NT because
it seems like it directly accesses the com ports registers. NT does not
allow that in the fashion the application is build. (I have seen this
error message before in these circumstances)

Regards,
--
> Nicolas Koulouris, Quebec
* Computer science student *