net use X: \\machine\share not working

Keith Lomax

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Could anybody help me with the following problem on a laptop (running NT4,
SP3).

The following command fails:

net use X: \\laptop\share

with an error number 1214 (format of specified network name is invalid).

If I repeat the above, but using the laptop's IP address, the command works:

net use X: \\10.10.10.10\share

I can successfully perform net view and net share commands using the
laptop's name. It is only when I try to map a drive that I encounter a
problem. I have the same problem when I try to map the drive using the
Explorer GUI.

The laptop is a DHCP client in my domain, which is also running WINS/DNS. I
only use the TCP/IP protocol, and everything is on the same IP subnet
(10.0.0.0).

Any ideas?

Please reply directly.

--
Keith Lomax

Scott Schnoll

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

What happens when you ping the laptop by name?
--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll, MCSE MCT
scott_...@msn.com
Northwest Networks - http://www.nwnetworks.com
Tech Support Central - http://www.nwnetworks.com/tsc
Internet Explorer Security FAQ - http://www.nwnetworks.com/iesf.html

Keith Lomax <KLo...@Paranor.ch> wrote in message
#ndSrf$o9GA...@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net...

Keith Lomax

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

I can ping the machine name and I can net view the machine name.
I can net use a share by specifying the ip address.
I can NOT net use a share when specifying the machine name.

Strange problem.

Keith

Scott Schnoll wrote in message
<#M0Pi2Dp...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...

Scott Schnoll

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

Is it possible that someone has created a workgroup using the same name as
the machine?
--

u7mkExa...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net...