Event ID 3172 Error Code 123

Glenn G. Mendoza

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
Need help.....

I've setup Windows NT Server 4.0 (SP-4) to forcibly disconnect users when
thier hours have expired (this works fine). Then I've sent up the
"Administrative Alerts" to automatically notify users that their hours will
expire at such time. All clients (windows 95/98) receives alert messages
sent from the server. Now the problem is when I view the Event Log through
the Event Viewer, I get an error under the Alerter category (Event ID 3172)
stating "There was an error in sending the alert message.......The error
code is 123". Any idea what I'm doing wrong or I'm I missing something.
And what is Error code 123?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Prior to all this I've made sure the Alerter and the Messenger Service have
started on the server and winpopup on the client workstation.

Andy Ball

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
could it be that the user already logged off ? A 3172 is :

There was an error sending *** the alert message -

(

*** )

The error code is ***.

EXPLANATION

An error occurred when an alert message was sent. The user name designated
receive the alert may no longer exist.

ACTION

Use Server Manager to repair the error.

--
Andy Ball
Greenfell Computing Ltd - http://www.greenfel.demon.co.uk

Glenn G. Mendoza <glenn...@saipan.com> wrote in message

Glenn G. Mendoza

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Thanks for your reply. However, the users are still logon to the system.
Before their time expires the users receive three alert messages:

1. Notifying the users when their time will expire
2. Warning user if their not logout they may lose data
3. Their time has ended

With all three messages, the event viewer will show all three errors.

Andy Ball wrote in message ...

>could it be that the user already logged off ? A 3172 is :
>There was an error sending *** the alert message -
>(
>
>*** )
>The error code is ***.
>EXPLANATION
>An error occurred when an alert message was sent. The user name designated
>receive the alert may no longer exist.
>ACTION
>Use Server Manager to repair the error.

Wesley Little

Dec 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/7/98
If these are Windows 95 stations then they must be running Winpopup to get
these types of messages. They probably are not. For Windows NT stations
they must have the Messenger service started up in order to receive network
messages. If either of these requirements are not met then the message will
fail to be sent to the station.

Hope this helps.

Wes

Glenn G. Mendoza

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
Thanks for your reply Wesley!

Yes, all workstations (95/98) have winpopup running. All workstations
receive alert messages just fine from the server. The question is why is NT
logging an error stating that there was an error in sending the message?
Services (Alerter, and Messenger) on NT are also running. I can either
ignore this error log and move on, but I won't. Because the event log will
be filled with alerter error messages. Any other suggestion?