Error code 0x80020009, wmp.dll will not register

jamzzsGA

Nov 6, 2007, 7:02:15 PM11/6/07
My media player will not show video or visualizations and I believe it has
something to do with this unregistered dll. How can fix this problem?

jamzzsGA

Nov 6, 2007, 7:32:02 PM11/6/07
The following also will not register with the same code:
wmpasf.dll
wmpdxm.dll

jamzzsGA

Nov 6, 2007, 7:35:00 PM11/6/07
Just so you know, it is on a XP SP2 computer.

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Nov 7, 2007, 3:49:02 PM11/7/07

I know SatelliteTV can unregister wmp.dll according to
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=720959

I don't think that would be related to your problems though, it tends
to cause crashes instead. What version of media player do you have,
since you can load it but not play videos ?

Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2007
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs

jamzzsGA

Nov 7, 2007, 8:15:01 PM11/7/07
I have WMP 11.

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Nov 8, 2007, 1:38:12 PM11/8/07
OK - so what's the source of these videos - DVD disk, or online, or
something from a download site like Limewire / Bittorrent, or...

If you've got access to a friends PC, do the videos play there ?

If this is online video on a web page, what specific page address ?

Cheers - Neil

jamzzsGA

Nov 8, 2007, 2:15:00 PM11/8/07
I have tried some samples that are on my computer and none of them will work.
Content that can play within a website, the small wmp will work, but no
content that loads to full player will show video. Also, I tried to play The
Incredibles through the DVD player on WMP and got the same result.

zachd [MSFT]

Nov 19, 2007, 7:02:49 PM11/19/07

They actually ship their "own" copy of WMP.dll v10 and register it in a
different path. It's not unregistered - they've just done a horrific
end-run that of course breaks the v11 experience quite "nicely". =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <ne...@nospam.com> wrote in message

dkramer

Jul 1, 2009, 11:29:37 PM7/1/09

In what path -should- wmp.dll be? I have successfully re-installed
WMP11, but it will not start (at all...though icons for wav's etc. have
changed t WMP11 icons). regsvr32 wmp.dll gives the error listed in the
title of the subject. What is the fix? Thanks again in advance for all
help...

Daniel

--
dkramer
dkramer's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110325.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Jul 2, 2009, 5:51:06 AM7/2/09
On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 08:59:37 +0530, dkramer
<dkramer...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>In what path -should- wmp.dll be? I have successfully re-installed
>WMP11, but it will not start (at all...though icons for wav's etc. have
>changed t WMP11 icons). regsvr32 wmp.dll gives the error listed in the
>title of the subject. What is the fix? Thanks again in advance for all

What operating system are you using ?

The error code above is usually an "ODBC" (database) error code so
it's worth initially checking your MDAC installation is up to date (on
XP) MDAC 2.8 SP1 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/aa937730.aspx

If that doesn't get you any change after a reboot, see if ZachD's
instructions on deleting and rebuilding the media library database
helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs

dkramer

Jul 2, 2009, 11:05:14 AM7/2/09

Hi Neil,

It is XP SP2. Just confirming that I will install MDAC you listed.
Please just let me know before I do it. I will set a system restore
point anyway. Thanks for your help...will keep you up-to-date.

dkramer

Jul 2, 2009, 8:04:56 PM7/2/09

MDAC_TYP.exe will not install since the setup is not supported on XP (I
have SP2 anyway). I will try to follow up with the library stuff.
Thanks.

dkramer

Jul 2, 2009, 8:22:29 PM7/2/09

Hi again,

None of the library suggestions did anything, unfortunately. Mind you,
I had nothing in the cache or the library. I have not yet been able to
open a WMP11 window. It opens in the Task Manager for about 15 seconds
(ramping up RAM), and then it shuts itself down. FWIW, wmpnscfg.exe is
running. While I do not know what program that is exactly, at least it
is related to wmp, right? Thanks again for further suggestions (besides
re-imaging!). Also, WMPlayer.OCX seems to be missing again.

I saw the regkeys of a successfully installed WMP11. I should not
merely copy the values of those keys and subkeys into my registry,
right?

Thanks again.

Daniel