can't start Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

HereticTrout

May 9, 2009, 5:51:01 PM5/9/09
I'm trying to enable media sharing on my computer in order to share media
with an XBox 360 on the same network.

I tried to follow the instructions at
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/pcsetup/xpsp2.htm and at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/mp11/Xbox360toWMP11XP_StepbyStep.aspx,
but I get the same problem. I am running Windows XP Professional SP3, so I
followed those directions. When I go to this site, I am prompted to download
and install Windows Media Player 11 (I chose this instead of the Zune
software). When I go into WMP 11 and try to turn on Media Sharing, I check
the box that says "Share my media" and click "OK". There is a long wait
after pressing OK, and then I get the dialog that asks me to select the
devices I wish to share to, but there are no devices listed.

I have tried checking some other settings, and the problem seems to be with
Windows Media Player Sharing. I tried running "services.msc", and checking
the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service". The dialog says that it
is not running, and when I try to start the service, I get the error message:

Could not start the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service service on
Local Computer.
Error 1008: An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist.

The SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug and Play Device Host services
seem to be configured correctly and running, so it seems the problem is just
with the media sharing service.

I think this means that WMP Network Sharing is not correctly installed. I
tried re-installing WMP11, but this did not fix it.

HereticTrout

May 10, 2009, 4:21:22 PM5/10/09
Sorry. While writing out my problem, I realized that I had not uninstalled
WMP11 before re-installing it. This fixed the problem, and WMP Network
Sharing is running now.

bgta

Sep 26, 2009, 7:02:12 AM9/26/09

1. Start menu
2. Control Panel
3. Administrative Tools
4. Services
5. Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service - Start this service
6. End if starts
7. if Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service not starting -
Universal Plug and Play Device Host - Start
8. if Universal Plug and Play Device Host not starting - SSDP Discovery
Service -Start

--
bgta
bgta's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/138705.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TrueTiger

Dec 17, 2009, 11:06:34 PM12/17/09

bgta. Thank you for the streamlined info that took it further up to SSDP
Service. While trying to resolve inaction after clicking the box to
Share my media in WMP11, I started the SSDP discovery service, the UPNP
device host, and lastly WMP network sharing service.

This now caused a dialog box in WMP11 to pop up that asked which
devices to share to but none were listed to pick from. So I tweaked the
above services' Log On tab to log on as: Local system account. I think
under This account: it was NT Authority\LocalService before the change.
A big Oops?? Now SSDP will not start nor will the other two dependent
services. Error1079: The account specified for this service is
different from the account specified for their services running in the
same process.

XP computer using McAfee trying to share media on a WD TV Live media
player on the network. Had never shared media before. How do I fix this
issue I ran into while trying to fix the "Share my media" to work?
Please help! Thank you!

--
TrueTiger
TrueTiger's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/164956.htm

TrueTiger

Dec 18, 2009, 12:27:32 AM12/18/09

Figured out my problem. Under the Log On tab for both SSDP Discovery
Service and UPnP Device Host, I just had to undo the changes in my
Account, I needed to browse to LOCAL SERVICES, *NOT* NETWORK SERVICES!
So that it would correctly read as NT AUTHORITY\LocalService, not
\NetworkService. This let me restart both services.

For the WMP11 network sharing services to start, I had to Log On as:
Local System account. My WD TV Live media player now appears as the
device to share my files with in WMP11.