Windows Media Player 11 error C00D11B1 Original code 80070057

cev

Sep 21, 2007, 9:36:00 PM9/21/07

I have windows XP sp 2, WMP 11 version 11.0.5721.5230, and a Realtek AC'97
Audio card. The current driver is now version 5.10.0.6250 but the problems
started before I upgraded.

We bought quite a few WMA music files from the Walmart Music Downloads site
and they seemed to work fine. Then our PC crashed and I had to reinstall XP
again. We went to the site and the songs were no longer downloadable. When
I try to download them again, first I get the message: "There is a problem
with Windows Media DRM in your computer, please email us or call
1-800-222-8132, from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. Central Time, seven days a week. "

I email them and WalMart nicely set the songs so we could download them from
a special URL. Now I have the file, but when I try to play it I get an error
message which leads to a web page that says: "You've encountered error
message C00D11B1 while using Windows Media Player. The following information
might help you troubleshoot the issue."

Under Technical Details, Original error message code is 80070057 with the
following text: "One or more arguments are invalid".

I know these code have been discussed a lot, but I can't seem to find a
problem/solution that fits.

If the DRM was broken by the re-install how do I fix it?

Fabio

Sep 26, 2007, 7:38:03 AM9/26/07
I'm exactly in the same situation described by cev:

1) succesfully purchased DRM-protected WMA songs from an on-line music shop
2) played those songs succesfully on my WMP 11 (on Windows XP SP2)
3) not used the player for a month or so
4) in the meanwhile, I purchased and installed the Cyberlink Power DVD 7
(not sure if it has to do with this issue)
5) Upgraded to WinAmp 5.35 (not sure if it has to do with this issue)
6) Now, trying to play again my WMA files, I get Error C00D11B1 (original
code 80070057)

I looked around the net, and here on , and it seems that this error is
rather frequent, and there could be several possible reasons for it.
Suggested solutions (like setting that flag, changing this registry) didn't
always work. At least they didn't in my case.

Can any Expert MVP here give us a hint on how to get additional info about
the error, in order to try to debug it a little deeper than with the simple
error number?

thank you
Fabio

Fabio

Oct 4, 2007, 9:47:00 AM10/4/07

anybody from Microsoft listening to this thread? We need help, and we're many!

thanks
Fabio

Fabio

Oct 6, 2007, 12:22:02 PM10/6/07
I found that someone solved this problem by applying a procedure suggested by
Microsoft to reset the DRM database to an "virgin" state (see for example
Microsoft KB article 925705. I found that several articles report the same
procedure, meaing that the issue was repeatedly reported to Microsoft
Support).

Apart from suggesting how to backup your DRM folder (see on the KB how to do
that), the main point there is to go to the link:

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp

or another one:

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlupdate.html

Both require to install an ActiveX component and then click an 'Upgrade'
button to complete the job.

In some cases these pages don't work (my case).

Reading the java code behind that button, I found that the aim is just to
open another Microsoft URL from your WMP, which will do the actual "upgrade",
or "individualization" of the DRM database (no idea what that exactly mean,
but forget the terminology...).

The URL is version-dependent, so you first need to recover your WMP complete
version string.

Go to Help-About and take a note of the first three numbers in the version
string, e.g for "11.0.5721.5145":

Nr. 1 is 11 (main WMP version)
Nr. 2 is 0
Nr. 3 is 5721

Ok, then you need to decide which URL to open with WMP.

First case:

If Nr. 1 is 9 and Nr.3 is greater than 3286, or Nr. 1 is 10 and Nr.3 is
greater than 3801,
the URL is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49287

Second case:

If Nr. 1 is greater than 10 and Nr. 2 is 0,
the URL is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49288

Third case:

If Nr. 1 is greater than 10 and Nr. 2 is greater than 0 (should be WinVista),
the URL is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=73923

If you didn't meet any of the cases above (WMP versions older than 9),
the URL is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49286

Once you know which URL fits your case, go to WMP File-Open URL and insert
it there.

Let me know if it worked for you... as in my case the URLs gave me error
C00D11B1!

Fabio

Oct 6, 2007, 12:44:05 PM10/6/07

EUREKA!!!

I found the solution. As suggested on the official Microsoft WMP FAQ, simply
drop the content of the DRM folder. Then, restart the computer and the next
time you will try to play one of your DRM-protected files you will be
notified to upgrade the security module. OK, you must be on the internet to
di that. Then, each time you play again for the first time your files you
will be redirected to the licence provider (at least that's what happened
with me).

Hope this will help you all C00D11B1-frustrated.

bye
Fabio

zachd [MSFT]

Oct 11, 2007, 3:54:22 AM10/11/07

I thought the exact quote was "We Are Legion"? =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Fabio" <Fa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Max

Dec 19, 2007, 6:38:02 PM12/19/07

Really great!
I searched so much for a solution and this was it!
Many many thanks!
Max