WMP will not play WAV files.

GK

Nov 26, 2009, 2:25:01 PM11/26/09

I can not play any audio files with WAV extension, and receive the following
error...
"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
additional assistance, click WEB HELP."
Audios with MP3 extension play fine, and so do all video types.

I have two other computers with the same configuration which play WAV files
OK.

My configuration is WIN-XP Pro, SP-3
WMP version 11.0.5721.5263

Thanks in advance.

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Dec 1, 2009, 5:02:01 PM12/1/09
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:25:01 -0800, GK <G...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

See if running through some of ZachD's instructions on fixing up sound
playback issues helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio

Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs

GK

Dec 2, 2009, 7:51:01 PM12/2/09

> .
> Neil,
Thanks for your input.
I looked at "http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio" site, and tried their
suggestions, but the information does not seem to apply to my problem.

I can play WAV files OK with other media players (Winamp, RealPlayer), but
not with WMP.

Regards,
GK.

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Dec 10, 2009, 6:29:23 PM12/10/09
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:51:01 -0800, GK <G...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:25:01 -0800, GK <G...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I can not play any audio files with WAV extension, and receive the following
>> >error...
>> >"Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For
>> >additional assistance, click WEB HELP."
>> >Audios with MP3 extension play fine, and so do all video types.
>> >
>> >I have two other computers with the same configuration which play WAV files
>> >OK.
>> >
>> >My configuration is WIN-XP Pro, SP-3
>> >WMP version 11.0.5721.5263
>>
>> See if running through some of ZachD's instructions on fixing up sound
>> playback issues helps : http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio
>>

>> .
>> Neil,
> Thanks for your input.
>I looked at "http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio" site, and tried their
>suggestions, but the information does not seem to apply to my problem.
>
>I can play WAV files OK with other media players (Winamp, RealPlayer), but
>not with WMP.

Sorry to be so late, been ill with flu then trying to catch up.

So regardless of whether you believe it's not applicable to your
problem, what was the effect of actually trying the steps (updating
audio drivers etc) on media player ?

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio

"Q: I'm having sound problems (muffledness, echoes, errors, speed
issues, etc).
Q: I'm getting error 0x80040256 trying to play back content... "

"A: Check for sound card driver updates, both from your vendor and
from Windows Update"

WMP uses the strict "windows way" of delivering media in windows,
which doesn't correspond to the way many other players use the
hardware. So we're back to the question : What happens if you actually
try the proposed solution ?

Out of interest : When you clicked Web Help as proposed by the player,
you would have ended up at a web page at Microsoft. What was the exact
web address, copied and pasted from the web browser's address bar ?

GK

Dec 12, 2009, 5:16:01 PM12/12/09

> .

Thanks again Neil.
The sound module is imbedded on the motherboard, and there are no newer
updates available.
"NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface" - Driver Date: 07/26/2005 -
Driver Version 6.14.465.0

I tried all the suggestions in http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio, and I am
not a novice, but the issue still persists.

When I click "Web Help" as proposed by the player, goes to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5268&id=C00D11B1&contextid=83&originalid=8007007E

I have also tried all the suggestions on that site.

Just discovered that WMP also will not play MIDI audio files.

Thanks,
GK

zachd [MSFT]

Jan 4, 2010, 10:23:50 PM1/4/10

8007007e is ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND , usually indicating that either the file is
corrupt or that the system is missing a DLL.

You might want/need to use System Restore here if reinstalling the relevant
software doesn't help. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.
"GK" <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

GK

Jan 8, 2010, 12:36:01 PM1/8/10
Thanks zachd for your input.
Already tried all the basics, and I am not a novice.
WAV and MIDI files are good, they play fine on my other XP-Pro machines with
WMP-11, but not on this one.

I even (temporarily) restored a complete C-drive image from one year ago
which had WMP-10 installed, and still the same issue.

If the system is missing a DLL, and if I knew which DLL, then I could copy
that DLL from my other systems running the same version of XP-Pro and WMP-11.
But I don't think that is the case. MP3 audio and all types of video formats
will play fine with WMP.

Seems to be a compatibility issue between WMP and my sound module.

Thanks,
GK.

===============

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> .

zachd [MSFT]

Jan 20, 2010, 9:44:12 PM1/20/10

You could use windbg then to potentially track down where that error is
coming from.

MOD_NOT_FOUND might indicate that the sound module/driver is not properly
installed and/or nonfunctional.

Does dxdiag report any issues... ?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"GK" <G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

GK

Jan 23, 2010, 3:06:02 PM1/23/10
Thanks again zachd.
1) I downloaded and installed "WinDbg", but how do I use to trace the
problem with WMP?
2) Sound module is installed properly, and driver is must current. Can play
"wav" and "mid" extensions with other media players (except with WMP).
3) Dxdiag is not reporting any problems.