Adding lyrics in WMP12

Swifty

Apr 13, 2010, 12:06:40 AM4/13/10
How do you add lyrics in WMP12 without the Advanced Tag editor?

I'm still on WMP11, but I'm heading towards Window 7 so, WMP12 looms
on my horizon. I've only just started adding Lyrics, so know almost
nothing on this topic.

Is it possible to search on the lyrics? I frequently wake up with a
snippet of a song running through my brain; if I had all the lyrics
and could search them, I could find the track.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]

Apr 22, 2010, 5:25:52 PM4/22/10
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 05:06:40 +0100, Swifty <steve....@gmail.com>
wrote:

>How do you add lyrics in WMP12 without the Advanced Tag editor?
>
>I'm still on WMP11, but I'm heading towards Window 7 so, WMP12 looms
>on my horizon. I've only just started adding Lyrics, so know almost
>nothing on this topic.
>
>Is it possible to search on the lyrics? I frequently wake up with a
>snippet of a song running through my brain; if I had all the lyrics
>and could search them, I could find the track.

I think you're stuck (unless Tim de Baets knows more) - A|TE was
pulled, although it's a feature I never used.

If you happen to hear a track on the *radio* instead, you can use
Shazam - phone 2580 in the UK and let it 'listen' to the track for
20-30 seconds - it'll text back a pretty good identification of it.

Most online searches will turn up track names if you can well-remember
the Lyrics...

Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2010
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs

Swifty

Apr 25, 2010, 4:14:01 AM4/25/10
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:25:52 +0100, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<ne...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Most online searches will turn up track names if you can well-remember
>the Lyrics...

Indeed - one of the great benefits of the Internet, I'm never left
wondering any more.

Having the lyrics inside WMP, and having them searchable would have
the benefit that I'd know what the song is, and also be able to play
it (assuming that I found a match).

The songs that pop into my brain in the middle of the night are nearly
always something that I've heard in the previous 24 hours, but not
always something from my own library.

Tim De Baets

Apr 25, 2010, 1:07:35 PM4/25/10
On 13/04/2010 6:06, Swifty wrote:
> How do you add lyrics in WMP12 without the Advanced Tag editor?

My new plug-in, Windows Media Player Plus!, adds a new tag editor to
WMP. You can download it at
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=80263

After installing Windows Media Player Plus!, right-click a song that you
want to add lyrics to, select Tag Editor Plus, and go to Advanced.
Right-click a tag, select Add, and pick WM/Lyrics.

> Is it possible to search on the lyrics? I frequently wake up with a
> snippet of a song running through my brain; if I had all the lyrics
> and could search them, I could find the track.

You could try the "lyrics:" prefix in the Search field (e.g.
"lyrics:lalala"), but this didn't seem to work on my system. Another
option is to export all of your library's metadata to an XML file with
Metadata Backup, and search that XML file. Metadata Backup can be
downloaded at http://sourceforge.net/projects/metadatabackup

Regards

--
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk

Swifty

Apr 26, 2010, 3:48:06 PM4/26/10
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:07:35 +0200, Tim De Baets <tdeb...@nospam.com>
wrote:

>My new plug-in, Windows Media Player Plus!

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll investigate them, but it may be a
while. I'm only just getting interested in storing lyrics, so this is
not top of my list.

I can probably get at the Lyrics metadata using the OLE access method
that I've used in the past. Until recently, I didn't have *any*
lyrics, so I hadn't seen the associated tags. Maybe I will now. If so,
I can write my own lyrics search program. It will be slow (across
15,000+ tracks) so I'll offload the lyrics into a file with a nightly
scheduled task, then scan that file with a bespoke program.