timecode display

Jeremy Falcon

Nov 29, 2001, 10:29:28 AM11/29/01
I'm working on a web page that shows high and low bandwidth versions of two
video clips. I used the Windows Media Encoder 7.1 to make four WMV files
because the web server for the page is running on Unix. Naturally, I played
the files in Windows Media Player (6.4) to ensure all was well, but when I
uploaded the files and embedded them into a web page, three of the four
clips continue to display a timecode throughout the entire video. Only one
of the videos displays it for a couple of seconds and then it disappears.

So, I check the web page out on two other computers at work and none of them
display the timecodes at all. But, these computers were running WMP 7.0.
So, I upgraded to 7.1 on my computer but it still shows the timecodes on
three of the videos. I'm assuming it can't be a setting in the video
because it only shows them on my computer AFAIK. Is there a setting in WMP
that I have flagged to show timecodes? Or maybe an extra attribute in the
embed and object tags I can use to get rid of them? If I go to news.com and
watch a video clip there in Windows Media I don't see any on those videos,
so I have to wonder.

Does anyone out there have an idea as to why in the world this is happening?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy L. Falcon

Jeff Woiton [MS]

Nov 29, 2001, 1:52:41 PM11/29/01
What I hear is that this is happening on some machines and not others, is that correct? If so, those
machines should not be displaying the time code, and there's no setting in WMP7 to flip this on or off.
What may be happening is that you have a debug version of DirectShow installed on those machines
which is causing this. Try upgrading to the newest DirectX version available for those platforms and
let us know if that doesn't help.

--------------------
From: "Jeremy Falcon" <ad...@kfx2.com>
Subject: timecode display
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:29:28 -0600

Thanks,

Jeremy L. Falcon

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your
use. © 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I regret that I cannot reply to you if you email me directly. It is better that you post your question back
to the newsgroup - more people will see your question and be able to offer help, and to learn from it
as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online resources for support:

TechNet --for IT Professionals and Administrators: http://technet.microsoft.com

MSDN -- a great resource for developers: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28000411.

Assisted Support

Support information for Windows Media Player and the other downloadable Windows Media
technologies (not including the Windows Media Resource Kit, which is not supported) is available
through Microsoft Product Support Services. To get your latest support options, go to Microsoft
Product Support Services.

Mailing Lists and Newsgroups

Microsoft provides a mailing list and newsgroup for you to provide feedback on this release.

For more information about mailing lists and newsgroups, visit
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/newsgroups/topic.asp?url=/msdn-
files/028/201/118/topic.xml.

Peer discussion on Microsoft-sponsored mailing lists and newsgroups
A Microsoft-sponsored public list server e-mail discussion group offers peer-based support.

blank and for the message text, type "SUBSCRIBE WMTALK your name". For example:

SUBSCRIBE WMTALK John Doe

line blank and for the message text, type "SIGNOFF WMTALK".

Several Microsoft-sponsored newsgroups offer peer-based support on Windows Media
Technologies:

– microsoft.public.windowsmedia.technologies
– microsoft.public.windowsmedia.technologies.rightsmanager

For more information about how to read newsgroups, visit
http://support.microsoft.com/support/news/howto/.

Reporting bugs by e-mail
You can report bugs by sending an e-mail to WMT...@microsoft.com. This e-mail address is for
bug reporting only. General product support is not available via this process.

Include the following information in your bug report:

– Product name and date obtained.
– System information: type of machine, processor, amount of RAM, video card, sound device, video
capture device, etc.
– Operating system.
– A concise 1-sentence description of the problem.
– A verbose description of the problem.
– Details or steps to reproduce the problem.
– Full contact information, if follow up is necessary.

Jeremy Falcon

Nov 30, 2001, 10:33:21 AM11/30/01
I upgraded to DX 8.1 and it worked. I do have my dev tools installed at
work, but I never installed the DX SDK much less the debug version. I'm
guess maybe one of the DDKs or whatever put 'em on. Who knows.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Leave the Subject line

List...@discuss.microsoft.com. Leave the Subject