ActiveSync remote networking error 608.

Zhongwei Wang

Oct 12, 2005, 11:32:17 AM10/12/05
I am getting a weird error on my Windows CE 5.0 PXA270 platform. If the
device boots without Ethernet cable plugged in, no matter I plug in the
network cable later or not, each time I plug in USB cable for ActiveSync, I
got the following error. "Cannot start communications with the desktop
computer. Remote Networking could not start due to a critical error (Error
608)." If the device boots with network cable in, no matter I unplug it
later or not, ActiveSync always works.

However, this happens with images built from two build machines, it doesn't
happen with the image built with the same label/tag for BSP/Workspace from
my development machine.

I then installed Q1 and Q2 QFEs on my development machine to match what
build machines have, but the image from my machine still works, which is
good and bad thing. I was using ActiveSync 3.7.1 and now it is 3.8.0. I
also tried to add delay before starting usb function driver.

What can I do next to get the image from build machine work?

--
Zhongwei Wang
Applied Data Systems

Dean Ramsier

Oct 12, 2005, 12:43:09 PM10/12/05
There is a timing problem between ActiveSync and the notification engine
that can result in lots of mysterious symptoms. In CE5, the notification
engine was moved to services.exe by default, if services.exe exists. Your
USB driver lives in device.exe, and may be trying to use the notification
engine before it is initialized (device runs before services).

You can force the notification engine to move to device.exe by setting the
env variable
BSP_NOTIFY_IN_DEVICE=1

This might help, it's at least worth a try...
--
Dean Ramsier - eMVP
BSQUARE Corporation

"Zhongwei Wang" <MWang@applieddata[dot]_net> wrote in message

Zhongwei Wang

Oct 12, 2005, 2:04:42 PM10/12/05
Thanks. Very good piece of information. I tried it, notify registry is now
moved from \Services to \Drivers\BuiltIn, but it doesn't fix the problem in
this case.

--
Zhongwei Wang
Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
Application - Ready embedded systems
Microsoft Windows Embedded Partner
Gold Level Member

"Dean Ramsier" <ramsie...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Raymond Rogers

Oct 12, 2005, 6:29:34 PM10/12/05
I'm getting the same error using a Cirrus EP9307 and ActiveSync connecting
through a serial port. In my case the network cable does not matter at all,
I always get the error. I also have the Q1 and Q2 QFEs installed, but I'm
using ActiveSync version 4.0.0 (Build 4343).

Raymond Rogers

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Oct 12, 2005, 6:48:02 PM10/12/05
Capture serial debug output from a debug version of the OS up to the point
of the error and see what's different from network and no-network case. If
nothing is suggested to you by reading the two logs, post the one where the
error is generated here....

Paul T.

"Zhongwei Wang" <MWang@applieddata[dot]_net> wrote in message

Raymond Rogers

Oct 12, 2005, 7:08:26 PM10/12/05
OK the error 608 was my fault, I did not have the serial driver included in
the image.

"Raymond Rogers" <rero...@symon.com> wrote in message

Zhongwei Wang

Oct 13, 2005, 11:14:34 AM10/13/05
Interesting. I did a full comparison of my public folder and build machine
public folder, the difference is I once did a "build and sysgen" on my
machine although it is not recommended. I tried it on the build machine,
"build and sysgen" fixed the problem. Huh!!! What a trick.