Windwos CE 5.0 Hide System Cursor

Victor Lai

Mar 23, 2008, 2:01:01 PM3/23/08
How can I hide the cursor in Windows CE 5.0 if the image already have mouse
enabeld?

Thanks.

sheetal....@patni.com

Mar 24, 2008, 1:53:32 AM3/24/08
On Mar 23, 11:01 pm, Victor Lai <Victor...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Hi,

Do you want to do this at the application level or you want to hide
the cursor from the display anyway?
Moreover, just hiding the cursor will still have mouse functionality
enabled. Do you want to disable that as well?

Regards,
-Sheetal.

Victor Lai

Mar 24, 2008, 2:13:00 AM3/24/08
Thanks for the reply.

We want to do it for the system level. The system has touch screen so we
don't need mouse cursor. However, mouse(cursor) support is already in the
production image.

So we would like to disable/hide mouse cursor. The shipping unit will not
have any mouse plug in. So as long as the touch work and no cursor. It will
be ok. Do you know a way to do so?

Thanks.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 24, 2008, 11:13:08 AM3/24/08
But, you have to change the OS to alter the way the cursor works, anyway.
Why not just remove the Mouse component?

Paul T.

"Victor Lai" <Vict...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Victor Lai

Mar 24, 2008, 12:25:02 PM3/24/08
Hi, Thanks for reply.

What do you mean by " you have to change the OS to alter the way the cursor
works, anyway"? All we need to hide the cursor.

Few hundreds of systems are already at customer's site. It will save a lot
of trouble not updating the image, but use application to switch on/off. We
also want to keep this option if possible for repair purposes. We don't have
other things need to be modified on the image.

Bill T

Mar 24, 2008, 12:30:03 PM3/24/08
You can simply position the cursor off screen. This could be done in
taskmanager, some other part of the OS supplied code or in your application.
It would be like ::SetCursorPos( ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN)+10,
GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN)+10 );

Another way is to use ShowCursor in your app like:
// disable cursor - false causes decrement, ShowCursor must be < 0 to be
Off
while( ShowCursor(false) >= 0 );

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Mar 24, 2008, 12:38:39 PM3/24/08
Generally, the display driver is drawing the cursor. It may only do that if
a mouse is installed, but, if the system was initially designed to have a
mouse, it's quite possible that the board support package for the hardware
doesn't account for that and the cursor is always on. There's no standard
way to tell a display driver to turn off the cursor, except on a
window-by-window basis using ShowCursor(). If you have only one application
that is always shown full screen, you can just call that. If the user uses
the Start menu, runs other applications, etc., you need help from the
display driver to turn off the cursor.

Bill T.'s solution also *might* work for you. My display drivers don't
allow the cursor to be positioned off-screen (and touching the touch screen
would normally move the cursor to the touch location, anyway), but it's
possible that yours doesn't work that way.

Paul T.

"Victor Lai" <Vict...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Victor Lai

Mar 25, 2008, 4:08:03 PM3/25/08
Bill, Thanks for your support.

SetCursorPos with at first work, but then cursor will come back when a valid
click on any application or icon.
ShowCursor() functions works under VC6 in xp pro in my pc, but it seems not
to be working when using EVC on Windows CE in ARM. I am not sure it's because
CE or the video driver (2700G) on the system.

We decide to give up on this and use a new image without mouse anyway.
Thanks for the help.