Vista - Network Cable Unplugged

in KY@discussions.microsoft.com Dave in KY

May 19, 2007, 6:40:00 PM5/19/07
I have a home network that has a DSL modem connected to a Linksys BEFW11S4v.2
(with updated firmware) 4 port switch WiFi router. I have several XP machines
hardwired to teh switch and all have conectivity. I have a cable runnin form
the switch approximately 50 ft to an upstairs bedroom. I just purchased a
Dell with Vista for this room. The machine does not recognize teh cable. I
can carry my laptop running XP to the same room and connect the ethernet
cable and it works no problem.

I've downloaded new drivers for the internal NIC card on the Dell. Still the
Local Area Connection shows "network cable unplugged".

I've disabled IPV.6, QoS Stacker, Link-Layer topoloy discovery mapper i/o
driver and link-layer topology discovery responder and still I get "network
cable unplugged".

Frustrated eyond belief at this stage. Why does this have to be soooooooo
hard? Can you help me?

Robert Moir

May 19, 2007, 6:55:18 PM5/19/07

"Dave in KY" <Dave in K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Change the duplex settings of the network card (in card's driver properties)
to 10Mb/Half Duplex and see if that works. It's probably set to auto-sensing
at the moment and sometimes this can fall down (I've seen it fall down with
linksys routers before actually). If that works, try fiddling with the
settings, the ideal setting would probably be 100Mb/Full Duplex.

Dave in KY

May 19, 2007, 7:19:00 PM5/19/07
I tried that and it didn't help. Should I reboot afterword or does that matter?

Martin Vaupell

May 20, 2007, 5:52:16 AM5/20/07
Trying to upload some files using IE which howewer proves
a though task, alternatly im using a 3rd party program for it.
But im sure thats not intended.

The problem is i open a ftp site, and logon,
It shows AS a HTML site, well i can browse the site and such
and i can download. but i cannot add my files as i could on XP.

How want it, is to open a ftp site AS a folder style.
so i can drag/drop objects between the folders ;)

If IE7+ cant handle this, can someone advise/refer me to a browser
with such abilities.

Tx in advanced ;)

/ Eqvaliser

Dave in KY

May 20, 2007, 7:47:00 AM5/20/07
Any additional thoughts out there?

Michael

May 20, 2007, 8:22:39 AM5/20/07
Dave,
Simple things first that you may have already tried.

Does the 'network adapter' show up in Device manager? (It should as you get
the disconnected message)

Do the connectivity lights come on at the router and Dell end?
Expect that there are two small lights at the dell end, one should light
when cable is connected to router the other when traffic is passing.

If the lights at the Dell and router end don't light it is possible (not
very likely with newer gear) that you have the wrong type of cable between
the Dell and the router. There are two cables wirings: normal and crossover.
Modern gear detects which cable is being used so doesn't matter. Some
el-cheapo devices don't do the auto detect.

If that is the case (again pretty unusual with newer gear) you will need to
change the cable or get a really cheap network hub (they contain an internal
crossover).

If you have a crossover cable, then it should work if you connect the Dell
and one of your laptops directly without the router. You will get a local
peer-peer two computer network with the lights on.

Michael

"Dave in KY" <Dave...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Martin Vaupell

May 20, 2007, 10:50:20 AM5/20/07

Steve Urbach

May 20, 2007, 2:26:58 PM5/20/07
On Sun, 20 May 2007 08:22:39 -0400, "Michael" <mexxwa...@verson.net> wrote:

>Dave,
>Simple things first that you may have already tried.
>
>Does the 'network adapter' show up in Device manager? (It should as you get
>the disconnected message)
>
>Do the connectivity lights come on at the router and Dell end?
>Expect that there are two small lights at the dell end, one should light
>when cable is connected to router the other when traffic is passing.
>
>If the lights at the Dell and router end don't light it is possible (not
>very likely with newer gear) that you have the wrong type of cable between
>the Dell and the router. There are two cables wirings: normal and crossover.
>Modern gear detects which cable is being used so doesn't matter. Some
>el-cheapo devices don't do the auto detect.
>
>If that is the case (again pretty unusual with newer gear) you will need to
>change the cable or get a really cheap network hub (they contain an internal
>crossover).
>
>If you have a crossover cable, then it should work if you connect the Dell
>and one of your laptops directly without the router. You will get a local
>peer-peer two computer network with the lights on.
>
>Michael

I agree with your diagnosis.

There is a 3rd type of cable out there:
Miswired.

Some hardware will work wit incorrect pairings on shorter runs (50' is a
fairly short run). Others are fussy.

OP, Look at the colors of the wires in both ends. Holding the plugs the same
way, a straight cable will be identical. while their is a color convention, as
long as the PAIRS are properly terminated, it will work

Important NOTE pr2 (usually the green pair) is split around pr1 (not really
used except for POE equipment)
pr4b
pr4a
pr2b <---
pr1a
pr1b
pr2a <---
pr3b
pr3a

Lastly, disable "allow power to be turned off on this device" feature (at
least for testing).

Angouby

May 20, 2007, 8:44:01 PM5/20/07
If it's work on your laptop, maybe the problem come from your network card on
your dell desktop. first try to reset your network interface controler.
reboot the dellcomputer and press f2 when you see the dell logo the computer
is starting to enter in the setup program.
In setup program go to onboard devices --> NETWORK INTEGRATED CONTROLLER and
disable the network integrated controller(NIC).
save and exit the setup program; shutdown he computer and unplug the power
cord from the back of your computer.
press the power button and maintain it pressed for 10 seconde while the
power cord is unplugged. next plug the power cord move again in setup program
by pressing f2 when you see the DELL logo.
on your keyboard strike ALT+E, and ALT+F; these combinaison reset your
setup program configurattion by the way, your network card configuration is
reseted too. save and exit the setup program. start normally you operating
system. and plug your network cord. the problem must been resolve.

OKuma

May 22, 2007, 11:13:47 PM5/22/07
Martin,

IE 7 doesn't support FTP folder browsing.

You have to use Explorer to accomplish this now.

Open Windows Explore and enter the FTP site name in the address bar.

This should give you the folder browsing again and allow you to upload
files.

OKuma

"Martin Vaupell" <Eqva...@MSN.dk> wrote in message

Martin Vaupell

May 24, 2007, 1:00:57 PM5/24/07
Ok any tips on how i do that,, back on windows xp, i would open
my computer or any other folder and simply enter the ftp-url

But when i do that here on vista, it pops up internet explore automatic
and goes to requested ftp-url.

So im haveing some troubles setting the settings for explore ? vs internet
explore.

Kind regards

Martin V.

"OKuma" <ok...@okumaware.com> skrev i meddelelsen

OKuma

May 25, 2007, 12:07:18 AM5/25/07
Are you clicking on a link to an FTP site?
If you are, it will open up IE
If this happens, click on the 'Page' button and select 'Open FTP site in
Windows Explorer'

If this option is not available, click on Tools, Internet Options
Click on Advanced
Under Browsing, make sure Enable FTP folder view (Outside of Internet
Explorer) is checked.

OKuma
"Martin Vaupell" <Eqva...@MSN.dk> wrote in message

Martin Vaupell

May 26, 2007, 1:57:51 PM5/26/07
It worked,, Ftp browsing is enabled again.
and set up a few sites, as remote drives in "my computer" its awsome.

Tx.. ;)

Good weekend ;)

Martin

BaRut

Mar 22, 2010, 9:59:27 AM3/22/10

I had a similar problem and found the fix. The issue: Windows Vista
machine connected to Linksys 8-port gigabit switch. The switch is
connected to a router (of course). All other non-Vista machines
connected to the switch worked fine. But, the Vista machine displayed
"network cable unplugged" message when connected to the
switch...however, it worked great when plugged directly into the router
(same cable used when connected to router and switch so I KNEW it was
NOT the cable). There were many suggested "fixes" out there, but the
ONE that worked was... Control Panel / System / Device Manager / Network
Adapters / Right Click on your network adapter / Properties / Advanced
Tab / Speed-Duplex Settings----CHANGE THIS SETTING TO "100 Mb Full
Duplex". The "Auto" setting apparently does not work when the machine
is connected to a switch. I don't completely understand why this
worked...but it did work!
Barry

--
BaRut

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Mar 22, 2010, 12:22:29 PM3/22/10

Hi
I am glad that you solve your problem.
However your explanation is somewhat lacking to in describing a solution to
such problem.
A Router is a combo unit of Routing circuits, Wireless Access Point, and a
switch.
There is No difference between the switch inside a Router and a stand alone
None manage switch.
It could be that your switch is Not doing so well any more, and it could be
a general mismatch in your Network.
In many cases switching to Force Full Duplex can hinder None Pro Network
rather than Help.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"BaRut" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

Ismo Salonen

Mar 23, 2010, 2:55:42 AM3/23/10

--snip--

If the world were perfect then the auto setting worked every time.
But there are some cases when it just fails, then setting the correct
parameters by hand fixes the problem. In the old days this was more common.

ismo

BaRut

Mar 25, 2010, 7:09:25 PM3/25/10

Whether Jack [MVP-Networking] likes it or not, Dave In Ky's fix worked.
All too often on these posts you see guys (like Jack) making assumptions
and criticizing fixes without knowing the facts....and what's so
frustrating is that they don't even type/communicate well enough to know
what the heck they are saying (read Jack's post and you'll see what I
mean). Also, many times (like Jack) they make erroneous statements
(like when Jack attempts to state that there is no difference between
the switch inside a router and a stand-alone switch). Jack, you're
obviously an expert, and I obviously have no trouble-shooting abilities
at all. So, why don't you tell all of us why the vista machine works
when I plug the cable into the router, but I get a "cable unplugged
message" when the vista machine is plugged into the switch. By the way,
all of the equipment is new. ;)

--
BaRut

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Mar 25, 2010, 8:07:37 PM3/25/10
Hi
Regardless poof the personal none technological remarks, I stand behind
every word that I post above.
Unfortunately many End-Users are Not equipped with the knowledge to describe
well the way their networks are configured which makes it very hard to pin
point the real trouble.
As I said before I am glad that you solve the immediate problem. I hope the
general reason for the behavior of your Network will not act in the Future.
Mean time leave well and prosper.:D
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"BaRut" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

Michael W Ryder

Mar 25, 2010, 8:14:15 PM3/25/10
Just because the equipment is new doesn't mean that they work the same.
I have run into numerous occasions where one switch doesn't work as
well with auto settings as another manufacturer's. All you were seeing
is that the switch and your computer couldn't agree without your
assistance. I bet that if you had replaced the Linksys switch with a
different brand you would not have had any problems.
Totally unrelated to your problem but I have had more problems with
Linksys products over the years than all other brands combined. This
includes intermittent and total failures. One Linksys router I had to
reboot almost daily. The D-Link router that replaced itnever needed to
be reset. The only switches I have had fail were Linksys.