Unsent messages in outbox

Michelle

Mar 17, 2007, 10:16:02 PM3/17/07
I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
--
Michelle Maust

Dalton@discussions.microsoft.com Patsy Dalton

Mar 18, 2007, 12:32:03 AM3/18/07

"Michelle" wrote:

have the same problem I don't think I'm opening my account properly do I
sign in with my msn account e-mail address. and follow throught as if I were
getting mail in and out through msn?

bjr

Mar 18, 2007, 8:48:54 AM3/18/07
I had this problem (cannot connect to smtp...- the ISP email computer)
occur on my wife's machine yesterday when the comcast highspeed went
out for a while. I copies the contents of the message, deleted the
message in the outbox, and then had her recreate the message for
sending. Message then was sent .

Cecil

Mar 18, 2007, 3:00:16 PM3/18/07
When I try to delete the 1st message in the OUTBOX that seems to be holding
up the sending of subsequent messages, I get a message "Unknown error has
occurred". Then another box drops down with the message "Deleting messages"
but none get deleted.

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 18, 2007, 7:05:26 PM3/18/07
Welcome to the club!

There are a few workarounds floating around, but several people
have reported severe corruption of their message store afterwards,
so I don't recommend the current crop of workarounds.

If you really can't send with Windows Mail due to the stuck message
in the Outbox, then either send that message with web mail, or else
install another email program like Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook.

Gary VanderMolen

Trick

Mar 18, 2007, 7:49:03 PM3/18/07
Michelle - Did your WinMail ever send any messages at all?

If not, contacting your internet service provider (ISP) is likely needed to
get their account settings worked out. They are too arcane & specific to
discuss here. I've spent a lot of time doing that with some installations,
once it works you're good to go.

If so, then as Gary replied, there are workarounds here to fix a known
symptom for an issue that MS/Vista installations have where randomly a
message suddenly gets stuck in a WinMail box for no apparent reason. If it
is the outbox, it blocks sending more mail. You have to be a little more
than novice to implement the corrective steps though. See what you can find
in other threads around here. Search on "outbox" or "stuck".

I think Gary is referring to not recommending the threads that talk about
deleting only a certain 'MessageStor' file because there are posts pointing
out trouble & no fix is experienced with that but I'm not knowledgeable
enough. MS had me delete the whole WinMail email storage folder named 'Local
Folder' and have the system regenerate it. So far that has not caused me any
trouble & fixed my sending issue.

R. C. White, MVP

Mar 26, 2007, 3:38:42 PM3/26/07
Hi, Michelle.

If you get that error message again, please copy it and post it here
verbatim. Even if it is confusing to you (and maybe to me), it will mean a
lot to the folks here who can help you. (POP3 is the current version of
Post Office Protocol, or something like that.)

Your mail server name may not be correctly entered in Tools | Accounts, on
the Server tab in Properties for your server. News servers don't always
require passwords, but Mail servers usually do, and some of them require
other security features, too, like SPA. And some mail servers will refuse
to send mail unless you are logged on to them directly, rather than through
another portal, even though they might download incoming mail for you.

If you are still having the problem, please post back with more details.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Michelle" <Mich...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

delete outbox message.@discussions.microsoft.com can't delete outbox message.

Mar 27, 2007, 8:52:41 PM3/27/07
when i try to delete the message in the outbox i get this messare:

An unknown error has occured. (with an OK box)

If i let it sit for severan seconds, a new box comes up:

Deleting Message.

this sits there for ever, never deleting the message.

this message was sent out ok i beleave, if i go back and look at the message
it says:

Message could not be displayed
Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

this is getting annoining... please help to delete this.
thanks.
paul.............

Steve Cochran

Mar 27, 2007, 10:19:25 PM3/27/07
The only clear solution to this at the moment is to go to the Windows Mail
directory (Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder) and move everything
from that directory to another directory. Then WinMail will start fresh.
You can then use File | Import | Messages and point to the directory to
which you moved the message store to recover the messages.

steve

"can't delete outbox message." <can't delete outbox
message.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Mar 27, 2007, 11:25:58 PM3/27/07
For now, forget about deleting that stuck message, and ignore it.
Hopefully MS will come out with a fix soon.

Gary VanderMolen

R. C. White, MVP

Apr 9, 2007, 4:12:02 PM4/9/07
Hi, Steve.

Now it has happened to ME! :>(

I've tried all the solutions that I and you and others have suggested. No
joy.

The solution in your last post (create new store folder, then import from
old) works - but too well! It imports the defective Outbox along with the
good stuff, so I'm back in the same place as before (and it took a couple of
hours to do the Import from/to my one computer). Except that now I have a
second copy of my Message Store that I can play with while my original stays
intact.

Some details: Windows Mail has worked well for me since midway through the
Vista beta, and since I installed Vista Ultimate x64 on my AMD Athlon 64 X2
5000+ system after I upgraded it in December. Until last Thursday, 4/5/07.
Then I Replied to a message from my daughter-in-law. But there was an
unrelated glitch just as I hit the Send button and I panicked and hit the
Big Red X to exit WM in the middle of the Send operation. When I restarted
WM, everything was normal EXCEPT that my Reply was still in the Outbox,
still marked Unread. But when I tried to view the message, WM told me,

"Message could not be displayed
Windows Mail encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try

again." The "low memory or low disk space" verbiage is pure boilerplate
garbage; there is plenty of memory and disk space. Surprisingly, that
message IS in my Sent Items, (and she confirms that she received it) so it
did go out, but WM got interrupted before completing its internal
bookkeeping, so it has not cleared it from my Outbox. The mistake is my
fault, I think, but WM should give me a graceful way - or at least, SOME
WAY - to correct my mistake.

That is the last email that I've been able to send from WM. Every email
I've tried to send since then has stayed in my Outbox, waiting for that
stuck message to clear. Newsgroup posts get sent normally, so I expect you
will see this one. I've been able to send email from Outlook 2007. For a
couple of days, I worried that I was also not receiving email, but
apparently my usually-active mailing lists were simply not sending me any
mail over the Easter weekend. I've contacted my ISP (Grande Communications,
headquartered here in San Marcos), both by phone and by Mail2web; the
problem is not at their end, it's here in WM on my computer. My server
settings, password, etc., are correct and work for everything except sending
email via WM.

My mail store (..\Vista) has been duplicated, as I said above (into
..\Vista2) (and both versions are set to Leave messages on server). so I
have some files to safely play with. But I don't know which ones to tackle.
So far as I can tell, my manipulations have not lost any messages, but I've
not been able to delete that stuck one, either. I've deleted the ..\Local
Folders\Outbox folder, both from Windows Explorer and from an
Administrator:Command Prompt. First I deleted the few contents of the
Outbox folder, then I deleted the entire folder. No problem with deleting
it, but when I restart WM, the Outbox has been rebuilt. I expected that,
but that stuck message is back again, and I did not expect that!

I think the Mail Team needs to take a serious look at this one. Some bits
way down in the guts of WM need to be flipped to let us delete the
undeletable message in the Outbox. You are the only person outside MS that
I can think of who might be able to figure out which bits, Steve. I hope
you have the time to do it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
r...@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Steve Cochran" <scoc...@oehelp.com> wrote in message

Steve Cochran

Apr 12, 2007, 10:53:24 AM4/12/07
Hi RC,

Okay, that was very helpful. Do you have any antivirus sw on the computer?

I've tried various things to duplicate it and I couldn't, your step was very
helpful.

You have a copy of OEX (check your inbox. <G>). See if you can delete it
from the outbox display in OEX. That would help to know if that's possible.
Then I could write a small routine to clear the outbox that way.

Otherwise you can reset the message store by moving its entire contents to a
different directory and then reopening WinMail.

cheers,

steve

"R. C. White, MVP" <r...@grandecom.net> wrote in message

R. C. White, MVP

Apr 12, 2007, 10:03:37 PM4/12/07
Hi, Steve.

SUCCESS! ;<)

Today I tried the move-then-Import-back routine, as you instructed a couple
of messages ago. But this time, I did it right - and it worked! But it
sure took a lot longer than it should.

The step that I messed up on before was the Move. I had closed Windows Mail
and opened a Command Prompt window and used Robocopy to Move the files from
my Mail Store from the ..\Vista folder to a new ..\Vista2 folder. Today, I
closed WM and then used Windows Explorer to do the Move. I highlighted the
Vista folder, then used <Ctr.>+A to Select All its files and folders. Then
I used the mouse to drag them to my new Vista4 folder. The actual Move took
only a couple of seconds, since Explorer simply changes the pointer to the
folders, rather than actually moving them.

When I started WM again, I clicked Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store
Folder to be sure that it was still pointing to the (now-empty) Vista
folder. Then I clicked File | Import | Messages and pointed to my new
Vista4 folder. I chose to import All folders. I should have been more
selective because it took a looong time to import all my newsgroup posts.
And then I had to recreate my News accounts, resubscribe to NGs, and
re-download the posts again, anyhow. And I had to delete the ones that I
had imported. It took about an hour to Import everything, and then most of
an hour to move the folders back from Imported Folders to Local Folders.

The good news is that when the Import was finished, my Outbox was empty.
And my emails now go out normally. ;<)

Thanks again.

Now look for my latest dilemma: Signatures. That's what jammed my Outbox
in the first place - I think.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
r...@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Steve Cochran" <scoc...@oehelp.com> wrote in message

R. C. White, MVP

Apr 12, 2007, 10:05:34 PM4/12/07
Hi, Steve.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question: No, I don't have any antivirus
running on this computer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
r...@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Steve Cochran" <scoc...@oehelp.com> wrote in message

> Hi RC,
>
> Okay, that was very helpful. Do you have any antivirus sw on the
> computer?

<SNIP>

> steve
>

> "R. C. White, MVP" <r...@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Steve.
>>
>> Now it has happened to ME! :>(

<SNIP>

Steve Cochran

Apr 13, 2007, 8:12:15 AM4/13/07
Thanks.

Anything that helps localize the issue.

steve

"R. C. White, MVP" <r...@grandecom.net> wrote in message

Willow

Apr 17, 2007, 5:46:01 PM4/17/07
I have the same problem...trouble is I can't even find my outbox to delete
them so the same two messages have come up for a week now...Help!!! I can
send all other messages. At the time the two messages wouldn't go, I didn't
have my send email protocol entered right.
Willow

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Apr 17, 2007, 8:03:13 PM4/17/07
"Willow" <Wil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have the same problem...trouble is I can't even find my outbox to delete
> them so the same two messages have come up for a week now...Help!!! I can
> send all other messages. At the time the two messages wouldn't go, I
> didn't
> have my send email protocol entered right.
> Willow

I answered one of your other posts.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

fredo

Apr 22, 2007, 8:02:03 PM4/22/07
I open up options in windows mail, but there is no maintenance area to go
into. Where is maintenance located???

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Apr 22, 2007, 9:18:12 PM4/22/07
It's under the Advanced tab.
I don't know what this has to do with the messages you quoted.

"fredo" <fr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

bobinnh

Apr 26, 2007, 2:22:07 PM4/26/07
is in mail pop3 and out mail is i dont know do yoy thank you

bobinnh

Apr 26, 2007, 2:40:03 PM4/26/07
i am trying to send out on creags list but i cant it wont send mail out but
i can with google or other mail what up with this i still get unsent mail in
out box what could i do its a new lap top thank you

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 26, 2007, 5:31:33 PM4/26/07
Could you rephrase your problem statement into recognizable sentences
with proper punctuation, capitalization, etc., so we can understand it?

Gary VanderMolen

Steve Cochran

Apr 28, 2007, 5:25:03 AM4/28/07
Probably not.

steve

"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message

Oppenheimer@discussions.microsoft.com Bill Oppenheimer

Apr 28, 2007, 8:22:02 PM4/28/07
windows mail

"Michelle" wrote:

> Michelle Maur
I try to send or delete a message in my outbox but it stays there.I called
Dell but they didn't help. They had me check my account. I checked my
internet provider, but no one has helped me. I have wuindows vista premium.
Bill Oppenheimer

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 28, 2007, 8:43:36 PM4/28/07
Unfortunately this is a common bug with Windows Mail.
Once you get a 'ghost' email stuck in the Outbox, and
it won't let you send anything, your options are quite limited.
If you don't feel comfortable doing the database deletion/regeneration
method that has been posted here numerous times, then your
only remaining option is to install and use a different email program.
Mozilla Thunderbird is free:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Gary VanderMolen

"Bill Oppenheimer" <Bill Oppen...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

wpr

Apr 29, 2007, 12:54:10 AM4/29/07
I have been using my Windows Mail program for a couple of months. Then today
I ended up w/ the same problem. I can receive but not send.
I have deleted my account and created a new one. I have deleted my out
going email. I don't know what else to do. A little help would be
appreciated.
Here is the error message:

The rejected e-mail address was 'Dink...@hotmail.com'. Subject 'test',
Account: 'Wayne', Server: 'smtp.oglecom.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server
Response: '550 not local host hotmail.com, not a gateway', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 29, 2007, 1:27:05 AM4/29/07
When you attempted to send that message, was Oglecom
providing your Internet connection at that moment, or were
you connected to the Internet in some other fashion?
Were you sending To or From that hotmail.com address?
Are you able to send to non-hotmail addresses?

Gary VanderMolen

Julian

Apr 29, 2007, 5:35:54 AM4/29/07

> Unfortunately this is a common bug with Windows Mail.
> Once you get a 'ghost' email stuck in the Outbox, and
> it won't let you send anything, your options are quite limited.
> If you don't feel comfortable doing the database deletion/regeneration
> method that has been posted here numerous times, then your
> only remaining option is to install and use a different email program.
> Mozilla Thunderbird is free:
> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
>
> Gary VanderMolen

Are you equally adept with TB?
If so, I'm having a problem with TB 1.5 Add-ons.
Cheers.

mac

Apr 29, 2007, 7:29:46 AM4/29/07

"Julian" <Julia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Are you equally adept with TB?
> If so, I'm having a problem with TB 1.5 Add-ons.
> Cheers.

Switch to Windows Mail, no problems with the Add-ons here, just an
occasional stuck message <vbeg>

Julian

Apr 29, 2007, 7:58:27 AM4/29/07
" mac" <mack...@fsmail.net> wrote in message

I'm using both :-(

Windows Mail because
(a) I like the way it marks corssposted messages read
across the board when a message is read in just one group
(b) WM can combine and decode.

Thunderbird for all other reasons.

wpr

Apr 29, 2007, 3:08:03 PM4/29/07
Hello Gary,
Let me see if I can answer all your questions.

1. I have a laptop. Oglecom is the provider that I have at my office. I
have another provider at home. When I tried to send the message yesterday, I
was on the other provider's connection.
Pause- a) It has never been an issue in the past 2 months.
b) My wife has a computer with an Oglecom address and she was able to send
an email thru her Oglecom account even though the house is on the other
internet service.
2. I had tried to send emails to 4-5 different people. They all had
different addresses. None of them worked. They all had similar messages to
the one I posted.
3. As for the message I posted, at that time I was sending it to a hotmail
account. I can not use Windows Mail for hotmail accounts they won't upload
nor download. When I want to use hotmail I have to go online to do anything
at all.
4. In the past I could send to any type of account. Now I can not send any
type of email. Now matter what the address.
wpr

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 29, 2007, 5:54:55 PM4/29/07
"Julian" <Julia...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:0A0B42E0-1B59-46A9...@microsoft.com...
> "Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message news:efIysdf...@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Mozilla Thunderbird is free:
>> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
>>

> Are you equally adept with TB?
> If so, I'm having a problem with TB 1.5 Add-ons.

Sorry, no. I don't use Thunderbird myself.
--
Gary VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 29, 2007, 6:05:14 PM4/29/07
Thanks for clarifying your scenario.
As a general rule, ISPs will block outgoing mail on port 25 (SMTP)
unless your computer is connected to their network at that moment.
Not all do this, but most of the bigger ISPs do that blocking for
anti-spamming reasons. It is possible that Oglecom only recently
implemented this restriction. The workaround is as follows:
If either of your two ISPs allows outgoing mail on a port other than
25 (typically 465 or 587), use *that* SMTP server for all your sending
needs. There is no requirement that the incoming and outgoing servers
have to be a matched pair.

Gary VanderMolen

Julian

Apr 29, 2007, 6:07:59 PM4/29/07
"Gary VanderMolen" <ga...@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message

Cheers.
I'm going to stick with WM for newsgroups anyway.

wpr

Apr 29, 2007, 6:56:01 PM4/29/07
Gary I appreciate you taking time to help me with this. Esp on a Sunday.
I tried both 465 and 587 with no luck.
I check my wife's computer (she has the old outlook express program. ) The
smtp is set at 25 and I could send an email via oglecom from her program. So
I don't think the problem is ISP related. But what do I know.

Here is the last error message that I got when my outgoing email failed:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Re: Juda Grain', Account:
'Wayne', Server: 'smtp.oglecom.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 587, Secure(SSL):
No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Just so you know- I tried sending 4 ways. I did both port numbers you
suggested and I tried to send a message when the box "My server requires
authentication" was checked and unchecked. When checked I went to the next
screen and put my user name and password in a 2nd time.

wpr

Gary VanderMolen

Apr 29, 2007, 7:32:44 PM4/29/07
Well, you can't just try a bunch of port numbers and hope one of them
works. You should only try what your ISP makes available.
Most ISPs have an online self-help page that explains what ports
their mail servers work on.

From what you said before, it appears to me that the only time
sending fails is when you use your Oglecom (office) account
while connected to your home ISP.

What doesn't make sense, though, is that your wife can send from
her Oglecom account while connected to the home ISP. By all
rules of logic, her sending should fail also.

I still think the problem is ISP-related because when you carry
your laptop to the office, you can send fine from there.

What would happen if on your laptop you changed your
Oglecom account so that it uses the home ISP outgoing
mail server?

Gary VanderMolen

wpr

Apr 30, 2007, 10:36:01 PM4/30/07
Gary,
You are right. I can send from the office (oglecom's IP) but not the house
(the other company's IP). I will just leave it that way.
But like you said it is strange my wife doesn't have the same problem on her
computer.
Thanks for your help.

wpr

Gary VanderMolen

May 1, 2007, 1:07:10 AM5/1/07
There are always workarounds for problems like yours.
You could get a free Gmail account and use it for all your
sending chores, since Gmail will send regardless of where
you connect from.

Gary VanderMolen

Spriceless

May 2, 2007, 8:23:01 PM5/2/07
I had this problem today and I am using Outlook. However, I reboot my
Comcast modem and recycled (rebooted by holding the small pin on the
rightside if your holding the router frontwards) my Linksys router. I was
able to get connected with all my computers.

wpr

May 6, 2007, 10:14:01 PM5/6/07
I tried several times to get Gmail to send from my computer Windows Mail. It
won't. I will just send my emails from the office.

Gary VanderMolen

May 6, 2007, 10:29:24 PM5/6/07
All I can say is that Gmail works for just about everyone who has tried it.
If you get a Gmail error message, I'll be glad to analyze it.

Gary VanderMolen

Tire@discussions.microsoft.com Joe Tire

May 8, 2007, 12:45:00 PM5/8/07

baldeagle110

May 10, 2007, 6:27:00 PM5/10/07
Gary;I tried to download outlook express and vista would not install it,
because it tells me I have a higher internet explorer.It seems somehow to be
hooked in there somwhere. Thanks in advance Pony

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Welcome to the club!
>
> There are a few workarounds floating around, but several people
> have reported severe corruption of their message store afterwards,
> so I don't recommend the current crop of workarounds.
>
> If you really can't send with Windows Mail due to the stuck message
> in the Outbox, then either send that message with web mail, or else
> install another email program like Thunderbird or Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Gary VanderMolen
>
> "Cecil" <Ce...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2BD4526-A34D-4D3F...@microsoft.com...
> > When I try to delete the 1st message in the OUTBOX that seems to be holding
> > up the sending of subsequent messages, I get a message "Unknown error has
> > occurred". Then another box drops down with the message "Deleting messages"
> > but none get deleted.

> >> have the same problem I don't think I'm opening my account properly do I
> >> sign in with my msn account e-mail address. and follow throught as if I were
> >> getting mail in and out through msn?

Gary VanderMolen

May 10, 2007, 8:24:31 PM5/10/07
Outlook Express can not be installed in Vista.
Installing Outlook Express was not one of my suggestions.
Please reread my suggestions below.
Those suggestions were written a few weeks ago, and since then
there have been two new developments that affect this issue:

1. Steve Cochran has released a utility program that will remove
a stuck message from the Outbox:
Go to http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/
When you start to download the wmutil.zip file,
be sure to choose Save rather than Run.
After it finishes downloading choose Run, then Extract. Then it will
show the extraction folder with two files in it, WMUtil.exe and scxout.dll.
Run WMUtil.exe, wait until the buttons become active, then click on
Clear Outbox. It may take a while. Before you start, make sure
Windows Mail is not running.

2. Microsoft has announced that they will release a new email
program later this month. If you can wait a few weeks, I'd suggest
holding out for that. Or else, if you can't wait, download and install
the Thunderbird email program.

Gary VanderMolen

Michael

May 16, 2007, 11:19:02 AM5/16/07
Michael
I have the same problem, but there is nothing in the out box.
HELP

Gary VanderMolen

May 16, 2007, 1:02:24 PM5/16/07
Did you try the new version of http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/ ?

You are quoting a fairly old post. One thing you can count on
with technology: things change.

Gary VanderMolen

Smith@discussions.microsoft.com Lisa Smith

May 18, 2007, 3:41:03 PM5/18/07
I have this same problem. I actually have had a message stuck in my outbox
for 2 months now because everything I tried didn't work. I finally took
someones advice to just leave it there and ignore it until Microsoft came up
with something to fix the problem. Now yesterday, I went to leave windows
mail and I get a message that says that I have "unsent message in my outbox.
Do I want to send them now?" Why am I getting this message after (2) months
of having this blank message there? It is really frustrating - I wish they
would get some software to fix this - FAST!!!

Julian

May 18, 2007, 3:56:44 PM5/18/07
"Lisa Smith" <Lisa Sm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have this same problem. I actually have had a message stuck in my outbox
> for 2 months now because everything I tried didn't work. I finally took
> someones advice to just leave it there and ignore it until Microsoft came
> up
> with something to fix the problem. Now yesterday, I went to leave windows
> mail and I get a message that says that I have "unsent message in my
> outbox.
> Do I want to send them now?" Why am I getting this message after (2)
> months
> of having this blank message there? It is really frustrating - I wish
> they
> would get some software to fix this - FAST!!!

"This issue of a message being stuck in the outbox is a very common
occurrence with Windows Mail.
A successful fix has been developed by Steve Cochran:

Go to http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/
Be sure to read the Program Operation notes! When you start to
download the file, be sure to choose Save rather than Run.
After wmutil.zip finishes downloading, choose Run, then Extract. Then it

will show the extraction folder with two files in it, WMUtil.exe and
scxout.dll.
Run WMUtil.exe, wait until the buttons become active, then click on
Clear Outbox. It may take a while. Before you start, make sure

Windows Mail is not running." - Gary VanDerMolen

I'll repeat the notes concerning making sure Windows Mail si not running
because
if it is the function you need nwon't be available.

If Windows Mail is open or if a current WinMail.exe process is running, the
Database functions are disabled, and they (the WinMail processes) must be
terminated before these features are available. (If WinMail is closed and
these buttons still remain disabled, then perform and CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and
under Processes find WinMail.exe and click on it, and then click the End
Process button.)

Steve Cochran

May 18, 2007, 4:23:04 PM5/18/07
See what Julian posted. Get my program at www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/ The
"clear outbox" button will fix it. Also, before you run my program, can you
zip your WindowsMail.MSMessagestore file for me and email it to me?

thanks,

steve

Unknown

May 20, 2007, 3:19:00 PM5/20/07

Dalpiaz@discussions.microsoft.com K. Dalpiaz

May 22, 2007, 1:47:00 PM5/22/07
Hey! Thank you, this worked and was easily performed with the instructions
provided. Many Thanks again

Gary VanderMolen

May 22, 2007, 2:25:14 PM5/22/07
Glad it worked out for you.

Gary VanderMolen

Mark Frankland

May 22, 2007, 5:33:02 PM5/22/07
I have had similar problems to many people with mail getting stuck in the
outbox.
Anyway, I loaded the program using the link listed below and it successfully
cleared my inbox.
A very big thank you - the instructions you have given in these discussion
groups have been excellent.

--
Mark Frankland

Steve Cochran

May 22, 2007, 11:05:15 PM5/22/07
Thanks, but you mean it cleared your outbox, not your inbox don't you?

cheers,

steve

"Mark Frankland" <MarkFr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mark Frankland

May 23, 2007, 3:00:01 AM5/23/07
Sorry - I meant my outbox
Thanks again!

Mandy

Jun 10, 2007, 5:10:00 PM6/10/07
I have had the same problem, and I followed your steps Gary, and it worked,
thanks for your help.
--
Mandy :)

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 10, 2007, 5:37:39 PM6/10/07
Glad it worked out for you. However, if the same problem
happens again, I recommend you switch to Windows Live Mail.

Gary VanderMolen

Rosenthal@discussions.microsoft.com Juan Rosenthal

Jun 13, 2007, 9:07:12 AM6/13/07

Juan Rosenthal

Jun 13, 2007, 3:37:03 PM6/13/07

hollis

Jun 17, 2007, 10:12:00 PM6/17/07
I have the same problem. I sent a message to several people but one of the e
mail addresses was wrong. My message did not go and now I cannot get it
deleted. What do I do? Bernita

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 17, 2007, 10:53:25 PM6/17/07
If there is a stuck message in the Outbox, you can use WMUtil:
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

If it happens repeatedly, switch to WLM.

Gary VanderMolen

Diane

Jun 18, 2007, 1:44:03 PM6/18/07

Diane

Jun 18, 2007, 4:25:01 PM6/18/07
I also have unsent messages in my outbox. I cannot get rid of the error
message. what can I do to get rid of the error box? Diane Osborne

R. C. White

Jun 18, 2007, 6:21:17 PM6/18/07
Hi, Diane.

As Gary said to Hollis in the message just before yours:

"If there is a stuck message in the Outbox, you can use WMUtil:
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

"If it happens repeatedly, switch to WLM.

"Gary VanderMolen"

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
r...@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Diane" <Di...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 18, 2007, 7:50:35 PM6/18/07
Read the reply to any of hundreds of posts about "outbox" in this newsgroup.
The fix is here: http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

Gary VanderMolen

Unknown

Jun 18, 2007, 8:20:01 PM6/18/07

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jun 19, 2007, 3:40:26 PM6/19/07
"privat...@home.com" <privat...@home.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:74BD164A-E890-445B...@microsoft.com...

Yes, that's pretty much what she wrote. And the answer has been given many
times in this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

nafousi@discussions.microsoft.com M nafousi

Jun 22, 2007, 2:02:14 PM6/22/07

for unsent messages@discussions.microsoft.com Website for unsent messages

Jun 26, 2007, 12:53:01 AM6/26/07

Hi, I attempted to access the website to resolve the unsent messages in my
outbox. I can't access it, is there any other way?

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 26, 2007, 2:14:27 AM6/26/07
What website?

Gary VanderMolen

"Website for unsent messages" <Website for unsent mess...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PBD-Moto

Jun 27, 2007, 5:24:02 AM6/27/07
G'day Gary

I too had this problem and followed your instructions for removal.
It worked a treat and now the system seems stable.

Cheers Gleyn

JOHNSON@discussions.microsoft.com K.E. JOHNSON

Jul 1, 2007, 12:24:00 AM7/1/07
Gary: I have just started to have problems with sending e-mail and having the
message end up in the outbox. What has worked so far is closing the error
window and then closing windows mail. When the pane telling me I still have
mail in outbox would I like to send it I select yes and it goes. This last
time that didn't work until I went to Steves link and then closed the mail
prior to download and then it sent. I still downlaoded and used the utilities
and hopefully that will take care of it; until next time. Mucho thanks, you
are a great help to all. I have Microsoft office, student 2003 in my other
computer; too bad it's a one unit lincense. I'll wait for fix. Thanks again,
K.E.

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 1, 2007, 1:06:59 AM7/1/07
When you get tired of fighting the Windows Mail gremlins (as I did),
try Windows Live Mail.
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

"K.E. JOHNSON" <K.E. JOH...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jett

Jul 9, 2007, 2:10:02 PM7/9/07

ronquillo@discussions.microsoft.com patrick ronquillo

Jul 10, 2007, 4:38:04 AM7/10/07

rat@discussions.microsoft.com River rat

Jul 10, 2007, 9:36:06 AM7/10/07

JohnC. France

Jul 16, 2007, 10:42:00 AM7/16/07

I certified my alma mater by;heroin it''s my wife and it''s my life,there''s
a hole in daddy''s arm where all the money goes and Let Me Stand Next To Your
Fire by Jimi Hendrix;Vietnam Vets Coalition.

"River rat" wrote:

>on-line dfficile;Tatanya was working at Cigar King when I took her lighter fluid
for Christmas and told her it would make her popular. The next summer I saw
her
out front and she said she had a new job."Summertime and the livin' is
easy,catfish jumpin' and the river is high,you're daddy's rich and your
moma's good lookin',so hush pretty darlin' don't you cry."Old man river that
old man river he don't know nothin' he don't care nothin' that old man river
he just keeps rollin' along/Tote that barge lift that bale get a little drunk
and you land in jail/I've been workin' for most my lifetime but old man river
he don't care nothin' that old man river he just keeps rollin' along.SHOWBOAT

vforbestam...@discussions.microsoft.com

Jul 19, 2007, 10:24:02 AM7/19/07

Forbes/Pulley

jeff

Jul 19, 2007, 6:46:01 PM7/19/07

happytrails

Jul 20, 2007, 1:32:04 AM7/20/07

happytrails

Jul 20, 2007, 1:38:02 AM7/20/07
Michelle, Having the same problem as you have no idea how to fix it. Hope
some one can show me how to fix it. Thanks a bunch, Fran Duncan

Diane

Jul 20, 2007, 11:06:38 AM7/20/07

"Patsy Dalton" wrote:

> "Michelle" wrote:
>
> > I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
> > POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
> > --
> > Michelle Maust

Diane

Jul 20, 2007, 11:06:43 AM7/20/07

Diane

Jul 20, 2007, 11:14:03 AM7/20/07

bnmohan via WindowsKB.com

Jul 21, 2007, 10:56:29 AM7/21/07
Diane wrote:
>> I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
>> POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?

Wowwwww!!!!!!!!!!

Has SYMANTEC got a removal tool for WinMail yet? WinMail appears to be much
worse a threat than most viruses. But I understand Norton does not run on
Vista. Maybe that is deliberate.

Mohan

Ron Sommer

Jul 21, 2007, 11:37:14 AM7/21/07
Norton does run on Vista.
--
Ronald Sommer

"bnmohan via WindowsKB.com" <u35859@uwe> wrote in message

:

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 21, 2007, 3:03:31 PM7/21/07
"bnmohan via WindowsKB.com" <u35859@uwe> wrote in message news:7582186771ce1@uwe...
> Has SYMANTEC got a removal tool for WinMail yet? WinMail appears to be much
> worse a threat than most viruses. But I understand Norton does not run on
> Vista. Maybe that is deliberate.

Don't spread unfounded fear and doubt. Norton runs on Vista.
It just so happens that Windows Mail and Norton don't get along with each other.
Nothing new there. Outlook Express did not like Norton or McAfee antivirus either.
--
Gary VanderMolen

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jul 21, 2007, 10:12:12 PM7/21/07
"happytrails" <happy...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

See http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/
Please read ALL of the instructions.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Jul 21, 2007, 10:13:22 PM7/21/07
"Ron Sommer" <rso...@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

> Norton does run on Vista.

And screws things up, especially WinMail.

Joanne

Jul 21, 2007, 11:00:01 PM7/21/07

"Cecil" wrote:

> When I try to delete the 1st message in the OUTBOX that seems to be holding
> up the sending of subsequent messages, I get a message "Unknown error has
> occurred". Then another box drops down with the message "Deleting messages"
> but none get deleted.
>
> "Patsy Dalton" wrote:
>

> > "Michelle" wrote:
> >
> > > I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
> > > POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
> > > --
> > > Michelle Maust

Bud@discussions.microsoft.com Hitchin Bud

Jul 23, 2007, 4:38:05 PM7/23/07

"hollis" wrote:

> I have the same problem. I sent a message to several people but one of the e
> mail addresses was wrong. My message did not go and now I cannot get it
> deleted. What do I do? Bernita

Hitchin Bud

Jul 23, 2007, 4:40:06 PM7/23/07
Hi Gary

I tried the WMU solution as well but got the message "unable to access
database" when trying to run it. Any thoughts?

Hitchin Bud

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 23, 2007, 8:45:36 PM7/23/07
Steve Cochran is the author of that utility, and best qualified to
answer that question. He posts in this newsgroup periodically.

Your other option is to get away from that buggy Windows Mail
and upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Gary VanderMolen

B@discussions.microsoft.com Jerre B

Aug 5, 2007, 8:28:01 PM8/5/07

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> [...]

marie

Aug 8, 2007, 9:02:01 PM8/8/07
AFTER I CLOSE WINDOWS MAIL I GET "THERE IS A UNSENT MESSAGE IN YOUR OUTBOX"
DO TOU WANT TO SEND IT NOW YESOR NO EVEN WHEN I HAVE NOTHING TO SEND. HOW DO
I STOP THIS?

Julian

Aug 8, 2007, 9:43:31 PM8/8/07

"marie" <ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> AFTER I CLOSE WINDOWS MAIL I GET "THERE IS A UNSENT MESSAGE IN YOUR
> OUTBOX"
> DO TOU WANT TO SEND IT NOW YESOR NO EVEN WHEN I HAVE NOTHING TO SEND. HOW
> DO
> I STOP THIS?

Stop shouting, caps lock off, and follow the instructions
in one of the countless identical threads.

brink

Aug 8, 2007, 10:26:42 PM8/8/07

Hi Marie,

Read the top portion at this link and do the section for the folder
that your stuck "undeletable" message is in. It will get rid of it for
you.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.vistax64.com/ (\"http://www.vistax64.com/\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*

VD

Aug 13, 2007, 10:06:09 AM8/13/07
is window live mail free?

Julian

Aug 13, 2007, 10:18:51 AM8/13/07

"VD" <V...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> is window live mail free?

yes

dibiblue

Aug 14, 2007, 9:02:01 PM8/14/07

"Patsy Dalton" wrote:

> "Michelle" wrote:
>
> > I have unsent messages in my outbox. I get an error message regarding the
> > POP3 or something like that. What could the problem be?
> > --
> > Michelle Maust

It is loading more messages.