Can't open/save attachments in windows mail. Or open or run downlo

Stead

Sep 1, 2007, 2:22:00 PM9/1/07
Hi, I've just installed vista and i have this wonderfully strange problem.

outlook does not let me view or open attachments, get the error 'There was
an error saving one or more of the attachments"

Also, internet explorer will not save or open downloads, it downloads the
file, when i click either open or run, then when it finishes the download
window just closes, file doesn't get saved, although when i click run, i get
a comfirmation asking if i want to allow this file to berun click run and
nothing happens, highly annoying! cannot download an alternative browser
either which is even more annoying!!!

Wanchip

Sep 3, 2007, 8:10:01 PM9/3/07
Hi Stead, I have the same problem, I noticed that from 15th August when I
downloaded about 11 Microsoft updates (at least one of which cannot be
removed) I am unable to open any attachments in Windows Mail, if I try to
save them I get an error- command failed to execute, I've been unable to get
a solution to this as yet apart from setting up a hotmail account and they
open ok with that. The browser problem I found you need to disable User
Account Control (temporarly) then you can download ok. Hopefully Microsoft
will have a fix for this shortly but it doesn't seem to affect that many
people?? I don't think it's to do with anti- virus software (I'm using
Kaspersky IS Version 6) as I've disabled it to try it to no avail, also tried
system restore, also a no go, hope this helps you for now but really need a
proper fix, it's a pain having to restart your computer to switch the UAC off
and on, cheers for now, Wanchip.

ps I don't think there's anything "wonderfull" about it, lol.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Sep 4, 2007, 5:41:35 PM9/4/07

Stead

Sep 16, 2007, 5:06:01 AM9/16/07
Thanks for the reply, I can't do a system restore or anything as I
reinstalled windows and just let all the updates get applied straight away,
i'm not sure if it was an update or not that did it. I've disabled UAC but IE
still wo'nt download, I downloaded opera via my wm smart phone (which seems
more functional at times!) and then run the installed it on my pc just to be
able to download files, even with hotmail I can not download files.

Its annoying tho, using opera as my main browser because a lot of sites seem
to require and active x control that opera doesn't suport and have to flick
between the to.

its wonderful for microsoft, people have these problems yet they still use
the software!!! and then I get told to reply from a ms person that I should
be posting in the outlook group even tho i'm using windows mail in vista..not
that i'm bitter!:P

Stead

Sep 16, 2007, 5:08:01 AM9/16/07
Sorry, I meant windows mail, however I keep forgetting that microsoft likes
to randomly rename everything from time to time, (love how windows mail and
windows calender and windows contacts no longer sync to a wm device as well
since upgrading to vista)

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Sep 17, 2007, 8:22:11 AM9/17/07
Windows Mail is not a replacement for Outlook, it's a replacement for
Outlook Express.

In Windows Mail go to Tools | Options | security and uncheck the option
telling it not to allow you to open of save attachments tthat may contain a
virus.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

"Stead" <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Asif

Oct 13, 2007, 5:21:01 PM10/13/07
I have also experiencing same problem and after doing research i found that
windows defender(builtain antivirus in vista) is causing problem. so turned
off windows defender and then my problem is over.(also remove startup file
from msconfig)type msconfig in run command and then go to startup tab and
remove check from windows defender. i 100% sure it will work bcz it works in
my pc.

Pigpog

May 29, 2008, 6:50:01 AM5/29/08
Hi Guys,

I have been having the same problem for he last few days......

My Vista Basic has been up and running fine for ages. I have defender turned
off aslo as it has previously caused me conflicts. I cannot open attachments,
cannot save them and cannot download anything via windows mail and internet
explorer 7. I have solved the Explorer probblem with Firefox. But there is an
attachmenyt from an old email that I needto open and I cant...I dont leave
messages on server so a bit stuffed. As I say this is a recent problem that
happened over the last week.......and yes some updates have been installed.
I have also reset security settings as advised in a differetn forum, turned
off UAC as advised by a different forum. Am stuck now as to what to try next.
How do we get Microsoft to look at the problem. Any ideas anyone....?

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

May 29, 2008, 12:51:13 PM5/29/08
To get Microsoft to pay attention to Windows Mail problems, you'll
probably have to pay for it. They don't seem to have read this
newsgroup during the last few months, and it's been about 17 months
since they released any new hotfixes for Windows Mail.

Can you open the message that has the attachment? If so, click the
paperclip near the top right corner of the message that is supposed
to give you options for the attachment, and record the file name.
If it's winmail.dat, you'll probably have to install Outlook (not Outlook
Express) to be able to open the attachment. If it's anything else,
tell us the part of its filename starting with the last period and we may
be able to help with that file type.

"Pigpog" <Pig...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pigpog

May 29, 2008, 1:18:03 PM5/29/08
I can indeed open messages but cannot open or save attachments..it is a prop
that only started last week...never had propblems before but co-incides with
downloaded files disapeearing and not saving......like the foirst
pposter..tried all the advice given but nothing seems to work........am now
leaving messages on server so I can open up with different mail client and
download the attachments.........but thanks for help....and the attachments I
want to save are mostly word docs...nothing unusual.

It all started after a windows update....hmmmmmmmmm

Gary VanderMolen

May 29, 2008, 2:04:13 PM5/29/08
Turning off UAC or Windows Defender is not recommended.

You didn't say which antivirus you are running. It could well be the cause
of your Windows Mail problems. One solution is to upgrade to Windows
Live Mail, since it is less prone to interference from antivirus programs.
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

You can't get Microsoft interested in Windows Mail problems because
it is a discontinued product for all practical purposes.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

joemama

Jun 11, 2008, 9:08:05 AM6/11/08

Gary VanderMolen;3770127 Wrote:
> Turning off UAC or Windows Defender is not recommended.
>
> You didn't say which antivirus you are running. It could well be the
> cause
> of your Windows Mail problems. One solution is to upgrade to Windows
> Live Mail, since it is less prone to interference from antivirus
> programs.
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> You can't get Microsoft interested in Windows Mail problems because
> it is a discontinued product for all practical purposes.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
Well, the problem also occurs with WindowsLiveMail, even with all
antivirus software removed!

Tom

--
joemama
joemama's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51405

http://forums.techarena.in

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Jun 11, 2008, 11:29:52 AM6/11/08

"joemama" <joemama...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Gary VanderMolen;3770127 Wrote:
>> Turning off UAC or Windows Defender is not recommended.
>>
>> You didn't say which antivirus you are running. It could well be the
>> cause
>> of your Windows Mail problems. One solution is to upgrade to Windows
>> Live Mail, since it is less prone to interference from antivirus
>> programs.
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> You can't get Microsoft interested in Windows Mail problems because
>> it is a discontinued product for all practical purposes.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
> Well, the problem also occurs with WindowsLiveMail, even with all
> antivirus software removed!
>
> Tom
>

> --
> joemama
Then we need a more complete description of the problem to offer much help.
In this newsgroup if you'd rather fix Windows Mail, or in the following
newsgroup if you'd rather fix Windows Live Mail.

microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

For example., what is the part of the attachment file name after the last
period?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Assume that the people who provide most of the answers use methods of
reading this newsgroup that have some advantages, but make it difficult
to go back to previous messages in the thread if you don't quote them.

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 11, 2008, 1:05:34 PM6/11/08
The response of mine you quoted below was addressing someone
else's problem. We don't seem to have a problem description from
you.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

sarahbale

Jun 18, 2008, 6:12:45 AM6/18/08
I am having the same problem. If I try to open an attachment directly from the mail it doenst do anything, if I click to 'save as' then I get a message that 'the command failed to execute' this is the same if I try to save an attachment that I recieved last week that I opened with no problem at all!

I have switched the user control off too, and also the option in Winmail to not allow attachements.

If I download a file from IE, I go through the full process of downloading it, 10% 50% etc... then I go to where it saved and it is not there?

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Jun 18, 2008, 11:13:35 AM6/18/08

"Sarah Bale" wrote in message news:20086186124...@hotmail.com...
What if any antivirus programs do you have, and have you ever had a
Norton or McAfee antivirus program on that computer? Some of them
cause assorted problems under Windows Mail, although seldom
immediately.

henryo'keefe

Jun 18, 2008, 5:29:22 PM6/18/08
I'm having exactly the same problem as Sarah Bale.
It all started this past weekend.

Dan

Jun 18, 2008, 5:51:00 PM6/18/08
Hi guys ... if you want to solve all your email problems in one hit then
abandon windows mail altogether as I did, nothing but problems that could not
be sorted and will never be fixed.....
go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/ doenload and install
thunderbird, set as your default email and all your problems are solved

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 18, 2008, 5:55:25 PM6/18/08
We can't help you unless you describe your problem in detail,
and include a complete copy of any error message.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

henryo'keefe

Jun 19, 2008, 11:04:29 AM6/19/08
Thanks for the idea da, but this problem is more severe than being able to solve it so simply as downloading another program - I can't open any downloads - not even Foxfire.

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 19, 2008, 1:32:35 PM6/19/08
Then your problem has nothing to do with Windows Mail.
You may want to reinstall Vista.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

Roztally

Jun 21, 2008, 12:06:00 PM6/21/08
I have the same problem the others have described. It ssem tto have just
started after most recent Windows updates. From reading the message string
it sounds like updates may be the problem. I don't have clue how to remove
the guilty update(s), let alone find which one(s) are the problem. Is
Microsoft part of this discussion? If not, how do we get them to respond in a
qiuck and effective way. Not being able to open or save email attachments is
UNACCEPTABLE!

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 21, 2008, 1:52:06 PM6/21/08
The Windows Update really isn't the problem, although sometimes it
seems to wake up a slumbering incompatibility in one of your third party
security programs. Which antivirus are you running?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

snowbubble

Jun 22, 2008, 8:05:13 PM6/22/08

Sarah I am experiencing the same problem as you.

I'm using the vista operating system with Windows mail.

I'm using windows mail as normal and am able to send and receive
e-mails. However in the last couple of weeks I am unable to open
any attachments whether they be Word documents or otherwise. This
includes Word documents already in my account that I could open
previously.
I have not added any programs apart from the automatic update from
Windows.

When I try to open the attachment nothing happens. If I right click and
try and save it a message appears

'the command failed to execute'

In addition I set up a Thunderbird mail account. I send the e-mail
attachments I was unable to open to the Thunderbird account and opened
them without problem.
This would suggest it is not my security settings.

I was unable to find any help on the web. The only advice was to
uncheck the security setting in tools which made no difference.

Anyone with ideas?

--
snowbubble
snowbubble's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=51917

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 22, 2008, 8:39:44 PM6/22/08
What you are seeing is a typical result of running a non-compatible
antivirus. Over time, Windows Mail gets corrupted by the antivirus.
Which antivirus program are you running?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

snowbubble

Jun 23, 2008, 4:33:59 AM6/23/08

Thank you for the reply. I am using AVG 8.

If I uninstall AVG do you think it may solve the problem?

Thanks.

henryo'keefe

Jun 23, 2008, 9:45:08 AM6/23/08
I'm using AVG Free 8.0.

henryo'keefe

Jun 23, 2008, 9:45:44 AM6/23/08

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Jun 23, 2008, 11:28:15 AM6/23/08

"snowbubble" <snowbubb...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Thank you for the reply. I am using AVG 8.
>
> If I uninstall AVG do you think it may solve the problem?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> snowbubble
If you used a standard install for AVG, uninstalling it, then doing a
custom install where you tell it to leave out the parts that scan email
often helps your Windows Mail problems.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

While it's uninstalled, you might want to check if this also helps
your other problems.

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Jun 23, 2008, 12:24:30 PM6/23/08

"Henry O'Keefe" wrote in message news:200862394...@sympatico.ca...

> I'm using AVG Free 8.0.

Can you do what? If there are any previous messages in this thread, many of
the more frequent responders in this newsgroup use methods of reaching the
newsgroups that have some advantages, but make it hard to find previous

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Jun 23, 2008, 12:28:04 PM6/23/08

"Henry O'Keefe" wrote in message news:2008623945...@sympatico.ca...

> I'm using AVG Free 8.0.

Did you use the standard install for AVG? If you did, it often solves
some problems in Windows Mail if you uninstall it, then do a custom
install where you tell it to leave out the parts that scan email.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Gary VanderMolen

Jun 23, 2008, 12:41:06 PM6/23/08
Chances are, you installed AVG using the default install option.
If so, uninstall it, then reinstall, but select custom install,
which then allows you to unselect its troublesome email
scanning module.

Note: For continuity when replying, please quote the message
you are replying to.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Anga@discussions.microsoft.com Dennis Anga

Jun 29, 2008, 5:57:01 PM6/29/08
So what works now. How did yah fix it?

cavandra

Jul 10, 2008, 11:25:00 PM7/10/08
I also have just encountered problems after a recent "update".........
I have Vista
I have AVG Free 8 (custom to stop email scans)
I have tried it with AVG disabled.
I have tried disabling defender, and that did nothing
I have set the correct options in tools to allow attachments.

Since this update on the weekend, it stopped my "Incredimail " email program
working, as it now wont recognise "Flash", I have been forced to use Windows
Mail & I can not open ANY attachements at all, it shuts down the program
every time!

Gary VanderMolen

Jul 11, 2008, 12:46:31 AM7/11/08
Do you have any other third party security programs like a firewall?
The Zone Alarm firewall was known to be negatively affected by the
recent Windows Update. If that's not it, uninstall AVG as a test.

Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are pretty much guaranteed
to be 100% compatible. ;-)

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

cavandra

Jul 11, 2008, 3:17:00 AM7/11/08

Thanks Gary, but no I dont have a Firewall, and I did uninstall AVG to try
it, & then re installed it via "Custom" to take out the email
scanner..........Still no use!

I have managed to fix my incredimail /Flash Player issue, so that appears to
be a seperate issue entirely.........I thought the 2 problems might have been
related somehow.

Cheers

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Jul 11, 2008, 10:38:44 AM7/11/08
A new version of the flash player is available, but after I saw that
the software license agreement you have to approve is 282 pages
of print too fine to read on the screen, I decided to do without it:

<http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=shockwaveFlash>

Note that the Google Toolbar program should not be installed on Vista
systems where Windows Mail is used, since it causes problems in
Windows Mail. Web sites that let you do a Google search are not a
problem.

"cavandra" <cava...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rossi@discussions.microsoft.com Kent Rossi

Aug 1, 2008, 1:19:01 AM8/1/08

Kent Rossi

Aug 1, 2008, 1:25:00 AM8/1/08
Have the same problems as others with
Windows Mail. Read every post. Everytime I go to open an attachment
Windows Mail freezes. Based on all posts this is not a anti-virus program
problem which leads me to believe this is a Microsoft problem. To many
people are having this problem. Has anybody come up with a solution rather
than the multitude of guess work that is going on out there.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 1, 2008, 1:42:01 AM8/1/08
In many cases it *is* an antivirus problem. Which antivirus are you
running?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Kent Rossi

Aug 1, 2008, 9:58:00 PM8/1/08
I have eAcceleration (StopSign program). Prior to going back to system
restore (out of the box beginning) was able to get the attachments.
Something happen and I and many others don't have the answer.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 1, 2008, 11:19:24 PM8/1/08
I'm not familiar with that antivirus program. In fact, you're the first person
to report using that program since I became a regular responder here
in February 2007.
The first thing to try is to turn off any email scanning done by your antivirus.
Email scanning causes nothing but problems and is unnecessary, see

Turning off email scanning may not be sufficient.
The only way to prove or disprove that your antivirus
is the culprit is to uninstall it, then try Windows Mail again. I assume
you can always reinstall if there is no difference.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs:
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Aug 2, 2008, 5:00:08 AM8/2/08
"Kent Rossi" <Kent...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You've turned off the option to block unsafe attachments?

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Kent Rossi

Aug 2, 2008, 11:44:01 PM8/2/08
Prior to uninstalling my antivirus program did "You've turned off the option
to block unsafe attachments?" and this did nothing. Uninstalled my
anti-virus program (StopSign) and the problem still occurs. This has to be a
Microsoft issue. To many people are having this problem for it to be
otherwise. Please, please for the Vista community find an answer to this
problem. Word of mouth of this problem I'm sure has spread to others who are
thinking of buying a Vista program or updating to Vista. Kent

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 3, 2008, 2:44:39 AM8/3/08
I recommend you upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Kent Rossi

Aug 3, 2008, 2:15:00 PM8/3/08
Upgraded to Windows Live Mail and problem still exists (can't open
attachments). Can't believe the answer to this problem of many vista users
can't be found.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 3, 2008, 5:42:56 PM8/3/08
What happens in Windows Live Mail when you try to open an attachment?
Will it allow you to save the attachment?

Actually, very few Vista users have this persistent problem that you seem to
be having with attachments.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Kent Rossi

Aug 3, 2008, 10:23:59 PM8/3/08
When I click on the attachment Windows live mail freezes and I have to shut
down.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 3, 2008, 11:44:48 PM8/3/08
Can you do: File, Save Attachments?

Do you have any other third party security programs installed, such as
anti-spyware?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Kent Rossi

Aug 4, 2008, 2:48:06 PM8/4/08
No additional spyware other than the Defender program. I can save the
attachment and when done the Windows Mail program freezes and I have to close.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 4, 2008, 4:11:43 PM8/4/08
Well, you have me stumped. Windows Defender is fully compatible.
One other non-compatible program is Google Desktop, and (for
Toshiba computers) the Desktop SMS program.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Kent Rossi

Aug 4, 2008, 4:23:04 PM8/4/08
Have not installed any programs since problem occurred (do not have goggle
destop). Based on 51 postings plus other same problem sites would say this
is a problem. Still believe this is Windows problem (downloading updates to
Windows). E-Mail attachements mail I have to forward to my yahoo account to
open. What a pain

Would appreciate you passing this on to HQ for their review. If I had to do
it all over would give Apple strong consideration.

Thanks for trying.

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 4, 2008, 4:48:16 PM8/4/08
We have been able to resolve better than 99% of complaints of being
unable to open attachments, so your case is very unusual.

Microsoft is not accepting comments for Windows Mail, but
comments for Windows Live Mail can be submitted here:
https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlmaildesktop

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

tonyo'donnell

Aug 30, 2008, 12:13:19 PM8/30/08
I have the Same problem I connot open any files from any e-mail accounts, And I cannot download anything as the dialoge window gives me option to save or open goes through the process then nothing. i have noticed that downloads are saves as shorcuts.
I noticed this problem happened only after I removed AVG. I tried downloading AVG but I cant , cause I cant download anything, There are never any error messages or problems, at end of download cyce the window closes and there is nothing there. I think its a registry fault how do I repair my PC? The only time I can open a document is from MSN when I chose the open. Its the only way i can now transfer documents over. PLEASE HELP

Gary VanderMolen

Aug 30, 2008, 1:40:29 PM8/30/08
If you can't download anything, it's not really a Windows Mail problem.
Try resetting Internet Explorer to see if that will allow you to download:
Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, Reset.
If that fails to correct the problem, you may have to reinstall Vista.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

bonnie96

Sep 18, 2008, 12:33:01 AM9/18/08
Did you get an answer to this problem,

cheers karen

Sandy

Oct 20, 2008, 3:38:00 AM10/20/08
I have done the tools, security, clkear "........" etc. Still to no avail.
Getting desplerate to open bills that need paying. pdf shouldn't be that hard
surely????
--
sandyo

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

> Windows Mail is not a replacement for Outlook, it's a replacement for
> Outlook Express.
>
> In Windows Mail go to Tools | Options | security and uncheck the option
> telling it not to allow you to open of save attachments tthat may contain a
> virus.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> Do not send mail.
>
> "Stead" <St...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I meant windows mail, however I keep forgetting that microsoft
> > likes
> > to randomly rename everything from time to time, (love how windows mail
> > and
> > windows calender and windows contacts no longer sync to a wm device as
> > well
> > since upgrading to vista)
> >
> > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

mac

Oct 20, 2008, 10:06:36 AM10/20/08

"Sandy" <Sa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>I have done the tools, security, clkear "........" etc. Still to no avail.
> Getting desplerate to open bills that need paying. pdf shouldn't be that
> hard
> surely????
> --
> sandyo

Why did you tag onto an old thread, start your own next time you have a
problem.

Regards opening .pdf docs, do you have Adobe?

See:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

Gary VanderMolen

Oct 20, 2008, 12:06:53 PM10/20/08
Sandy, I don't see a detailed problem statement from you in this thread.
If you need assistance, please provide details and include a copy of
any error messages.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

SteveTech

Oct 20, 2008, 2:45:02 PM10/20/08
I have a customer with a very similar problem. Unable to open or save
attachments in Windows Mail. When we try to save an attachment we get "There
was an error saving one or more of the attachments. Please check your free
disk space and try again."

Checked disk space - there is 60GB free. Have tried disabling UAC and
Windows Defender with no change. Have also checked and reset security
settings and tried turning off anti-virus. Anti-virus installed is ESET NOD
32.

Any way to fix this besides trying Windows Live Mail or reinstalling Vista?

Gary VanderMolen

Oct 20, 2008, 4:16:02 PM10/20/08
UAC and Windows Defender do not bother Windows Mail. Reinstalling
Vista is pointless because it doesn't change the underlying conditions.
Windows Mail *is* bothered by aggressive/intrusive antivirus programs.
The only sure way to determine if your antivirus is at fault is to do a
trial uninstall (be sure to reboot afterwards).

Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, consider upgrading to Windows

Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly

intrusive antivirus programs: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

rcoppersmith

Dec 4, 2008, 11:37:10 AM12/4/08

Gary, I have same issue on my Vista machine. Outlook opens attachments
of any type. msn hotmail, verizonmail and godaddy's mail will not open
any attachments. gives you the "open" box, appears to run, then
disappears. On my XP machine, no issue.
Attachments did open in msn/godaddy for the first 6 mos or so I owned
the Vista, then just stopped.
I spent hour on phone with tech support, reset explorer, etc (running
explorer beta 8). No change. Tech support gave up.
Removed bitdefender, no difference.
Installed ESET, no difference.
I've tried using both IE and firefox, no difference.
In fact, when I tried to download ESET yesterday, took about 10 tries
and reboots to get it to download, was doing the same thing.
Any help would be great.
Ralph

--
rcoppersmith
rcoppersmith's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/rcoppersmith.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Gary VanderMolen

Dec 4, 2008, 8:51:41 PM12/4/08
I don't see you mention Windows Mail anywhere.
I don't claim any expertise in email issues other than Windows Mail.
Problems with multiple webmail providers are outside the realm of
this newsgroup. I suggest uninstalling the IE8 beta and reverting
back to IE7.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com Jose Carlos

Dec 29, 2008, 9:36:01 AM12/29/08
When I click on the second attachment Windows live mail freezes and windons
Mail close and start again.
You have some suggestion?
thankful .

rober...@bellsouthnospam.net

Dec 29, 2008, 10:03:13 AM12/29/08
Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail are different programs with
similar names. If you want to discuss problems with Windows Live
Mail, newsgroup microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop will
reach more people who actually use Windows Live Mail.

Robert Miles

"Jose Carlos" <Jose Car...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

w.ulrich

Dec 29, 2008, 10:51:46 AM12/29/08

"Jose Carlos" <Jose Car...@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> kan man nicht auch in deutsch schreiben>>

Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com Jose Carlos

Dec 29, 2008, 11:53:01 AM12/29/08
Thank you, but I use IE7,you believe that I should try the IE8?

"w.ulrich" wrote:

> Community Message Not Available

Gary VanderMolen

Dec 29, 2008, 9:46:36 PM12/29/08
There is a known attachments problem caused by a recent update to
Norton antivirus. There may be a newer update that corrects the problem,
so first try updating Norton.

Norton Antivirus users are entitled to a free upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2009,
which cures the problem. Contact Symantec via online chat.

As a last resort, uninstall Norton antivirus and follow up with their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

If you like, we can recommend a more compatible free antivirus.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Gary VanderMolen

Dec 29, 2008, 9:47:47 PM12/29/08
No, IE8 is very buggy, and it causes problems with email programs.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

jurastores

May 7, 2009, 7:13:22 AM5/7/09

Hello, has snyone tried this in Vista: On the desk top....right click on
Internet explorer icon....choose view as Administrator. Give that a go
and see how you get on.

--
jurastores
jurastores's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96923.htm

Gary VanderMolen

May 7, 2009, 3:44:58 PM5/7/09
It is not wise to bypass normal security measures.
For now it is much safer to revert IE8 back to IE7.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

jurastores

May 7, 2009, 4:35:07 PM5/7/09

Whilst I appreciate what you say. This is not an IE8 problem, this is a
Vista problem. If you read all the threads, it starts life as a Vista
issue and IE8 raises it's ugly head further on in the posts.

My suggestion is only a temporary fix, in that everytime you enter IE
you have to alter access rights. The access rights are not saved, even
so I fail to see why you feel the way you do. No one else has been able
to fix this, so if it works, so what. Is this not taking some of the
agnst away from users until they can find a permanent fix?

I don't even know if it will solve the problem but it has worked for me
on similar issues, the other alternative is to stick with XP.

Gary VanderMolen

May 7, 2009, 6:35:29 PM5/7/09
It's not a Vista problem, because the same problem did not exist
prior to the release of IE8. In each instance I have come across,
the problem was resolved by uninstalling IE8. I consider that a
better fix than having to run IE as an administrator each time.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

jurastores

May 7, 2009, 6:25:44 PM5/7/09

Well, that's one person contacted me and said it worked for them!!!!!!!

jurastores

May 7, 2009, 9:45:07 PM5/7/09

Gary, I am sorry but I do not think you know what you are talking
about! Look at the first 14 posts and there is no mention of IE8, they
all mention Vista. Yes the problem did exist before IE8, that is why I
posted the fix. How do you think I knew the fix? Have you tried it?
Does it work? Yes it does, so what is your problem? If you have solved
the problem, how come people are still posting problems? Surely the
point of this blog is to help people, not to try and score points. Just
because you could not solve peoples problem's does not mean no one else
can.

Sometimes people try to be too complicated when there is a simple
solution to the problem. Sometimes people cannot see the wood for the
trees. All people want is a quick solution to thier problem and is it
not proof that my fix works, if someone has already said it does?

If you feel that your skill and knowledge of computers has been
undermined by a mere user, then I am sorry but I thought I was just
helping people.

jurastores

May 8, 2009, 5:35:54 PM5/8/09

Are you a real person or a machine? Do you read what is written? Gary,
there are people having problems here WHO DO NOT have IE8 installed. So
how can uninstalling it help? I REPEAT, there are people here having
problems WHO DO NOT have IE8 installed, please read ALL the posts. Your
suggestions are of no use to them and you do not even address the
problems as stated.
I, in no way wish to offend you but it is the people with IE7 that I am
trying to help.
I do not see how security is a concern because by following my
suggestion, all a person is doing, is creating an environment that
exists in all previous versions of Windows and even then, only
temporarily, whilst logged onto IE in the manner I suggest.
Please excuse my spelling.

Gary VanderMolen

May 8, 2009, 6:40:36 PM5/8/09
First of all, it is customary in newsgroups to quote the post you
are replying to. It provides continuity, and is helpful to those
like myself who use a NNTP news reader.

I assure you that I read 100% of all the messages posted here.
There may well be a small subset of users with issues similar
to the one being discussed here but do not have IE8 installed.
I don't recall that you previously restricted your advice to IE7 users.
I expect IE7 users to advise me of their particular circumstances,
and I will tailor my response accordingly.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

jurastores

May 8, 2009, 7:55:07 PM5/8/09

Gary, if this continues, it will become a personal thing between you and
I. I do not wish this, I only wanted to help people who had a problem
that, I felt, I could solve.
Your first post was after 5 other posts about the problem. Your post
did not solve the problem.
The first mention of IE8 is in post 10 so why are you harping on about
IE8? When that was clearly NOT the start of this thread?
This is, regardless of what you say, a Vista problem and you eluded to
it in your first post but did not give a fix.
At the end of the day, I thought this was all about helping people, not
'one upmanship'! If what I suggested does not work, then fine, ignore
it but if it does, then all well and good!
I did not expect someone to come along and criticise a suggestion that
could help. If, everytime I make a suggestion, that may help someone, I
am slated. Whats the point? I may as well just keep quite, read the
posts, laugh and think to myself (I could solve that) and carry on
regardless.
It seems to me that you think that you are the only one with a fix!
In fact, I am so upset that you have done nothing but slate my advice,
I am going to log out and never come here again.
Good Bye cruel world.
NEVER TO RETURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

May 8, 2009, 8:26:28 PM5/8/09
Goodbye, drama queen.

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 8, 2009, 8:29:46 PM5/8/09
<plonk>

Rainald Taesler

May 10, 2009, 8:48:23 PM5/10/09
jurastores wrote:
> Hello, has snyone tried this in Vista: On the desk top....right click
> on Internet explorer icon....choose view as Administrator. Give that
> a go and see how you get on.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I tried it.
No, it does NOT really help.

It does just avoid the problem with some types if files.
The situation with JPGs and TXTs, however, remains the same.

Rainald

walf0721

Aug 11, 2009, 2:17:58 AM8/11/09

I have just SOLVED a similar issue about Windows Mail (Cannot open &
save attachment).

I found the root cause is that Windows Mail will load a 3rd party DLL
file when opening. And the DLL file is a malware.

After cleaning up that file, the Windows Mail works without any
problem.

If you encounter this issue, you can try to do these steps to find out
if there have any 3rd party DLL file is loaded into Windows Mail.

1. Download Process Explorer
http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

2.Extract and run ProcExp.exe and Open Windows Mail

3.Navigate to "View" -> "Lower Pane View" -> Click "DLLs"

4.Navigate to "View" -> Click "Show Lower Pane"

5.Find the WinMail.exe in the upper pane

6.In the Lower Pane, you will find many DLLs. You can try to find out
if any 3rd Party(not Microsoft or blank) DLLs show there.

7.If you find, For example 1.dll , you can google it to find its path
or what application does it belong to. Then try to uninstall that
application or delete that DLL file.

8.restart the computer and test the Windows Mail is worked or not.

I hope this post will help you who experience the issue.

Thanks

Best Regards
Vincent Lin

--