Windows Mail Export Error (MAPI)

ghowriter

Mar 5, 2009, 3:24:47 PM3/5/09

I have been reading these forums trying to find out why I am getting a
MAPI initialization error when I try to export the messages in Windows
Mail to Exchange. There is no option to export to Outlook which would be
preferred, but Outlook is compatible so I choose this exchange and get
the error. A lot of people are getting this error and most of the time
it is because they don't have Outlook installed. I do. I have Office
2003 Professional installed. Could this error be caused by my already
having set up my email account - could Windows Mail be trying to use the
same name for the .pst folder that outlook uses? Before anyone asks, my
Outlook is functioning perfectly. I am doing this for a customer who
mistakenly upgraded their computer to Vista when it didn't meet the
minimum specs and I have reverted them back to XP. Now they cannot
access any of their email and I need to remedy this. I have their email
messages imported to one of my Vista systems and trying to export them
isn't working. Any help would be appreciated.

--
ghowriter

Steve Cochran

Mar 7, 2009, 8:25:09 AM3/7/09
If you have the messages as eml files, then you can just drag them from
Explorer and drop them into OE folders in XP. Then you can export from OE
to Outlook or Exchange if you wish.

steve

"ghowriter" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

Gus

Jul 25, 2009, 11:21:01 PM7/25/09
Steve,
I am having the same issue as ghowriter, but Im not advanced enough to
follow your instructions. Im having trouble finding the Win Mail file
location and outlook. Do you have any more details on your response below?
Im using Windows Vista. Thanks

Chowdog

Aug 17, 2009, 12:00:27 PM8/17/09
> > > ghowriter- Hide quoted text -

I had the same problem. I installed Windows Live with the option to
only install the Mail component. Once you install it and run it,
Windows Live Mail will import the Windows Mail automatically. Once
that is complete, hit the 'alt' tab on your keyboard to view the
standard toolbar bar. Click on 'File --> Export --> Messages' and
then follow the same procedure as Windows Mail. It worked for me.

Steve Cochran

Aug 18, 2009, 10:45:39 AM8/18/09
On the Vista machine search for *.eml. They should be in a directory such
as C:\Users\Username\AppData\Microsoft\Windows Mail and then in local
folders matching the mailboxes. See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx for details.

Copy them to the XP machine and then create a new folder such as
oldsentitems in OE and open it so it shows an empty message list. Open the
old sent items folder from Vista and select an eml file and drag it overtop
the empty OE folder message list and drop it. You will see it gets
incorporated into the folder. Once you get it working, you can drag all the
eml files at once and drop them as long as they are only eml files that you
are dragging and dropping. My OEX program (www.oehelp.com/OEX/) will let
you do this import from a directory with a single button click instead.

steve

"Chowdog" <roger....@gmail.com> wrote in message