Cannot Extract to hard drive

Brew

Jan 31, 2007, 3:34:00 AM1/31/07
This is the message I get when trying to run the setup with the digital
locker...

Cannot extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure that
you can create files and folders in the same folder where VistaSetUpPrep.exe
was downloaded.

Any suggestions??

Kp

Jan 31, 2007, 6:13:00 AM1/31/07
I get the same error. I tried to create a backup disk and it does not see
the disk in the dvd burner. Someone please help us!

mooncast

Jan 31, 2007, 6:45:01 AM1/31/07

JS

Jan 31, 2007, 10:25:01 PM1/31/07
Same problem here. I sent MS an e-mail asking for help on it, but I don't
have high hopes.

Pipedream24

Feb 1, 2007, 9:16:01 AM2/1/07

Pipedream24

Feb 1, 2007, 9:17:01 AM2/1/07

I've got the exact same problem. Hopefully they will respond soon with an
answer.

dabear

Feb 1, 2007, 6:51:48 PM2/1/07

I'm havin the same error

'Screenshot' (http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9796/errorke8.gif)

I download Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit using Digital Locker.
Using XP Home SP2

--
dabear
dabear's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21552

http://forums.techarena.in

Pipedream24

Feb 2, 2007, 9:20:02 AM2/2/07
I downloaded the same version. I called Microsoft and they stated it was a
problem with the service from which I downloaded it; so I should contact
them. I called Circuit City they said there was nothing they can do. I need
to contact Digital Locker but the only take support request via email. So I
emailed Digital Locker and still have not received a response. I've decided
I'm going to do an electronic return and just purchase the disc. Hope
everyone gets a solution to this. Good Luck.

toasinger

Feb 3, 2007, 1:44:01 AM2/3/07
Hey I actually work in microsoft tech support and I'm really interested in
getting this issue resolved. Is anyone online right now with this problem so
that maybe we can try troubleshooting a few ideas?

Brew

Feb 3, 2007, 4:33:00 AM2/3/07
Any ideas you can throw out there, so we can try em?

toasinger

Feb 3, 2007, 11:14:01 AM2/3/07
Well I have been reading this from it's blogspot:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmarketplace/

After all of the files are downloaded, you can launch VistaSetupPrep.exe (or
simply click the "Install" button in the digital locker assistant).
VistaSetupPrep.exe then extracts the 500+ files compressed inside it and
links the .wim files into into a folder called "Vista". The end result is
that the Vista folder is a replica of the Windows Vista DVD. Before
VistaSetupPrep.exe exits, it launches the setup.exe in the Vista folder and
Windows Vista setup starts, just like if you had launched it from DVD.

and the error message :

Cannot extract Windows Vista Setup to your hard drive. Please ensure that
you can create files and folders in the same folder where VistaSetUpPrep.exe
was downloaded.

- So one of the first things i've been trying to have people do is turn off
the read-only access within the folder... I'd also like to check if you have
read-only selected on any of the 3 files themselves and try turning it off
for them as well. Can you create a new file in that folder like a new text
file as a test?

-Also has everyone with this error downloaded it through the browser option?
or has this been downloaded using the digital locker assistant? Have you
tried running the install within the digital locker assistant? Rather than
just double clicking the .exe?

- I know that with vista there's a lot of work that went into DRM or Digital
Rights Management. Now with cell phones when you put an mp3 on an sd card you
are not able to use that mp3 as a ring tune. However, if you were to get the
digital rights packager from the distrubter's site adding DRM forward locking
and putting that file on your phone allows you to use it as a ring tune. I
believe we're running into this error because when downloading through the
browser you do not have the DRM encryption. That it cannot be read as a "ring
tune" or whatever if that makes sense? However, if you have all downloaded
this through the digital locker assistant and you get the error when trying
ti install it from within that... i guess that would throw that idea out the
window.

j...@thewho.org

Feb 3, 2007, 11:44:04 AM2/3/07
I notice that although you do get an error, a folder called Vista is
created and appears to have all the files in it. I am burning the
contents of that folder to a DVD and will see if that can be booted.

Joe

j...@thewho.org

Feb 3, 2007, 12:06:45 PM2/3/07
I went into the Profile part of the web page and changed my settings
to "Use g=digital locker assistant." It's now downloading again. Let's
see if that works.

Joe

Kiko...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2007, 12:46:52 PM2/3/07

I downloaded Vista from Windows Market place using Firefox Download
Manager and it worked perfectly on my desktop. but when I go to
extract the files on my laptop, I get the same error message that you
have been getting. So I tried burning the Vista folder (created after
running the prep file) on a DVD and rebooting, but my laptop doesnt
seen to detect the installation files on the DVD. Let me know if this
option worked for you, Thank You

j...@thewho.org

Feb 3, 2007, 2:11:08 PM2/3/07

Didn't work. I'm currently downloading it again with Digital Locker
Assistant.

Joe

toasinger

Feb 3, 2007, 9:45:00 PM2/3/07
Alright so what's the update???

Successful create new text file in the folder?
successful install upon redownloading using digital locker assistant?
were the 3 files also marked as read only?

copyboy

Feb 4, 2007, 9:14:00 AM2/4/07
After 4 days of downloading, I got the same error. There are more posts in
this thread than any other Vista installation thread so I do hope you'll put
some effort into fixing this quickly Microsoft.

copyboy

Feb 5, 2007, 5:32:00 AM2/5/07
Hi Toasinger,

Do you want to add me to MSN? I will troubleshoot the problem with you. I'm
in China with slow internet access. It took 4 days to download this file. I'm
not up for doing it again. I really want to get it solved now please.

David

copyboy

Feb 5, 2007, 8:03:01 AM2/5/07
I tried everything you said. Nothing worked. Same error message.

jalba

Feb 5, 2007, 9:13:49 AM2/5/07
I think I'm the dude the dude from microsoft was trying to help. It
certainly seems no official resolution has been reached. Has anyone else
tried burning the file to DVD and installing? The Digital Locker Assistant
Website states the files aren't able to be installed that way but was
wondering if anyone had a way around that? Will keep checking. With so many
people having the same issue some solution is bound to come up.

copyboy wrote:
>Hi Toasinger,
>
>Do you want to add me to MSN? I will troubleshoot the problem with you. I'm
>in China with slow internet access. It took 4 days to download this file. I'm
>not up for doing it again. I really want to get it solved now please.
>
>David

copyboy

Feb 5, 2007, 1:58:01 PM2/5/07
Microsoft Guy are you here? Though we've all paid for Microsoft Vista, we're
unable to ask Microsoft support a question without paying $59 because we
can't register or install the software. Having paid money makes us customers
right? Can you come back and reply please?

toasinger

Feb 5, 2007, 6:38:01 PM2/5/07
The first 3 months of consumer based support are free unless you are running
commercially. I just got off the phone with someone who had this issue and
upon redownloading using the digital locker assistant and running the install
from within that program itself rather than trying to run it from the
execute. His install was successful. Hopefully this will work for the rest of
you!!!

copyboy

Feb 5, 2007, 7:02:00 PM2/5/07
Many of us have re-downloaded using Digital Locker. I'm now on my 3rd
re-download. Each time I have tried to install using the digital locker
program and by opening the .exe file directly. Each time I have unchecked
read-only moved the files to different folders, etc. Nothing has worked.

By the way, we don't have access to product support. I have a license key,
but since I can't install Vista I don't have a Product Identification Number.
Without a PIN, I can't bother your customer service people unless I pay US$59.

peaster

Feb 5, 2007, 10:09:37 PM2/5/07

toasinger, in your earlier post, you state:

After all of the files are downloaded, you can launch
VistaSetupPrep.exe (or
simply click the "Install" button in the digital locker assistant).
VistaSetupPrep.exe then extracts the 500+ files compressed inside it
and
links the .wim files into into a folder called "Vista". The end result
is
that the Vista folder is a replica of the Windows Vista DVD. Before
VistaSetupPrep.exe exits, it launches the setup.exe in the Vista folder
and
Windows Vista setup starts, just like if you had launched it from DVD.

When I run setup.exe, I get "setup.exe is not a valid Win32
applictaion."

This tells me it is a 64bit app and my system needs to boot with a
64bit loader.

Also, the autorun.inf is loading sperr32.exe x64

Try to run this file and I get "setup can not run on this version of
the Operating System"

So, i can only conclude that downloading Vista 64 and trying to install
it on XP is not an option. Some kind of boot needs to be created.

And, it looks like this problem is still unresolved.

--
peaster
peaster's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1387

toasinger

Feb 6, 2007, 2:51:01 AM2/6/07
Well.... I'm a tech support agent... I don't deal with any entitlements.. I
just get problems coming in that i try to fix... now i know a lot of our
calls are about the initial setup which would not yet yield a PID either.
Have you ever tried asking them to activate your windows copy over the phone
or something i'm not too sure about how to help you with that or explaining
it to them the way you explained it to me?

as for the 64bit update question. www.windowsvista.com check out upgrade
paths... 64 bits are not capable of upgrade installs ever even from 64 o/s
unless from a 64 bit version of vista to another edition... and especially
not from 32 bit as they are different architectures... hopefully you have 64
bit capable hardware as well. You're going to need to do a clean install but
you can't get the install to run soo really i dont know.. any particular
reason why you chose to download vista rather than just get a hardcopy in the
store? it's a lot easier in regards to functionality and you have the disc
for your WinRE recovery options as well.

copyboy

Feb 6, 2007, 4:16:00 AM2/6/07
Hi Toasinger,

As for my choice to download, I live in China and Windows Vista English is
not available here yet.

In a month or so, I'm sure illegal copies will be available on the street
for 20 rmb. But I prefer to purchase software because I know it will work
smoothly and there's the benefit of customer support.

When you pay for software and there's a problem, you know that customer
support will work diligently to fix the problem. I think that's how it
supposed to work, right?

Actually, I appreciate that you've given some time to this. But my sense is
that this problem isn't big enough to register on Microsoft's radar map. Is
there any chance to elevate this problem as many people are also experiencing
the same problem?

Regards,

David

copyboy

Feb 6, 2007, 9:24:01 AM2/6/07
Here's a guess if someone wants to try...

Apparently Windows Vista uses a compression format not supported on Windows
XP...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/ae0175c2-206f-4ef9-b1b5-34026a1bbee81033.mspx?mfr=true

Windows Vista uses Intra-Package Delta (IPD) compression technology to
reduce the size of packages. If you do not use a compression tool that
supports IPD to extract the update, the extracted files will look similar to
the following output:

_manifest_.cix.xml
0
1
2

This behavior occurs if both of the following conditions exist:

• You did not use Expand.exe from the Windows OPK to open the Windows Vista
update.

• The update utilizes Intra-Package Delta (IPD) compression technology.

Expand.exe for Windows Vista supports expanding files in IPD-compressed
updates for inspection. You must use the Expand.exe version released with the
Windows OPK or the Windows Vista operating system. Prior versions of
Expand.exe do not support extracting IPD-compressed data.

Expand.exe is installed with the Windows OPK or the Windows AIK for use in
earlier versions of Windows. Expand.exe is also available in Windows Vista

So if someone wants to download Windows Automated Installation Kit, burn it
to a DVD and try it might be worth a shot. Unfortunately, I'm still in China
and the 993MB Windows AIK will take two days to download.

The link is here if you want to try.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c7d4bc6d-15f3-4284-9123-679830d629f2&displaylang=en

If you are successful, it means Microsoft has compressed a file meant for
Windows XP using Windows Vista technology and they are possibly the dumbest
company on the planet.

toasinger

Feb 7, 2007, 3:09:01 AM2/7/07
That paragraph paraphrases what was in that blog. Now what I believe you
would have to do is be running an existing 64 bit version of xp. From there
you could do a clean install.

I have solved more cases regarding the cannot extract issue. ANother
variable has been that the download ends prematurely. A customer had a
problem with his first download any reaching 1gb and upon redownloading he
had something closer to 2.4gb and it worked fine for him.

We'll have to get the byte size of a successful file set up posted on here.

copyboy

Feb 7, 2007, 5:14:01 AM2/7/07
Then would you please tell Microsoft that the Windows Marketplace upgrade
Options Tool is flawed. It says upgrading Windows will work with my current
32-bit operating system.

Rob Mensching

Feb 7, 2007, 8:28:01 AM2/7/07
The Windows Marketplace upgrade options tool only links off to 32-bit
operating systems. Unfortunately, the tool does not do a good job
displaying that it is only talking about 32-bit upgrades and not 64-bit
upgrades. I'll take that feedback in with me when I go to work this
morning.

Honestly, I have been surprised by the interest in 64-bit installs.

Unfortunatley, Windows Marketplace does not offer a Windows Vista SKU that
can upgrade from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Vista. You need to be running
a 64-bit operating system (such as Windows XP 64-bit) to upgrade to Windows
Vista 64-bit if purchasing from Windows Marketplace. We tried to capture
that at the top of the 64-bit show case page:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=396&tabid=1.

Also, the downloaded package from Windows Marketplace does not provide a
good error message when attempting to upgrade a 32-bit OS to 64-bit Vista.
As others have pointed out on this thread, I captured the diagnosis of the
problem on my blog here:
http://robmensching.com/blog/archive/2007/02/04/The-Windows-Vista-64bit-upgrade-from-Windows-Marketplace-requires-a.aspx
(cross posted here since my blog has been having issues lately:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmarketplace/archive/2007/02/07/the-windows-vista-64-bit-upgrade-from-windows-marketplace-requires-a-64-bit-operating-system.aspx).

virtually,

Rob Mensching
Windows Marketplace Development
http://robmensching.com/blog
http://wix.sourceforge.net

Also,

"copyboy" <cop...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

copyboy

Feb 7, 2007, 10:44:02 AM2/7/07
Then I'll just buy the 20 rmb version when it's available on the street here
in China. It usually works and the customer service is much better.

Johnmeyer_1984

Feb 13, 2007, 5:25:09 PM2/13/07

The problem is indeed a 64bit problem.

When you run the installer you will notice that it creates a directory
called "Vista" that includes all the files necessary. However, trying
to start setup.exe or any file for that matter from this directory will
result in a "XYZ is not a valid Win32 application".

If you can live with a clean install this is what you can do (and what
I did).

Backup all your files you want to keep. Go to the Microsoft website and
download the Windows XP Pro x64 Trial here:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...c-515a0d152415

You will have to go through the short registration process and then it
will let you download the trial as iso image.

After the download burn two CDs. XP Pro x64 on one, and the files
located in the "Vista" Folder created before you receive the
VistaSetupPrep.exe error message. It is usually created in the same
folder the X14-blabla files were located. Obviously you'll need a DVD.

After doing so, install XP Pro x64. You can only do a clean install
unfortunately. After x64 is installed, don't bother with any drivers or
something but pop in the DVD you have burned with the Vista files.

Setup will start and you are on your way to Vista.

Voila!

I know the clean install sux and having to go through the additional
download of x64 is annoying. However, it's only 577 MB, so its
bearable. Maybe there are more elegant solutions, i.e. booting from a
x64 boot CD or something, but I found this avenue less annoying than
starting to delve into the net for a x64 boot. I thought it might work
by just booting to the command prompt of the x64 CD but it didn't, at
least not on my Presario laptop.

BTW, love Vista. After installing I was really apeaced after the big
frustration of the non-working installer, and for those who wonder, I
have not gotten any activation problems whatsoever. After installing
Vista and activating it I have set the system clock to next year, it
worked fine.

Have fun

--
Johnmeyer_1984
Johnmeyer_1984's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22072

kothar64

May 29, 2007, 8:03:38 AM5/29/07

The best thing is not to download, but to purchase from a retail holder,
where you bought the PC, My Vista bought from a retailer who also
installed that in my system, is working splendidly !

--
kothar64
kothar64's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26128

kothandaraman

May 29, 2007, 9:16:31 AM5/29/07

I prefer not to download any OS,
Operating is a software which controls your system, You must be with
most care to handle that,
All my Windows products are only through shipping,
Shipping may be a good idea for purchasing vista which wont cause you
any error !

--
kothandaraman
kothandaraman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26131

sbatherebel

Jan 13, 2008, 11:33:44 PM1/13/08

--
sbatherebel
sbatherebel's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=39551

spookidiga

Oct 4, 2008, 11:35:18 PM10/4/08

student and I paid only $65 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. I would have
to pay much more than that in the store.

What's really annoying is the fact that I ran the Vista Upgrade advisor
before installing the software, and it said that everything would
install fine.

--
spookidiga
spookidiga's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/spookidiga.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

Oct 5, 2008, 1:31:01 AM10/5/08
So, what is your question?
--
Mad Mike

Mumthaz Muhsin

May 13, 2010, 7:28:21 AM5/13/10

This is regarding i had got an installation disk of above title to my
windows 7 enterprise 32 bit system (ie:Run sperr32.exe)x64 .But it says
you cannot run the programme and you need to reboot the system and click
custom(advanced).i did in reboot but still could not open the
installation disk.

please let me know the remedy for this problem.

Mumthaz Muhsin
mumthaz...@gmail.com
phone:0094773420352

--