installing WSUS on 2008 R2 : The binaries are downloaded during the installation ?

Eric

Oct 27, 2009, 10:08:36 AM10/27/09
Hello,

I have a 2008 R2 computer and I want to install WSUS.
I have read that on 2008 R2 we do not need to download the WSUS
binaries as they are integrated to the OS binaries but...

when I click on the installation role for WSUS, the installation failed
with the error "The update could not be found" as the server is not
able to connect to internet.

My question is : Windows 2008 R2 has to download the source from the
internet ? I dont have read anything about this need. (For 2008, I know
I have to, but for 2008 R2 ?)

Thanks

--
Eric

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 27, 2009, 3:41:03 PM10/27/09
"Eric" <Eri...@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> I have a 2008 R2 computer and I want to install WSUS.
> I have read that on 2008 R2 we do not need to download the WSUS binaries
> as they are integrated to the OS binaries but...

You've misread that a bit, technically speaking, but I believe I understand
the basic point you're making.

> when I click on the installation role for WSUS, the installation failed
> with the error "The update could not be found" as the server is not able
> to connect to internet.

And there it is! The binary are not *integrated* to the OS, they are
*downloadable* from Microsoft Update.

Installing WSUS as a role on Windows Server 2008 R2 requires an Internet
connection.
Shucks, *running* WSUS pretty much requires one too, so it's not really so
far fetched to expect a machine destined to be a WSUS Server has an active
Internet connection.

> My question is : Windows 2008 R2 has to download the source from the
> internet ? I dont have read anything about this need. (For 2008, I know I
> have to, but for 2008 R2 ?)

That's what KB972493 is - the Dynamic Installer for Windows Server Update
Services v3.0 SP2.

There are two ways to install WSUS3SP2 on Windows Server 2008 R2:
1. Configure the Win2008R2 to synchronize from a WSUS Server and approve
KB972493 on the WSUS Server.
2. Connect the server to the Internet and download the Dynamic Installer via
MU.

The installation methodology for WSUS3SP2 as a role on Windows Server 2008
R2 is *identical* to the installation methodology for WSUS3SP1 as a role on
Windows Server 2008 (RTM).

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

Eric

Oct 29, 2009, 11:08:17 AM10/29/09
Thank you for your answer Lawrence.

1. Please could you tell me what is the difference between the dynamic
installer you have mentionned (KB972493) and this download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=a206ae20-2695-436c-9578-3403a7d46e40&displaylang=en
(offline file).

2. I have another question as I like to understand what I did. Do you
know if is is possible from an R2 server to click on "Install WSUS
Server Role" and to copy manually the offline file downloaded from my
link above? Thanks to that I would be able install WSUS without
Internet connection needs.

Thanks

--
Eric

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Oct 29, 2009, 2:01:04 PM10/29/09

> 1. Please could you tell me what is the difference between the dynamic
> installer you have mentionned (KB972493) and this download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=a206ae20-2695-436c-9578-3403a7d46e40&displaylang=en
> (offline file).

The Dynamic Installer can only be used to install WSUS as a Role with the
WSUS console integrated into Server Manager on Windows Server 2008 systems.
This requires either Win2008R2, Win2008SP2, or Win2008RTM *WITH* KB940518
installed.

The download link you cited is for the standalone WSUS3SP2 installer, which
is used to install or upgrade WSUS when installed as an application. On
Window Server 2003, this is the only methdology available to install or
upgrade WSUS.

> 2. I have another question as I like to understand what I did. Do you know
> if is is possible from an R2 server to click on "Install WSUS Server Role"
> and to copy manually the offline file downloaded from my link above?

As far as I know, it is not possible. The standalone installer can be
downloaded via IE from the Microsoft Download Center (the link you cited),
you can upgrade an existing WSUS3SP1 installation on Win2003/Win2008RTM from
Microsoft Update, or it can be deployed to an existing WSUS3SP1 installation
on Win2003/Win2008RTM from another WSUS server.

> Thanks to that I would be able install WSUS without Internet connection
> needs.

I'm still trying to grasp this scenario in which you need to install WSUS
without an Internet connection. Even if you get it installed, how are you
going to make use of it? For that non-connected WSUS Server to be
functional you're going to need access to another connected WSUS server to
get metadata and content for it, or else eventually connect it to the
Internet.

But, in short, installing WSUS3SP2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 system as a
role with Server Manager integration requires either access to the Internet
(Microsoft Update) or access to a WSUS Server with KB972493 approved for
installation.

Presumably you can still use the standalone installer to install WSUS3SP2 as
an *application* on Windows Server 2008 R2, but I've not actually tried
that, so this is mere speculation. Even if you could, I'm not sure how you
would convert it from an application installation to a role. On Win2008RTM
this was achieved by installing KB950418, but KB950418 was included in
Win2008SP2 and Win2008R2, so the 'conversion' mechanism is already baked in.

If you really need to install WSUS3SP2 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine
that has no connectivity, this is the only possible choice that could exist,
though.

Eric

Oct 30, 2009, 6:43:13 AM10/30/09
Thanks a lot Lawrence.