Internal Database errors

Kerry Hoskin

Jun 25, 2007, 9:01:23 AM6/25/07
I've had some Windows Internal Database problems with WSUS3! I did a
reinstall which seemed to fix things until I rebooted the server today when
the problem has retuned again.

I get errors with the Internal Database, it fails to start, the first error
is Event ID17053

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17053
Date: 25/06/2007
Time: 12:52:24
User: N/A
Computer: ALDERNEY
UpdateUptimeRegKey: Operating system error 5(error not found) encountered.

Data:
0000: 9d 42 00 00 10 00 00 00 ťB......
0008: 19 00 00 00 41 00 4c 00 ....A.L.
0010: 44 00 45 00 52 00 4e 00 D.E.R.N.
0018: 45 00 59 00 5c 00 4d 00 E.Y.\.M.
0020: 49 00 43 00 52 00 4f 00 I.C.R.O.
0028: 53 00 4f 00 46 00 54 00 S.O.F.T.
0030: 23 00 23 00 53 00 53 00 #.#.S.S.
0038: 45 00 45 00 00 00 00 00 E.E.....
0040: 00 00 ..

followed by a host of

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17049
Date: 25/06/2007
Time: 12:52:49
User: N/A
Computer: ALDERNEY
Unable to cycle error log file from
'C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG' to
'C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG.1' due to OS error
'5(error not found)'. A process outside of SQL Server may be preventing SQL
Server from reading the files. As a result, errorlog entries may be lost and
it may not be possible to view some SQL Server errorlogs. Make sure no other
processes have locked the file with write-only access."

Data:
0000: 99 42 00 00 10 00 00 00 TB......
0008: 19 00 00 00 41 00 4c 00 ....A.L.
0010: 44 00 45 00 52 00 4e 00 D.E.R.N.
0018: 45 00 59 00 5c 00 4d 00 E.Y.\.M.
0020: 49 00 43 00 52 00 4f 00 I.C.R.O.
0028: 53 00 4f 00 46 00 54 00 S.O.F.T.
0030: 23 00 23 00 53 00 53 00 #.#.S.S.
0038: 45 00 45 00 00 00 00 00 E.E.....
0040: 00 00 ..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17207
Date: 25/06/2007
Time: 12:52:50
User: N/A
Computer: ALDERNEY
FCB::Open: Operating system error 5(error not found) occurred while creating
or opening file 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf'.
Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

Data:
0000: 37 43 00 00 10 00 00 00 7C......
0008: 19 00 00 00 41 00 4c 00 ....A.L.
0010: 44 00 45 00 52 00 4e 00 D.E.R.N.
0018: 45 00 59 00 5c 00 4d 00 E.Y.\.M.
0020: 49 00 43 00 52 00 4f 00 I.C.R.O.
0028: 53 00 4f 00 46 00 54 00 S.O.F.T.
0030: 23 00 23 00 53 00 53 00 #.#.S.S.
0038: 45 00 45 00 00 00 00 00 E.E.....
0040: 00 00 ..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17204
Date: 25/06/2007
Time: 12:52:50
User: N/A
Computer: ALDERNEY
FCB::Open failed: Could not open file
C:\WINDOWS\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf for file number 1.
OS error: 5(error not found).

Data:
0000: 34 43 00 00 10 00 00 00 4C......
0008: 19 00 00 00 41 00 4c 00 ....A.L.
0010: 44 00 45 00 52 00 4e 00 D.E.R.N.
0018: 45 00 59 00 5c 00 4d 00 E.Y.\.M.
0020: 49 00 43 00 52 00 4f 00 I.C.R.O.
0028: 53 00 4f 00 46 00 54 00 S.O.F.T.
0030: 23 00 23 00 53 00 53 00 #.#.S.S.
0038: 45 00 45 00 00 00 00 00 E.E.....
0040: 00 00 ..

I also get the following logged every few minutes

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: Web Event
Event ID: 1309
Date: 25/06/2007
Time: 13:12:02
User: N/A
Computer: ALDERNEY
Event code: 3001
Event message: The request has been aborted.
Event time: 6/25/2007 1:12:02 PM
Event time (UTC): 6/25/2007 12:12:02 PM
Event ID: 448a487d54af4125a947f14e67c069a0
Event sequence: 71
Event occurrence: 22
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain:
/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/ClientWebService-1-128272460271557200
Trust level: Full
Application Virtual Path: /ClientWebService
Application Path: C:\Program Files\Update
Services\WebServices\ClientWebService\
Machine name: ALDERNEY

Process information:
Process ID: 4080
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
Exception type: HttpException
Exception message: Request timed out.

Request information:
Request URL: http://alderney/ClientWebService/client.asmx
Request path: /ClientWebService/client.asmx
User host address: 192.171.161.84
User:
Is authenticated: False
Authentication Type:
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
Thread ID: 24
Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace:

Custom event details:

The server also hosts an instance of SQL2005 Express used by our antivirus.

Cheers

Kerry