VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072efd

Smith@discussions.microsoft.com Milt Smith

Nov 1, 2007, 11:49:00 AM11/1/07
I upgraded from WSUS 3.0 Beta 2 to WSUS 3.0 Version 1. Synchronization
worked fine but I have no computers in WSUS. When I run ClientDiag WSUS
Client Diagnostic Tool on the WSUS server, I get the above error. My server
is a Windows 2003 Service Pack 2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Milt Smith

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Nov 1, 2007, 7:12:31 PM11/1/07
"Milt Smith" <Milt Sm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I upgraded from WSUS 3.0 Beta 2 to WSUS 3.0 Version 1.

Technically you didn't. Upgrading from the beta product to the release
product was not a supported activity -- in fact, it was impossible to do.

At best, you uninstalled WSUS 3.0 Beta 2 and installed a *fresh* WSUS 3.0
RTM.

> Synchronization
> worked fine but I have no computers in WSUS. When I run ClientDiag WSUS
> Client Diagnostic Tool on the WSUS server, I get the above error. My
> server
> is a Windows 2003 Service Pack 2.

> Re: VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072efd

0x80072efd is an INTERNET CANNOT CONNECT error, and basically it means the
WSUS website is not responding to the webservice requests from the client.
The client logs the '2efd' error when it gets *NO* response from the
destination webserver, or any resource (i.e. proxy server) in between.

Since you ran the CDT on the WSUS Server itself, then I'd guess that either
the WWW service is shutdown, the website is stopped, or you have configured
an incorrect URL in the policy used to configure your WSUS server.

Let's start by posting ALL of the output from the CDT run on the WSUS3
server.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCTS, MCP
MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2007)

Milt Smith

Nov 2, 2007, 8:12:02 AM11/2/07
Lawrence,

Thanks for the quick response. Here are the result of running the Client
Diagnostic Tool on the WSUS server.

WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool

Checking Machine State
Checking for admin rights to run tool . . . . . . . . . PASS
Automatic Updates Service is running. . . . . . . . . . PASS
Background Intelligent Transfer Service is running. . . PASS
Wuaueng.dll version 7.0.5451.90 . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
This version is WSUS 2.0

Checking AU Settings
AU Option is 3 : Notify Prior to Install. . . . . . . . PASS
Option is from Policy settings

Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type
<Direct Connection>
Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE ProxyByPass. . . . . . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy . . . . . . . . . NONE
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect not in use

Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server
WUServer = http://2003R2TEST:8530
WUStatusServer = http://2003R2TEST:8530
UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS

VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072efd

A connection with the server could not be established

Press Enter to Complete

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Nov 2, 2007, 2:52:25 PM11/2/07
"Milt Smith" <Milt...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for the quick response. Here are the result of running the Client
> Diagnostic Tool on the WSUS server.

> Checking Connection to WSUS/SUS Server

> WUServer = http://2003R2TEST:8530
> WUStatusServer = http://2003R2TEST:8530
> UseWuServer is enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
>
> VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072efd
>
> A connection with the server could not be established

This is the point at which the CDT attempts to initiate an actual GET
request to the WSUS Server. If you were receiving a '401' or '404' error
from the web server, it would be relevant as to exactly which resources the
CDT is attempting to contact, but in this case it's not, so I'll spare you
those pedantic details (for the moment).

Essentially what is happening here is that IIS is not responding to the GET
request.

This is almost always due to some failure in the network infrastructure
between the AU client and WSUS.

These are the most likely causes (not in any order of probability), given
that this test was performed on the SBS 2003 server:
[a] IIS is not running.
[b] The Default Web Site is stopped.
[c] IIS is configured to use host headers and "2003R2TEST" is not
configured on the Default Web Site.
[d] IIS is configured to use specific IP Addresses and the IP Address
configured in DNS for "2003R2TEST" is not configured in IIS.
[e] DNS does not have an entry for "2003R2TEST".
[f] DNS is returning an incorrect IP Address for "2003R2TEST".
[g] The SBS server is trying to route this request to a resource outside
of the SBS2003 server, that's not responding.

Milt Smith

Nov 5, 2007, 8:30:01 AM11/5/07
Lawrence,

It worked fine when I was running WSUS 3 Beta 2. I than un-installed the
Beta and installed Version 1. Should I try another uninstall & re-install? or
is there something in IIS that I can check?

Thanks,

Milt Smith

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Nov 9, 2007, 12:18:53 AM11/9/07

> Lawrence,
>
> It worked fine when I was running WSUS 3 Beta 2. I than un-installed the
> Beta and installed Version 1. Should I try another uninstall & re-install?
> or
> is there something in IIS that I can check?

There's nothing in IIS you can check.. .except to review the logs and
confirm that IIS is not seeing any requests from the client at all.

0x80072EFD means "IIS did not respond to my web service request".

It's highly unlikely that uninstalling Beta2 and installing the RTM did
anything to introduce a '2efd' error.

What's most likely under these circumstances is that the DNS entry is
defective or nonexistent, and the WUA/CDT cannot properly resolve the
configured hostname in the WSUS URL There are very few other
"infrastructure" options, given that the CDT is running on the same physical
box as the WSUS services.

To evaluate a possible DNS failure vs an IIS/webservice failure, try
accessing resources from Internet Explorer on the SBS2003 console.

A list of seven URLs that you should be able to access from IE are:
http://wsusservername/iuident.cab
http://wsusservername/selfupdate/iuident.cab
http://wsusservername/clientwebservice/wusserverversion.xml

http://wsusservername:8530/iuident.cab
http://wsusservername:8530/selfupdate/iuident.cab
http://wsusservername:8530/clientwebservice/wusserverversion.xml
http://wsusservername:8530/simpleauthwebservice/simpleauth.asmx

The CAB links should return a File Open/Save dialog box.
The XML links should return a short XML file in the IE browser window.
The ASMX link should return a short list of services available from the
SimpleAuthWebService.

In addition to using the hostname (e..g http://2003R2TEST...) also perform
the tests using the IP Address of the server and http://127.0.0.1...