WARNING: GetConfig failure, error = 0x80244021, soap client error = 10, soap error code = 0, HTTP status code = 502

timobkg

Apr 2, 2009, 3:19:45 PM4/2/09

I have clients trying to connect to a WSUS server, and I'm seeing the
following error message in the WindowsUpdate.log

WARNING: GetConfig failure, error = 0x80244021, soap client error = 10,
soap error code = 0, HTTP status code = 502
WARNING: PTError: 0x80244021
WARNING: GetConfig_WithRecovery failed: 0x80244021
WARNING: RefreshConfig failed: 0x80244021
WARNING: RefreshPTState failed: 0x80244021
WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x80244021
WARNING: SyncServerUpdatesInternal failed: 0x80244021
WARNING: Failed to synchronize, error = 0x80244021
WARNING: Exit code = 0x80244021
WARNING: WU client failed Searching for update with error 0x80244021

I ran the diagnostics tool, and it passed everything. We are using a
proxy to access the internet, and here's the proxy info from the diag
tool:

Checking Proxy Configuration
Checking for winhttp local machine Proxy settings . . . PASS
Winhttp local machine access type
<Direct Connection>
Winhttp local machine Proxy. . . . . . . . . . NONE
Winhttp local machine ProxyBypass. . . . . . . NONE
Checking User IE Proxy settings . . . . . . . . . . . . PASS
User IE Proxy
fire1.tail-spin.com:8080
User IE ProxyByPass
*.tail-spin.com;<local>
User IE AutoConfig URL Proxy

http://fire1.tail-spin.com:8080/array.dll?Get.Routing.Script
User IE AutoDetect
AutoDetect in use

I haven't been able to figure this out on my own, so any ideas or
advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

--
timobkg
timobkg's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/87078.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Apr 2, 2009, 9:59:22 PM4/2/09
timobkg wrote:

> I have clients trying to connect to a WSUS server, and I'm seeing the
> following error message in the WindowsUpdate.log

[...]

> I ran the diagnostics tool, and it passed everything. We are using a
> proxy to access the internet, and here's the proxy info from the diag
> tool:

The diagnostics tool uses your proxy information to access the WSUS server,
whereas WU uses the winhttp proxy information. Can you access the WSUS server
without the proxy?

Harry.

timobkg

Apr 6, 2009, 12:53:00 PM4/6/09

Yes, the proxy is only needed for external Internet. I disabled the
proxy settings in IE, and ran the diagnostics tool again, and it passed
everything.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Apr 7, 2009, 4:00:08 PM4/7/09
timobkg wrote:

> Yes, the proxy is only needed for external Internet. I disabled the
> proxy settings in IE, and ran the diagnostics tool again, and it passed
> everything.

The 502 status code indicates a problem with a proxy, which is puzzling when
there's a direct connection. Is there any king of proxy or firewall software
running either on the clients or on the WSUS server?

Harry.

timobkg

Apr 8, 2009, 10:05:07 AM4/8/09

There's the Microsoft Firewall Client for ISA Server running on the
clients. I'll try disabling that, and see if it changes anything.

timobkg

Apr 9, 2009, 11:13:22 AM4/9/09

Well, that's changed the error message I'm getting.

WARNING: Cached cookie has expired or new PID is available
Initializing simple targeting cookie, clientId =
ac732f4d-1568-4099-b65d-23b930506b77, target group = , DNS name =
avdesktop.tail-spin.com
Server URL =
http://roger.tail-spin.com/SimpleAuthWebService/SimpleAuth.asmx
WARNING: SyncUpdates failure, error = 0x8024400E, soap client error =
7, soap error code = 400, HTTP status code = 200
WARNING: SOAP Fault: 0x000190
WARNING: faultstring:Fault occurred
WARNING: ErrorCode:InternalServerError(5)
WARNING: Message:(null)
WARNING:
Method:"http://www.microsoft.com/SoftwareDistribution/Server/ClientWebService/SyncUpdates"
WARNING: ID:cb30fb58-cf9c-456b-b56b-01af0e9e9992
WARNING: PTError: 0x8024400e
WARNING: SyncUpdates_WithRecovery failed.: 0x8024400e
WARNING: Sync of Updates: 0x8024400e
WARNING: SyncServerUpdatesInternal failed: 0x8024400e
WARNING: Failed to synchronize, error = 0x8024400E
WARNING: Exit code = 0x8024400E

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Apr 9, 2009, 2:53:54 PM4/9/09
"timobkg" <timobkg...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Well, that's changed the error message I'm getting.

> WARNING: SyncUpdates failure, error = 0x8024400E, soap client error =

> 7, soap error code = 400, HTTP status code = 200
> WARNING: SOAP Fault: 0x000190

Start here:
http://blogs.technet.com/wsus/archive/2008/06/18/client-server-synchronization-issues.aspx

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

timobkg

Apr 9, 2009, 4:21:52 PM4/9/09

Thanks, that led me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954960, and I'll
see where I get from there.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Apr 10, 2009, 1:48:19 AM4/10/09
timobkg wrote:

> Well, that's changed the error message I'm getting.

Errors like this one do happen sometimes in normal operation, so if the symptoms
have gone away the problem might be resolved already. (Of course, if you're
getting this error every time it tries to scan that's not normal.)

Harry.