WIndows Server and SCSI HDD

banker123

Jan 20, 2010, 12:42:56 PM1/20/10
Hi I have purchased a IBM x236 server. I am attempting to install
windows server X64, I get a message that no drives were found during
installation, therefore nowhere to install windows. I have a single 73
GB SCSI hard drive, I have downloaded several drivers form the IBM web
site hoping the installation process would recognize my hard drive, no
luck. Do I need to format the drive?
Please help??

Phillip Windell

Jan 20, 2010, 2:18:41 PM1/20/10

1. The Server needs a Floppy Drive. They make some that run off USB if you
need to go that route

2. You need to create a Drivers Disk on a Floppy with drivers for the SCSI
Controller that are intended for exactly this purpose.

3. When the Installation process begins you will see a note at the bottom of
the screen telling you to hit F6 to add third-party driver. So hit F6 (you
have to be quick about it).

4. Shortly there after it will prompt you to hit "S" and insert the floppy
disk. Drive "A:" is the only option and cannot be changed,..so it must be a
floppy disk, not a thumbdrive. You can only pick one driver at a time so if
there is more than one you have to repeat the Hit "S" more than once.

Do you need to format the drive? Well, you can not format a drive if you
can't get to the drive. The Setup routine will enventually do that
later,...but it is not part of your current problem.

Some Servers, like most of the ones from Dell, come with a bootable CD that
does all this for you. You do the Install from their CD and it will ask for
the Windows CD whenever it is ready for it. I don't know if IBM has the
same thing or not.

--
Phillip Windell

"banker123" <bradbr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

banker123

Jan 20, 2010, 3:53:57 PM1/20/10
I follow the process a couple questions.

1. I am installing windows server 2008, I do not see the F6 option,.
however windows does offer a GUI to "load mass storage device
driver". Can I load here is it too late?

2. I downloaded the server 2008 controller drivers and tried to load
from a usb drive which is an option via the GUI, got message about
unsigned drivers??

John John - MVP

Jan 20, 2010, 4:35:57 PM1/20/10

You can load them at the Load Driver GUI, the driver may reside on USB
media as well as a floppy drive or CD-ROM drive but the x64 version will
not accept unsigned drivers.

John

Phillip Windell

Jan 20, 2010, 5:05:22 PM1/20/10

> 1. I am installing windows server 2008, I do not see the F6 option,.
> however windows does offer a GUI to "load mass storage device
> driver". Can I load here is it too late?

I didn't know this was 2008. Telling us the version is important. Yes,
this is where you would do this

> 2. I downloaded the server 2008 controller drivers and tried to load
> from a usb drive which is an option via the GUI, got message about
> unsigned drivers??

...as John said.

banker123

Jan 20, 2010, 6:03:29 PM1/20/10
Downloaded driver created floppy with drivers, still get message about
unsigned 64 bit driver, however they are signed drivers.

banker123

Jan 20, 2010, 9:49:31 PM1/20/10
o You must create logical drives on the HostRAID controller
before you can use it.

1. Insert the "IBM ServeRAID-7e (Adaptec HostRAID) Support" CD
into the CD drive; then, turn on the server.

2. The ServeRAID Manager program will start. You will see an
Express/Custom choice on the screen. Choose Express to
automatically create your logical drives. Choose Custom
to manually create your logical drives.

Phillip Windell

Jan 21, 2010, 10:45:38 AM1/21/10
Ok.