Setup cannot continue because the operating system edition is diff

mawinters

Oct 27, 2007, 5:46:01 AM10/27/07
I have a new IBM x3650. I reconfigured the RAID and used ServerGuide to
install Server 2003 Enterprise R2 (it came with the server from IBM). After
it gets to the first login and prompts for the CD2, I get this:

Setup cannot continue because the operating system edition is different from
the setup edition.

?? The disks are labeled 1 of 2, 2 of 2, 32-bit, etc. I complained to IBM
and they even sent me a second set. Same thing.

I tried to install just using the CDs without using the ServerGuide utility.
Same problem.

I did this same process with a x3550 and Windows 2003 R2 Standard and it
worked fine.

What gives?

Thank you,
maw

Meinolf Weber

Oct 27, 2007, 1:44:11 PM10/27/07
Hello mawinters,

Check out this one, is your version OEM?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912309

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889713/

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

mawinters

Oct 27, 2007, 3:52:01 PM10/27/07
These are the two OS CDs supplied with the server from IBM. They are IBM
labels, so I guess they are OEM. It doesn't match the links you sent.

The volume labels are:

CD1 = W3KSTD
CD2 = BRMSCDFRE_

The CD printed label says Enterprise 32-bit R2 and if I install for the CD
it intsalls the 32-bit Enterprise version of Server 2003, but it won't take
the second CD.

The license label on the server with the product ID on the server says 1-2
CPU Enterprise 2003 R2.

Thank you for your response,
maw