"Error 5: Access has been denied" when connecting from ms-dos clie

Jean-Paul

Aug 9, 2007, 4:36:01 AM8/9/07
I use the "net logon" command to connect from an ms-dos client, and i receive
the following error : "Error 5: Access has been denied"
(I have already disabled SMB signing on the SBS 2003 Server)

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks
Jean-Paul

Manfred Zhuang [MSFT]

Aug 10, 2007, 6:19:48 AM8/10/07
Hello Jean,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post, I understand that when attempting to connect from a DOS
client, an error was encountered. It said "Error 5: Access has been
denied". If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to correct
me.

This issue is most likely caused by that the client does not have SMB
packet signing enabled and cannot authenticate to a Windows Server 2003
domain controller.

I understand that you have already disabled SMB signing on the SBS 2003
Server. However, in order to keep track of the troubleshooting, I suggest
you try following steps to double confirm it:

1. Open the default domain controller's policy.

2. Open the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local
Policies\Security Options folder.

3. Locate and then click the Microsoft network server: Digitally sign
communications (always) policy setting, and then click Disabled.

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These
problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at
your own risk.

Alternatively, turn off SMB signing on the server by modifying the
registry. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate and then click the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Parameters

3. Click the enablesecuritysignature entry.

4. On the Edit menu, click Modify.

5. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer, or stop, and then restart the Server service. To
do so, type the following commands at a command prompt, and press ENTER
after you type each command:

net stop server
net start server

Note: The corresponding key on the client computer is in the following
registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Param
eters

Please also try the steps in following article:

Trust between a Windows NT domain and an Active Directory domain cannot be
established or it does not work as expected
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889030

For more information, please refer to following article:

Client, service, and program incompatibilities that may occur when you
modify security settings and user rights assignments
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659

I hope the above information is helpful to you. However, if the issue
persists, please help me gather following information:

1. GPO result
========
a. Run GPMC.msc on the server. Right click Group Policy Results and click
Group Policy Results Wiard.
b. Create a report for "This computer" and "Current user"
c. Right click the report and click Save Report
d. Send the report file to v-mz...@microsoft.com

2. Please download the MPS Report tool from the following link and run it
on the SBS server, then send the generated CAB file to my mailbox
v-mz...@microsoft.com for further investigation so that we can find what
the root cause is:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EX

For your information:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-
88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

Please try the above steps at your earliest convenience. If you have any
concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Manfred Zhuang(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbi1QYXVs?= <Jean...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: "Error 5: Access has been denied" when connecting from ms-dos
clie
| Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 01:36:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jean-Paul

Aug 14, 2007, 1:54:00 AM8/14/07
Hello Manfred,

thanks for your reply,
I try all the step mentioned, but no one resolve my issue at this time.

I send you the required informations at your address v-mz...@microsoft.com.

For additional informations:
The server is multihomed, it has to network card with different ip address.
The net logon command from a dos client has worked at the beginning of the
server installation (after disabling smb), but after some days, it does not
work anymore

Jean-Paul

Manfred Zhuang [MSFT]

Aug 14, 2007, 7:10:54 AM8/14/07
Hello Jean,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you sent me the files.

Unfortunately, I did not receive them.

I would like to confirm that have you compressed them? Please also let me
know the size of the attachment.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

| thread-index: AcfeN4MhckPllLEBRQGj4/fVFHapgA==
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVhbi1QYXVs?= <Jean...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: RE: "Error 5: Access has been denied" when connecting from ms-dos
| Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:54:00 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jean-Paul

Aug 14, 2007, 7:46:00 AM8/14/07
Hello Manfred,

About the email containing the log files:
Yes, they are compressed as a zip file (about 2Mb)

I send you a new email right now.

Best regards,

Manfred Zhuang [MSFT]

Aug 15, 2007, 6:43:43 AM8/15/07
Hello Jean,

Thank you for sending me the log files.

After checking them, I found that the issue happens on a non-English OS.

I am sorry that we do not support non-English post or non-English products
in our SBS public Newsgroup. Please understand that I'm unable to analyze
non-English logs for you. I suggest you post this problem in localized
newsgroup for further investigation.

Thank you for your understanding.

If you would like to continue the support here, please let us know which
language your OS is in. Hopefully a MVP who understand this language may
help you on this issue.

Hope the info above helps.

Best regards,

<7B5FCED3-FF2C-42BF...@microsoft.com>
<dn8OLPm3...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>

| Subject: RE: "Error 5: Access has been denied" when connecting from ms-dos

| Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 04:46:00 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jean-Paul

Aug 16, 2007, 8:57:50 PM8/16/07
Hello Manfred,

Ok, thanks for your help.

If somebody could help, the language of the OS is French.

Best regards