SharePoint and Company Web not working

Manlytrash

Sep 26, 2007, 10:37:03 PM9/26/07

Manlytrash

Robert Li [MSFT]

Sep 28, 2007, 2:08:26 AM9/28/07
Hello Manlytrash,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

CompanyWeb issues can be related to IIS, SharePoint, ISA and so on. Please
let me know the following:

1. What's the error message when you visit http://companyweb?
2. On SBS server, can you visit companyweb successfully?
3. Do you have ISA installed?
4. Do the other websites such as OWA, RWW work OK?

To find out the root cause we need to collect more information.

1. MPS Report

1) Visit
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_Exchange.EXE to download the file.
2) Run the MPSRPT_Exchange.EXE on the server box.
3) Wait for 10~15 minutes.
4) Open Windows explorer, navigate to %SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\Exchange\cab\
5) Send the .cab file directly to me.

2. Gather IIS log:

1) Open IIS snap-in.
2) Right click Default Web Site and click Properties.
3) Uncheck the "Enable Logging" box and click Apply.
4) Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 folder and move all files to
a backup location.
5) Check "Enable Logging" box and click OK.
6) Run IISReset command.
7) Reproduce the problem and send the log file in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 folder to me for research.

3. Gather IIS Metabase:

1) Download the IIS Resource Kit tools from the following page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56FC92EE-A71A-4C73-
B628-ADE629C89499&displaylang=en
2) Install it, run MBExplorer (Metabase Explorer)
3) Right click the "LM" node and choose "Export to file".
4) Specify a file name, specify the password and finish the export.
5) Send the file and the password to v-ro...@microsoft.com with subject:
40571123-SharePoint and Company Web not working.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?TWFubHl0cmFzaA==?= <ccal...@dblair.com>
<Subject: SharePoint and Company Web not working
<Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:37:03 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
<
<
<--
<Manlytrash
<

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 1, 2007, 7:03:23 AM10/1/07
Hi Clark,

Thanks for your reply.

I researched your logs, please take the following steps:

1. Open IIS console.
2. Go to ServerName\Web Sites\Companyweb.
3. Right click Companyweb and select Properties.
4. On the Web Site tab, check the Enable HTTP Keep-Alives box.
5. On the ASP.Net tab, change the ASP.net version to 1.1.4322.

Note: On SBS server, all the websites run with ASP.net 1.1.4322, ASP.NET
2.0.5027 is not supported.

6. Restart IIS and test again.

Hope this helps.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

--------------------
<From: v-ro...@online.microsoft.com (Robert Li [MSFT])
<Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:08:26 GMT
<Subject: RE: SharePoint and Company Web not working
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 2, 2007, 7:17:14 AM10/2/07
Hi Clark,

I am glad to know the problem is resolved. I'd like to make a summary for
this post:

Problem: The companyweb doesn't work.

Cause: Incorrect IIS settings.

Solution:

1. Open IIS console.
2. Go to ServerName\Web Sites\Companyweb.
3. Right click Companyweb and select Properties.
4. On the Web Site tab, check the Enable HTTP Keep-Alives box.

I'd like to give you more information for your reference:

Documentation by Alphabetical List for Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/productdoc/alpha.msp

Windows Small Business Server Technical Library
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServerSolutions/SBS/en/library/4082d695
-2075-4ca0-8af8-99fd04b78b2d1033.mspx?mfr=true

The Official SBS Blog
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/default.aspx

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=487736f8-f6f5-436d-
a82d-0c8d66e2a634&DisplayLang=en

Using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Recovery Storage Groups
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=df144af6-bee5-4b35-
866a-557e25fe2ba1&DisplayLang=en

For future postings, I would like to list the following information as a
guideline when submitting new posts in the future. This information will
help us to understand the issue and situation more quickly. Thank you!

1. Has the server/client/product ever worked?
2. If so, what changed?
3. What service packs and updates were applied?
4. What are the steps to reproduce the problem?
5. Does it happen the same way on any other systems?
6. Please provide the exact error message with any screenshots, if possible.

If you need any assistance in the future, please feel free to post in our
newsgroup.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

--------------------

<From: v-ro...@online.microsoft.com (Robert Li [MSFT])

<Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:03:23 GMT

<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

good12find

Oct 17, 2007, 10:18:00 AM10/17/07
Hi Robert,
I have the same issue - the companyweb doesnt work.
I just performed a fresh install of Windows 2003 SBS with SP2.
I then installed ASP.Net 3.0 then Sharepoint 3.0.
All seemed to go fine.
At first I was able to access \\companyweb\ from the server only and not
from any work. And now for some reason I cannot access it from the server.
To answer your questions below :
1. error received is "The page cannot be displayed" - from work stations.
error from server " Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error,
etc.
2. At one time, but not any more.
3. I dont know - How do I find out? Do I need this?
4. The primary default web page works fine (\\servername\) from both server
and workstations.

I am currently running the MPS Report and will send you the results.
Thank you!!
Donovan

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 18, 2007, 6:26:12 AM10/18/07
Hi Donovan ,

Thanks for your reply.

First please ensure you following took the step in the following article to
install SharePoint 3.

Installing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a Server Running Windows
Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0daafc81-efff-4f5b-
a28a-8265f1e99f5b&displaylang=en

Also you must install it side-by-side with Windows SharePoint Services 2.0.
This leaves your existing http://companyweb Web site intact, and it also
creates a new Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Web site.

I researched your MPS Report and found Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
event 2424,

The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be
accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

This is not the cause of the issue.

Please ensure you have rerun the CEICW wizard after the installation.

Also please check if the Companyweb virtual directory is using ASP.NET
version 1.1.4322. Please can see the detail steps.

1. Open IIS console.
2. Migrate to Servername\Web Sites\Companyweb

3. Right click Companyweb and select Properties.

4. On the ASP.Net tab, set the version to 1.1.4322.
5. On the Web Site tab, click the box Enable HTTP -Alives.

ISA (Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server) is Microsoft's
firewall and Web caching product, you can find this by click the
Start\Programs menu.

Considering this thread has a long history, a suggestion is to open a new
thread in our newsgroup. Thanks for your understanding.

If you'd like to continue the troubleshooting steps here, please help me
collect the following information for deep research:

1. The error message when you visit companyweb

2. Gather IIS log:

3. Gather IIS Metabase:

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

<thread-index: AcgQyIYFzAFhfzm7Rz6QJM0wQGHBkw==
<From: =?Utf-8?B?Z29vZDEyZmluZA==?= <good1...@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:18:00 -0700

<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 19, 2007, 5:35:59 AM10/19/07
From Customer E-mail:

Hi Robert,
Thank you very much for the response.
It seems there is a bit of work to be done.

Before I start anything, I'd like to know what I should do with my current
install.
Should I uninstall the Sharepoint 3.0 and reinstall? Or do I just run the
install again?

I initially started with a fresh install of Small Business Server. I am
worried that it is now messed up.

Do I need to start again with a new SBS install?

Also, is the CIECW wizard the Sharepoint configuration wizard?

I appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Donovan Kostron

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 19, 2007, 6:09:41 AM10/19/07
Hi Donovan,

How did you install the SharePoint 3.0, side by side install or In-place
upgrade?

If you had a side by side installation, the companyweb should work and we
can continue the trouble shooting.

If you made in-place upgrade for companyweb, you must uninstall SharePoint
3 first, then reinstall the Intranet component.

Note: Please ensure you have copies of the SharePoint databases before the
upgrade to WSS 3.0 took place.

WSS 2.0 Database Files needed for the restore:
STS_<servername>_1.mdf
STS_<servername>_Log_1.ldf
STS_Config.mdf
STS_Config_Log.ldf

Default Path for the SharePoint databases on SBS 2003: C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\Data

The following is the detail steps:

Step 1: Uninstall the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Intranet component

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Select Windows Small Business Server 2003, and then click Change/Remove.
The Setup Wizard appears.
3. Click Next to start the wizard.
4. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
5. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server
Tools to Maintenance, change Intranet component to Remove, and then click
Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

Step 2: Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT) and
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

1. In Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
(SHAREPOINT), and then click Remove.
2. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.
3. If Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 appears in the list of
currently installed programs, select this program, and then click Remove.
4. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.

Step 3: Uninstall Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

1. In Add or Remove Programs, select SharePoint Services 3.0 , and then
click Remove.
2. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.

Step 4: Delete the companyweb and SharePoint Central Administration Web
sites

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet
Information Services (IIS) Manager.
2. In IIS Manager, expand servername , and then expand Web Sites.
3. Under Web Sites, right-click SharePoint Central Administration, and then
click Delete.

Note Do not delete the Microsoft SharePoint Administration Web site because
this site is part of the FrontPage Server Extensions component.
4. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.
5. Under Web Sites, right-click companyweb, and then click Delete.

Note: The Companyweb site may not appear in IIS. If the website is missing
it was removed during the SharePoint Services 3.0 uninstall.

6. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.

Step 5: Delete the Application Pool

1. In IIS Manager, expand servername , and then expand Application Pools.
2. Right-click StsAdminAppPool, and then click Delete.
3. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.
4. If any other StsAdmin application pools exist, delete these too. For
example, if there is an application pool named StsAdminAppPool1, delete it.

Note Do not delete MSSharePointAppPool because this application pool is
part of the FrontPage Server Extensions component.

Step 6: Rename the Sharepoint and companyweb folders

1. Start Windows Explorer, and then find the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT folder. By
default,
this folder is in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
2. Right-click the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT folder, and then click Rename.
3. Rename the folder to MSSQL$SHAREPOINT.old, and then press ENTER.
4. Find the companyweb folder. By default, this folder is in the following
location:
C:\Inetpub\companyweb
5. Right-click the companyweb folder, and then click Rename.
6. Rename the folder to companyweb.old, and then press ENTER.

Step 7: Delete the registry keys for the Intranet component

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly
by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might
require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your
own risk.

1. Determine the Web site identifiers for all the Web sites that are
configured in IIS. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet
Information Services (IIS) Manager.
b. In IIS Manager, expand servername , and then click Web Sites.
c. In the right pane, examine the Identifier column for all the Web sites
that are configured, and write these values down.

2. Start Registry Editor.

3. Backup and then delete the following subkeys: o
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet

To back up a registry key, right-click the key, and then click Export. To
delete a registry key, right-click the key, click Delete, and then click
Yes to confirm.
4. Expand the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server
Extensions\Ports

Under Ports, you will see one or more subkeys named Port /LM/W3SVC/ n :. In
the subkey name, n is an identifier for a SharePoint or FrontPage Server
Extensions-enabled Web site.
For example, if the Default Web Site is extended with the FrontPage Server
Extensions, and the Default Web Site identifier is 1, you will see a subkey
named
Port /LM/W3SVC/1:.

5. Delete any subkey under Ports that does not correspond to one of the Web
site identifiers that you wrote down in step 1c. For example, if a subkey
named Port /LM/W3SVC/3: exists, but no Web site is
configured with this identifier in IIS, delete the Port /LM/W3SVC/3:
subkey.

Note In a typical Windows Small Business Server 2003 installation, the
companyweb site uses 4 as its identifier in IIS. If the Windows Small
Business Server 2003 Intranet component could not be installed, there may
be a Port /LM/W3SVC/4: subkey left over from the failed installation, even
if the companyweb site was not created. Change the TCP port for the
Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Web site

Important Do not use the IIS Manager snap-in to change the TCP port for the
Mail Security Web site. Doing this may cause the Mail Security program to
stop working. Instead, install the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft
Exchange console, and then use this console to change the TCP port for the
Web site.

Step 8: Install the Windows SharePoint Services companyweb

Determine whether your copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003 Disk 3 is
an original copy or an updated copy Original copies of Windows Small
Business Server 2003 Disk 3 contain a DLL with an
expired digital certificate. Therefore, when you install Windows Small
Business Server 2003 with an original Disk 3, the Intranet component does
not install successfully. To determine whether your copy of Windows Small
Business Server 2003 Disk 3 is an original copy or an updated copy, follow
these steps:

1. Load Windows Small Business Server 2003 Disk 3 in the CD drive.
2. Open Drive :\SBS\CLIENTAPPS\SHAREPT. In this path name, Drive is the
drive letter for the CD drive.
3. In the SHAREPT folder, open the Sts.cab file, and then extract the
Sqmcfg.dll file to the hard disk drive. The Sts.cab file is a hidden file,
and you will have to enable the Show hidden files and folders setting in
Folder Options, if this setting is not enabled already.
4. Open the folder where you extracted the Sqmcfg.dll file, right-click
Sqmcfg.dll, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Digital Signatures tab.
6. Click to select the digital signature, click Details, and then click
View Certificate.
7. On the General tab, find the valid to date.

If the valid to date is 11/24/2003, you have an original copy of Disk 3. If
the valid to date is 11/24/2009 or a later date, you have an updated copy
of Disk 3.

If you have an original copy of Disk 3, you can still use this disk for the
installation. However, after the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Setup
program has finished running, you will have to install the 832880 update.

For more information about the 832880 update, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

832880 You cannot successfully install the intranet component or connect to
http://companyweb in Windows Small Business Server 2003

Install the Intranet component

1. Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove
Programs.
2. In the Currently installed programs list, click Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server 2003, and then click Change/Remove.
3. In the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server Setup Wizard, click Next
repeatedly until the Component Selection page is displayed.
4. In the Server Tools list, click Maintenance.
5. In the Intranet list, click Install.
6. At the Logon Information screen, click Log on automatically, and then
type your password for the user account that you currently are logged on
with. Your password is temporarily stored until the Setup process is
completed or canceled.
7. Click Next, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen
to complete the installation of the Intranet component. Realize that if you
are using an original copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003 Disk 3,
you will receive the following error message on the Component Summary page:

An error occurred while installing Windows SharePoint Services and creating
your Intranet site. This message is expected when you are using an original
Disk 3.
8. On the Component Summary page, click Next, and then click Finish.
9. Restart the server when you are prompted.
10. If you are using an original Disk 3, install the 832880 update after
the restart. For additional information about this update, visit the
following Web site:

11. Visit the companyweb Web site (http://companyweb) to verify that you
can access the site.
12. If you have to restore the companyweb databases, these database files
are located in the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT.old folder.

Finish the Intranet installation

After the Intranet component has been successfully installed, Verify that
the CompanyWeb intranet site (http://companyweb) is accessible.

1. If you must restore any additions that were made to the default Windows
SharePoint Services services, you must use Microsoft Internet Information
Server (IIS) to re-create any additional top-level Web sites that were not
included in the top-level Windows SharePoint Services site of the
CompanyWeb virtual server that existed on the previous server.

2. Stop the MSSQL$SharePoint and the SharePoint Timer services:

a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
c. At the command prompt, type net stop mssql$sharepoint , and then press
ENTER.

d. Type net stop sptimer , and then press ENTER.
e. To close the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.

3. Stop the companyweb Web site:
a. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet
Information Services (IIS) Manager.
b. In IIS Manager, expand server_name (local computer) , and then expand
Web Sites.
c. Under Web Sites, right-click companyweb, and then click Stop.

4. Make a backup copy of the Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL$SharePoint\Data folder. This is the default installaton folder
for the Windows SharePoint Services databases.

5. Restore only the following configuration database files and content
database files to the Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL$SharePoint\Data folder:
- STS_Config.mdf
- STS_Config_log.ldf
- STS_ ServerName _1.mdf
- STS_ ServerName _1_log.ldf
Note Do not restore any other default files such as the Master.mdf file or
the Model.mdf file.

6. If you must restore any additions that were made to the default Windows
SharePoint Services services, you must restore the additional content
databases that you created to the original data folder where you created
them.

For more information about how to back up and how to restore a Windows
SharePoint Services CompanyWeb database, click the following article number
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
829112 How to back up and restore http://companyweb data in Windows Small
Business
Server 2003

7. Start the MSSQL$SharePoint and the SharePoint Timer services: a. Click
Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
c. At the command prompt, type net start mssql$sharepoint , and then press
ENTER.

d. Type net start sptimer , and then press ENTER.
e. To close the Command Prompt window, type exit, and then press ENTER.

Note If you try to access the CompanyWeb intranet site (http://companyweb),
any subsites, or any other top-level Windows SharePoint Services site now,
you will receive the following error message:
The Web site that is referenced here is not in the configuration database
To resolve this issue, go to step 8.

8. Start the companyweb Web site: a. Click Start, point to Administrative
Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
b. In IIS Manager, expand server_name (local computer) , and then expand
Web Sites.
c. Under Web Sites, right-click companyweb, and then click Start.

9. Remove Windows SharePoint Services from CompanyWeb intranet site:

a. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint
Central Administration (http://localhost:8081).
b. Under Virtual Server Configuration, click Configure virtual server
settings.

c. On the Virtual Server List page, click the virtual server that you want
to configure. In this example, click the companyweb virtual server.
d. Under Virtual Server Management on the Virtual Server Settings page,
click Remove Windows SharePoint Services from Virtual Server.
e. On the Remove Windows SharePoint Services from Virtual Server page,
click Remove without deleting content databases.
f. Click OK. You will receive the following error message: The virtual
server that is referenced here is not in the configuration database

10. Extend the CompanyWeb intranet site by using Windows SharePoint
Services:
a. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click SharePoint
Central Administration (http://localhost:8081).
b. On the Central Administration page under Virtual Server Configuration,
click Extend or upgrade virtual server.
c. On the Virtual Server List page, click the name of the virtual server to
extend. In this case, click companyweb.
d. On the Extend Virtual Server page under Provisioning Options, select
Extend and map to another virtual server.
e. Under Server Mapping, click companyweb.
f. Under Application Pool, click Use an existing application pool, and then
click
DefaultAppPool (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE).
g. Click OK.

Then try to see if companyweb works.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

--------------------

<From: v-ro...@online.microsoft.com (Robert Li [MSFT])

<Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:35:59 GMT

<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Robert Li [MSFT]

Oct 19, 2007, 6:16:33 AM10/19/07
Hi Donvovan,

The CEICW is the SBS Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard. To
run the wizard:

1. On the SBS 2003 Server open the Server Management console. Go to
Standard Management\To Do List.

2. Click the "Connect to the Internet" link.

3. Choose not to change the connection type and click Next. On the Firewall
page, select "Enable firewall" and click Next (I suppose you have 2 network
adapters in SBS 2003 and if you only have 1 network adapter you will not
see the page and you can go to step 6).

4. On the "Services Configuration" page, select all the items and then
click Next.

5. On the "Web Services Configuration" page, make sure "Allow access to the
entire Web site from the Internet" is selected. If you select "Allow access
to only the following Web site services from the Internet", make sure both
the "Outlook Web Access" and "Remote Web Workplace" items are selected.
Click Next.

6. On the "Web Server Certificate" page, choose to create a new Web server
certificate and then type the public FQDN that you will use to access OWA
(for example, if your public FQDN that you use to access the sites is
mail.domain.com, you should type mail.domain.com as the new certificate
name). If you already requested a certificate with the name
"mail.domain.com" from a third party CA, you can choose "Use a Web server
certificate from a trusted authority" and then import the certificate.

7. Go through the remaining steps. The wizard will automatically configure
the SBS 2003 Basic Firewall to securely publish the two sites.

More info:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

Hope this helps.

Best regards,