Windows Server 2003 SBS Restart Automatically

Nikhil

Jul 30, 2009, 7:53:43 AM7/30/09
I have installed Windows Server 2003 SBS on IBM server machine.But it
frequently restarts.I contacted IBM for hardware problem,they given me
on exe file to run on server, which collected all event
information,hardware drivers and softwares info.and sent it to
them.They detected no problems in server but they suggested to go for
help from Microsoft.Any one have faced such type of problem?

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Jul 30, 2009, 8:05:24 AM7/30/09
Hi Nikhil:

Usual causes are poor power from the mains, no UPS, faulty power supply in
the box, bad RAM.

Can you confirm that this SBS is connected to a server class UPS and that
there are no indications of power issues, and that there are no events in
your event viewer that might give a clue?

Same time every time? Odd intervals? Janitor unplugs to plug in the
hoover? Humongous plant across the street turns on all their equipment?

--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your

Get a Health Check for SBS at:
www.sbsbpa.com

"Nikhil" <nikhilb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jul 30, 2009, 8:12:48 AM7/30/09
What is the exact text of the error message you get in the event logs when
the server reboots?
What make/model of IBM server is this?
When did it start doing this?
How much RAM in server?

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

Nikhil

Aug 18, 2009, 3:45:01 AM8/18/09
Larry Struckmeyer ..Thanks for Valuable Reply..
First cause..About Power Supply.
We are checking for this.We will Alternate the UPS power supply.But I think
its Stable..
Secondly..I am Maintaining timing of shutdown..Its frequently at 3:00 PM in
noon.
Before this... the Server was not running the UPdate process successfully.So
I checked with Microsoft Update Website.I found that certain process which
should run was not enabled.After Updating Windows Server 2003 SBS its
frequency of Shutdown is reduceded to twice or thrice a day(Before it was 6,8
times a day.10:30 to 06:30 PM IST).
Secondly I found that one message displayed every time when we restart
server manually when the server shutdown automatically.
This message is not displayed when we shutdown and restart server ie to
check whether that message displays when shutdown problem occurs..

Title:Service Control manager
Information Icon
Button:Ok
Message Text:
At Least one Service or Driver failed during system startup.Use EventViewer
to examine the Event log For Details.

I have checked the Event Viewer but no error messages or information present.

The server is new branded IBM system x3200 M2-[4367I2S],1024 Ram,Service
Pack 2.

Thanks.

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Aug 18, 2009, 8:33:28 AM8/18/09

I might start by asking IBM how to test the RAM in the server, switching it
if necessary. Then, while it is possible to run SBS on 1 GB RAM, it will
certainly be happier with 2-4 GB.

--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so that others may benefit.

Get a Health Check for SBS at:
www.sbsbpa.com

"Nikhil" <Nik...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 18, 2009, 8:52:28 AM8/18/09

Right, low physical memory may be the problem. Nikhil's going to need more
anyway to use SBS 2003 to it's full potential anyway, so getting more now
might solve his current "restarting' problem as well. For $40, you can get
2 GB of RAM. For $72, you can get a full 4GB. The original 1 GB can be
left in the server but will not be seen by the operating system if you add a
full 4 GB of RAM.

IBM 3200 x-series
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=System%20x3200%20M2%20%28Type%204367%20and%204368%29

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]" <lstruc...@mis-wizards.com> wrote in
message news:eylkXAAI...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

Nikhil

Aug 21, 2009, 5:02:02 AM8/21/09
To Larry Struckmeyer,
Both of you Thanks for your reply.
We have 16 such type of servers each of having 8-23 client PC in Network and
having configuration as
IBM Server x-3200 M2 4367I2S
512 Ram + 512 Ram
SQL Server,Oracle

These Servers are running properly.But only one server have problem of
restart.
IBM also given the RAM req. in this document for Win 2003 SBS ed.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp3913.pdf.Also IBM have tested
this server with the help of running an exe on server.

I again want to mention that,
we get informative message such as,

Window Title:Service Control manager

Information Icon
Button:Ok
Message Text:At Least one Service or Driver failed during system startup.Use
EventViewer to examine the Event log For Details.

But in event viewer only for SQL server instance can not run information is
given.We get this messages only when server gets auto restart. I think some
software configuration is forcefully doing this restart.This happens only at
specified intervals as mentioned previously (In between 3:00 PM to 3:30 PM
and at 05:15 PM to 05:40 PM IST).
Pls give attention on restart interval time and the message details for your
refrence to help in solving this problem.

Thank You..

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 21, 2009, 8:17:18 AM8/21/09

If the frequency of shutdown is that specific (repeating every day at
3:00-3:30 pm and again at 5:15-5:40 pm), you might look for an electrical
problem in the building. It's possible that a circuit breaker is being
overloaded or a power surge is occuring at those times. However, assuming
your UPS unit is OK, it should be taking over during a power outage and
keeping your server running.

I assume there are Event ID errors 6008 and 1001 showing up in the Event
Logs after each unexpected restart. Can you please post these? The logs
should also show which service or driver is not starting each time the
server restarts. You might to post that as well.

Are the hard drives SCSI? Is it possible that your server is experiencing
heavy work loads from users just prior to the unexpected restarts? I've
seen posts where problems with a SCSI controller, cable or drive can cause
an unexpected restart. Sometimes reseating all components (memory, cables,
adapters, etc.) in the server resolves the problem.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

"Nikhil" <Nik...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Nikhil

Aug 22, 2009, 6:17:01 AM8/22/09
Thanks for your comments..
Finally I got the problem area...
In Event Viewer I have seen errors in System

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SBCore
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1013
Date: 22/08/2009
Time: 11:23:21 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
This computer must be configured as a domain controller. To prevent this
computer from shutting down in the future, run Setup on the disk that you
used to install the operating system to configure the computer as a domain
controller.

Also I have checked the microsoft site for help,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555087/en-us#top

We are not using DNS, we are using workgroup.
But in resolution they given that go to add/remove programs click windows
server 2003.But On my server its not there.how I can solve this problem...?
Can i have to reinstall it again..then how..?Is it same like as We install
Win XP ..i know only this...I have no exp. about installing windows server
2003 SBS.Our Ex engineer have installed this server,he left now.If you have
any document regarding this then help me..

Waiting for your reply...

Thanks..

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Aug 22, 2009, 9:24:14 AM8/22/09

We've seen this before. People buy SBS to use as a "file server" because
it's cheaper than Windows Server 2003. If all you needed was a 'workgroup'
file server, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition should have been
purchased. While SBS is based on Windows 2003, it has a few restrictions.
One of them is that it must be set up as a domain controller holding all 5
FSMO roles (meaning it's the 'main' domain controller in the network). In
addition, all SBS components, like Exchange 2003, must be installed on the
same server (they cannot be installed on separate servers).

The first thing you need to do is determine if you have the expertise to set
up and manage a domain environment. There will be a learning curve over a
Peer-to-Peer network (a 'workgroup'). You may want to hire a consultant who
has experience with SBS. You also need to make sure that you're
workstations are capable of being joined to a domain. Windows XP Pro, Vista
Business and Ultimate can join a domain. Windows XP Home Edition, Vista
Home Basic, Vista Home Premium cannot join a network. Though not
recommended, you could also promote SBS to a domain controller and not join
your present workstations to the domain, just using SBS as a "file server"
for your workstations (which would remain in a workgroup). However this
kind of setup requires much more knowledge of the workings of workgroups and
domains, would be more difficult to manage and would not let you use many of
the features built into SBS.

If you decide to proceed on your own, make sure you have the SBS 2003 CDs or
DVDs. Then on the SBS server, install and run a scan with the SBS 2003 BPA
to get a baseline on your server. This will show you any problems that it
finds with your server's configuration. I would also make sure you have a
backup of your important data files on the SBS server before proceeding.

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Best Practices Analyzer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3874527A-DE19-49BB-800F-352F3B6F2922&displaylang=en

Please post the results of an ipconfig /all for the server to this
newsgroup. (from a command prompt, type: ipconfig /all>servercfg.txt
then open the servercfg.txt file in Notepad and copy & paste the text into a
reply).

I suspect your Ex-Engineer, just installed the base Windows 2003 operating
system from SBS 2003 CD1 and then stopped at that point. This leaves SBS in
an unsupported position as the promotion to a domain controller is
incomplete. If you place CD1 back in, you should be able to run the Setup
program to install the rest of the required SBS components. (I'm assuming
you only have 1 network adapter in the SBS server).

Installing and Configuring SBS 2003
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Installing-and-Configuring-SBS2003.html

Windows 2003 Small Business Server Shuts Down Unexpectedly; Events 1001,
1013 and 1014 are Logged
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555087

After SBS has been set up as a domain controller and all components have
been installed, run another scan with the SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer
and fix any problems it finds.

Once the initial SBS setup has configured it as a domain controller, you'll
need to make sure that it has SBS 2003 SP1 installed. This may have been
done when it was converted to a domain controller or, if the CDs contain an
older version of SBS 2003, you will need to manually download and install
SBS 2003 SP1.

How to install Service Pack 1 for SBS 2003
http://www.smallbizserver.net/tabid/266/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/68/How-to-install-Service-Pack-1-for-SBS-2003.aspx

In the procedure, you can substitute:

Windows 2003 SP2 for SP1
Exchange 2003 SP2 for SP1
Windows Sharepoint Services 2003 SP3 for SP1

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

"Nikhil" <Nik...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Aug 22, 2009, 4:22:32 PM8/22/09
Very Interesting.

You said earlier you had 16 such servers. Are they all exhibiting the same
symptoms? Or do the other 15 have SBS installed properly, or not have SBS
installed?