DHCP service won't start after restore

youthful-itpro

Dec 29, 2005, 5:46:03 PM12/29/05
I'm having an issue where DHCP will not start after I successfully completed
a restore. I recall from Susan's blog that this was apparently an issue where
someone had install SP1 for Server 2003, but I bought my SBS Premium and it
had SP1 already integrated c/o Microsoft.

I'd like to know how to reinstall it. I can't run the CEICW because of the
DHCP error. This is a recommended action I recall from the SBS restore
instructions.

The DHCP Server service terminated with service-specific error 20013 (0x4E2D)

Your help is appreciated.

Somebody

Dec 29, 2005, 10:14:01 PM12/29/05
Do you perhaps have another DHCP server on the network, perhaps a router?
That would disable the Server DHCP server.

youthful-itpro

Dec 29, 2005, 10:19:03 PM12/29/05
No, I'm quite sure this is due to the restore. It's not disabled, it cannot
start.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Dec 30, 2005, 3:12:56 AM12/30/05

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup.

From your description, I understand the issue to be: the DHCP can not be
started and received 7024 error event when you restored SBS 2003 SP1 server
box. If I am off base, please let me know.

Let"s perform below tests to see if the issue be fixed:

I. Please verify the DHCP server service is running under the local system
account and Startup Type is "Automatic"

You can run command "services.msc" (no quotation marks) to launch the
services console, find the "DHCP server" service, and double click it to
open its Properties page. Set it Startup type as "Automatic". Click Log on
tab, please ensure check the box of "Local System Account".

II. Please try to Re-registry the ole32.dll to see if it helps.

Please run command "regsrv32 ole32.dll" (no quotation marks) in the command
prompt. After registry it successfully and then try to see if the DHCP
server can be started and you can run CEICW successfully.

III. If the issue persists, I suggest you Uninstall and Reinstall DHCP
server to see if the issue be fixed.

You can go into Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs\Add/Remove Windows
Components\Networking Services to remove DHCP. Then you can install it by
checking DHCP in Networking Services.

In addition, please exclude the %SystemRoot%System32\Dhcp folder and its
subfolders from being scanned by the antivirus application.

And then please try to test and let me know the result.

More information:

300429.KB.EN-US HOW TO: Install and Configure a DHCP Server in an Active
Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;300429

If the issue persists, please help me collect the following information for
further analyze:

1. Please re-run CEICW and collect the icwlog.txt file for me:

The icwlog.txt file locates in the "%Program Files%\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Support" folder.

2. Please save a copy of Application /System log for analysis:

To save a text copy of Application /System log:

A. Open Event Viewer: Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools ->
Event Viewer.
B. Right-click on Application/System log and select "Save Log File As?".

Please compress those files to a zip file and mail it to my working
mailbox: v-ya...@microsoft.com

Hope above information helps. I am happy to be assistance to you and look
forward to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<youthf...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: RE: DHCP service won't start after restore
>Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:19:03 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

youthful-itpro

Jan 1, 2006, 1:04:02 PM1/1/06
Thanks Jenny. I fixed it by reinstalling DHCP. Perhaps the issue below is an
issue with SBS as I also found that Exchange services would not start so I
had to restore from another backup because the restore process was not
completely successful.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 3, 2006, 4:35:10 AM1/3/06

Thanks for your update.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend and New Year holiday.
Please understand that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft
Support professionals to answer your systems and applications questions.
Your understanding is greatly appreciated!

I am glad to know that thing is getting well in your end-)! I appreciate
your time and effort to the problem and get this resolved. After researched
internal documents and articles, I can not find it is a known issue that
the DHCP service and exchange service fail to start when restored SBS
server from backup file. That may be caused by some problems that you don't
realize. I suggest that you take a look at the following KB articles to get
more information:

Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/support/articles/backup_restore_sbs20
03.mspx

How to back up and restore an Exchange computer by using the Windows Backup
program
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258243

How to recover the information store on Exchange 2000 Server or Exchange
Server 2003 in a single site
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313184

Please feel free to post back when you need further assistance on this
issue and you are always welcome!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<86FE1A50-208F-4CEC...@microsoft.com>