partially received or failed fax

mctwist

Jun 12, 2007, 11:14:05 AM6/12/07
Hi all, I'm having a problem with a fax server at one of my client
site.

I recently installed the SBS 2003 fax server feature with a brand new
USR 325610B (56K Performance Pro Modem). I have a couple of clients
using this same setup with no problems. The driver and firmware have
been updated to the latest version.

We can send fax with no problem. Receiving is a little more tricky.
Some will go thru no problem, others will be partially received, and
this morning while performing some test with a client, were not
received at all.

The partially received ones will give me this error in the event
viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Inbound
Event ID: 32034
Date: 05/17/2007
Time: 8:55:01 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
An incoming fax could not be received due to a reception error. Only
part of the incoming fax was received. Contact the sender and request
that the fax be resent. File Name: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue\1C7987A216CD0.tif.
From: 506 737 1940. CallerId: . To: Max Steel. Recovered Pages: 1.
Total Pages: 2. Transmission time: 0:00:29. Device Name: U.S. Robotics
V92 Fax PCI.

The ones I'm not receiving at all will give me this error, and will
not even show in the fax console:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Inbound
Event ID: 32092
Date: 06/12/2007
Time: 11:49:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: SERVER
The Fax service failed to receive a fax. From: 506 737 1940.
CallerId: . To: Max Steel. Pages: 0. Device Name: U.S. Robotics V92
Fax PCI #2.

I'm at a loss here, as I already set the answer ring to 2, and
disabled compression on the modem.

It is really important I get this fixed, because most of the failed
faxes are from my clients main supplier: it's an important part of
their business.

I did plug back the old fax machine so they could receive their fax,
but it's only a temporary thing.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephane

Andrew Rinaldi

Jun 12, 2007, 12:42:29 PM6/12/07
> For more information, see Help and Support Center athttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

> The ones I'm not receiving at all will give me this error, and will
> not even show in the fax console:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Microsoft Fax
> Event Category: Inbound
> Event ID: 32092
> Date: 06/12/2007
> Time: 11:49:45 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: SERVER
> The Fax service failed to receive a fax. From: 506 737 1940.
> CallerId: . To: Max Steel. Pages: 0. Device Name: U.S. Robotics V92
> Fax PCI #2.
>
> For more information, see Help and Support Center athttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

> I'm at a loss here, as I already set the answer ring to 2, and
> disabled compression on the modem.
>
> It is really important I get this fixed, because most of the failed
> faxes are from my clients main supplier: it's an important part of
> their business.
>
> I did plug back the old fax machine so they could receive their fax,
> but it's only a temporary thing.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephane

Hi Stephane,

Is this SBS 2003 R2 ?

Any VoIP or DSL on the lines you are testing with ?

When you say "I have a couple of clients using this same setup with no
problems" are they using identicle hardware, firmware, and drivers ?
I ask this question becuase in most of the fax world USR modems have a
terrible reputation.

Regards

ANDREW RINALDI
Mainpine Limited - Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 869439
andrew....@mainpine.com | www.mainpine.com

AllenM

Jun 12, 2007, 6:16:35 PM6/12/07
A couple of questions here first.

1. What was your reasoning for moving from a fax machine to a fax modem?
2. Did you run the Fax Wizard after installing the fax modem?
3. How many phone lines?
4. Are you now trying to just use the fax modem with SBS or are you trying
to use both the fax modem and fax machine?

"mctwist" <mct...@gmail.com> wrote in message

xpman

Jun 18, 2007, 7:20:13 PM6/18/07

I have had the same problem in the past few weeks all of a sudden on my
sbs 2003 r2 fax server. It had been rx'ing faxs without a hitch for
months.

I found the KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839501 which says bump
the rings to answer to 2.

Give that a shot and see if it helps. The jury is still out on mine.
I moved the fax line back to the fax machine untill I figured out a
resolution. I will try moving back to the fax server later this week
when I am back at the customer site.

They get 2-10 faxes a day depending on the day so really like the
sharepoint and email integration with the fax service which is why they
do not have a dedicated fax service. Also they are cheap :) and wanted
another reason for a new SBS server. Thats FYI just in case you are
wondering why they do not have a dedicated fax service.

--
xpman
xpman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26898

http://forums.techarena.in