SBS 2008, Exchange Backup fails backup marked as completed succesf

ubabunski

Dec 10, 2009, 3:23:01 AM12/10/09

We have a small business server 2008 on a hp ml 150 g3 server with 4 GB RAM.
I was checking the logs for some sharepoint errors when I came across and
Exchange backup error.
Source: MSExchangeIS
Event ID 9782
Exchange VSS Writer (instance 05c54d37-4d69-4b5f-b3e4-50ce6b239e36:2) has
unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'Second Storage Group'.
No log files have been truncated for this storage group.

The same error is for the First Storage Group and at the end I see another
error
Source: ESE
Event ID: 2007
Information Store (2084) Shadow copy instance 2 aborted.

The SBS backup that is backing up the server on an USB disk is completing
without further errors and is marked as successfuly completed. I haven't try
restoring the server with the backup from the usb disk to check if it is
actually good, because we don't have the hardware for that at the moment.
The bigger problem at the moment is that Exchange isn't committing/deleting
the logs in the database after the backup and the disk where the database is
has very little space to spare.

I have tried re-registering the vss services and dll's and nothing changed.
I still cannot understand why the backup is marked as succesfully complited
when the exchange logs aren't commited to the database.
I have run the BPA until I fixed everything and all I got left is the
warning for the Exchange sp2 which I don't want to install as it breaks few
things on the sharepoint side.
Exchange has everything until rollup 9 installed so it is not unpatched. I
have since changed the USB disk that we are backing up to, to check if there
is a problem with the initial backup made to the disk and I got the same
errors on the new disk.

Does anybody have anything on this?

thank you for your help

CNS

Dec 10, 2009, 11:06:01 AM12/10/09

Same deal here. Every so often I get an ESE event id 2007 at my 11p backup.
It doesn;t happen all the time, but maybe once or twice per week. Windows
Server Backup shows the job completed properly, but I am skeptical! I don;t
have duplicate hardware to test it either. Any ideas?

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

Dec 14, 2009, 3:46:45 AM12/14/09

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Based on my research, I also found many similar issues in the past.

It is still not clear about the root cause. But based on resovled cases, incorrectly formatted drive would be the possible cause. Please move/copy exchange data/log into
another drive, and then perform the backup, see if the issue still persists. If not, please format the problematic drive.

Please disable the anti-virus software on the problematic node, and see if the issue still persists.

"Betest" can help you to narrow down the cause. If log files can be deleted after using Betest, this indicates the cause to windows server backup rather than Exchange.
(BETest Tool http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530721(VS.85).aspx )

More information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/5bac7d4d-4024-40e7-a0a9-1a1211722476

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

ubabunski

Dec 14, 2009, 3:59:02 PM12/14/09
Hi Robbin,

Thank you for your effort.

I also dismounted both mail databases (public folders and mail
database) and ran the eseutil /mh, /ml and g. There were no errors
and the /mh returned an info that the exchange backup hasn't been run
on neither of the databases. I will try and run the isinteg tool
today and post the results but I have to say I was suprised to see
that the backup had never been run on the databases and SBS 2008
cannot see that and reports a completed backup.

There is another problem with the same server. The server has been
freezin for the past month for no apparent reason. It just stops
responding and you have to power it off from the chasis and power it
on again. I have searched the log for an error and there is no error
prior to the freeze. No service has been started prior to the freeze
so I could say that some service is causing the error. Sometimes it
freezes in a few days and sometimes it freezes after two weeks. I am
checking the RAM to see if there is a problem with the RAM but the
basic test has returned no errors. I am going to uninstall the
antivirus, although the freeze has occured even when the antivirus
software was disabled.
After the restart everything is normal, sbs boots normally and
everything is working for cca one week and after that the server
freezes again.
I will try to apply the sp2 update for windows server 2008, but the
problem is that I have no idea if the server will crash during the
update and if the backup is corrupted and exchange is not even
backuped there will be a lot of unhappy customers in the company.

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" wrote:

> .

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

Dec 15, 2009, 1:03:27 AM12/15/09

Thanks for your reply with more information.

I also don't think the Exchange database has any problems as we see from the Eseutil checking results. I still think it is the VSS components error or incorrectly formatted
disk drive that caused this backup issue. Here is another post about this issue for your reference:

"Exchange VSS Writer has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group. No log files have been truncated for this storage group"
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/a255259f-dfb2-4128-b0fa-d46aa5a12611

Regarding the "new" issue you described about server frozen up, I am not sure if it is related to the original backup problem. It is more likely a performance/bottleneck issue
as there is no related error information we could find from all of the logs. As for this issue, I suggest you try a "Clean Boot" on the SBS server and hold on installing SP2 unless
you have had a good full server backup.

Clean boot
=================
Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this performance/bottleneck issue is caused by a loading program
or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility
when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment mode, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down
which entry is causing the issue.

For more information about this step, please refer to the following KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com//kb/929135

Process Monitor v2.04
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

However if the performance/bottleneck issue persists even in Clean Boot mode, I suggest you submit a new thread separately for the "new" issue and I believe more MVPs
and communities will share valuable information on it. Thank you for your time and cooperation!