Folder Redirection

Lisa

Nov 21, 2005, 9:17:01 PM11/21/05
When using a group policy to redirect the My Documents folder in Windows2000
the following errors appear in the event viewer under application:

- Folder Redirection: Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents.
The new directories for the redirected folder could not be created. The
folder is configured to be redirected to \\%HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%, the final
expanded path was \\%HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%. The following error occurred: The
specified path is invalid.

- The Group Policy client-side extension Folder Redirection was passed flags
(0) and returned a failure status code of (161).

- Windows cannot process extension Folder Redirection ProcessGroupPolicy.
Return value (0xa1).

When the \\homeshare path is typed into the run command, the my documents
folder is then redirected to the correct folder.

These errors do not occur when we have the same group policy for Windows XP
PC's and the My Documents folder redirects to the specified folder correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas why these errors are occuring or why the My
Documents path is not being redirected on Windows 2000 machines?

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Nov 22, 2005, 10:33:59 PM11/22/05
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for posting here!

For this is a Windows 2000 issue, I suggest that you post this question
into the Windows 2000 setup-deployment newsgroup. The reason why we
recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most dedicated pool of
respondents, and other partners who the newsgroups regularly can either
share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Also, this
is to make sure that the responders can better track the problem Thank you
for your understanding.

You can visit the following link to the Windows 2000 setup-deployment
newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/serveros/win2k.mspx

What is more, I would like to give you some general information to the
issue, hope it helps. Regarding to the error message, the issue should be
caused by security settings.

When a user does not have sufficient Share and NTFS ACL permissions, their
folder is not redirected and you can view this type error. For more detail
information, you can refer to the following KB article:

Folder Redirection feature in Windows

For additional information about the permissions that are required for a
share that will host redirected folders, click the following article number
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to dynamically create security-enhanced redirected folders by using
folder redirection in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274443/

And you may need use the following tool to take owner of some folders, for
detail information:

320046 HOW TO: Use the File Ownership Script Tool (Fileowners.pl) in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320046

Hope it helps! I am happy to be assistance of you.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support