Error 170 - Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

Derek

Jun 20, 2006, 7:49:37 PM6/20/06
Dear SBS Newsgroup,

Problem:
When starting the server just as it shows the logon screen it also pops up a
message saying that a driver or service could not start, please view the
event logs for details.

The error I can see is this:

"Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service on Local Computer.
Error 170: The requested resource is in use."

When I go to services and try to start this service myself it gives me that
same error 170 above. I'm assuming its a firewall error, or some conflict
relating to this.

I have tried running the CEICW wizard a few times, sometimes
including/removing:
Remote Connectivity,
VPN,
Allowing access to companyweb over the net,
etc.

Also, this server was absolutely fine until I had to do a partial fresh
install and then restore it from the backup tape. Ever since then its been
giving me this error.

Other Details:
Standard 2 NIC setup choosing all standard options during install and all
configuration.
I believe I followed the install/restore procedure to the letter, but
perhaps I didn't and this is the reason for the error.

Regards,
Derek.

Steven Zhu [MSFT]

Jun 21, 2006, 1:58:32 AM6/21/06
Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting here.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: you find the following
error message about Windows Firewall:
======================

"Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service on Local Computer.
Error 170: The requested resource is in use."

======================
If I am off base, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my knowledge, if you have installed ISA Server 2004 on the SBS
2003, then we must perform the following steps to configure it:

1. Run Windows Update to install all critical updates.
2. Leave the Default Gateway of the internal NIC blank.
3. Configure both the internal NIC and the external NIC to use the internal
DNS Service as the DNS Server.
4. On the DNS Server, create the DNS Forwarder to forward the external DNS
resolution requests to the ISP's DNS server. See:

323380 How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323380

4. Strictly followed the instructions in the KB article below to run CEICW:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

I hope the above information helps.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Steven Zhu
MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support
PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD were
updated on February 14, 2006.? Please complete a re-registration process
by entering the secure code mmpng06 when prompted. Once you have
entered the secure code mmpng06, you will be able to update your profile
and access the partner newsgroups.
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

Derek

Jun 21, 2006, 3:07:47 PM6/21/06
Hi Steven and everyone,

I should have said this it is SBS2003 Standard version, so it doesn't have
ISA as far as I know, I should have stated this in my first post.

"Steven Zhu [MSFT]" <v-st...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steven Zhu [MSFT]

Jun 22, 2006, 3:18:12 AM6/22/06
Hi Derek,

Thanks for taking time to respond.

Perhaps I have not explained very clearly in my previous reply. I would
like to clarify that the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
service should be disabled by default in SBS Server 2000/2003 during the
setup of the SBS. Whatever ISA Server is installed, this service is
disabled in SBS.

If ISA Server is not installed, SBS uses the Basic Firewall in the RRAS to
protect the SBS network. If ISA Server is installed, SBS uses ISA to
protect the SBS network. The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
service is not needed in any SBS configurations.

I have also performed the test on my SBS 2000/2003 machine and I have
reproduced the issue. On my testing SBS machine, Windows Firewall/Internet
Connection Sharing service is disabled in Services MMC. If I enable it and
then start it, the same error messages occur in the Event Log.

Please perform the following steps to disable it, and then install ISA:

1. Open Services MMC.
2. Double click Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service
3. Under General tab, click Stop button to stop it.
4. Change the Startup type to Disable, and then click OK.

Please let me know if anything is unclear.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Derek

Jun 23, 2006, 3:11:42 PM6/23/06
Thank you for replying and helping me with this issue Steven.

Ahh ok, so does ISA exist on the SBS 2003 standard edition? I have
Standard, not Premium. I was under the impression that ISA is only in
Premium, is it also in Standard edition?

Thanks,
Derek.

"Steven Zhu [MSFT]" <v-st...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Derek

Jun 25, 2006, 3:34:32 PM6/25/06
One more thing, is the server secure or not at present? Is the firewall
working? I'm new to this but it looks to me from the event log that the
firewall service fails to start, so I am guessing the firewall is not
running. Is it running? Is there a way I can tell?

"Derek" <123123...@123123123123.com> wrote in message

Steven Zhu [MSFT]

Jun 26, 2006, 4:48:23 AM6/26/06
Hi Derek,

Thanks for your new information.

Sure, you are right; there isn't ISA in Windows SBS 2003 Standard version.
Usually, for such kind of service cannot be started issue, we need to use
some tools to collect memory dumps and debugging to see what the root cause
is. However, because debugging memory dump in out of support boundaries of
our newsgroup, I would suggest you contact our Customer Support Service
(CSS) via phone to get the problem fixed in a more efficient manner. For
the CSS contact info, please visit:

http://www.microsoft.com/services/microsoftservices/srv_support.mspx

However, based on my research, Please check:

Network Connections
Windows Management Instrumentation
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

were started. To do this, please refer to following steps:
1. Run "Services.msc"
2. Find Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and check if it was started.
3. Make sure the three services were all started and try to start Firewall
service again.

If all three services are started but Firewall still cannot be started, I'd
like to suggest you reset Winsock. Please Type "netsh winsock reset"
(without quotation mark) at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Note: Restart the computer after you run this command. Additionally, for
computers that are running Windows XP SP2, there is a new netsh command
that can rebuild the Winsock key. For more information, visit the following
Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx

Warning Programs that access or monitors the Internet such as antivirus,
firewall. Or proxy clients may be negatively affected when you run the
"netsh winsock reset" command. If you have a program that no longer
functions correctly after you use this resolution, reinstall the program to
restore functionality.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:
How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

If you still want to dig into this issue here, please provide me the system
and application event log on your Exchange server so that I can try to help
you check if there are any obvious evidence to this issue. To collect
system log and application log, please refer the following steps:

System log:
------------------
1.) Open Computer Management; click Event Viewer under System Tools.
2.) Right click System Log and select Save Log file as…
3.) Select path and type the name.
4.) Click Save.

Application log:
--------------------
1.) Open Computer Management; click Event Viewer under System Tools.
2.) Right click Application Log and select Save Log file as…
3.) Select path and type the name.
4.) Click Save.

Please send the system log file and application log file to my work
address: v-st...@microsoft.com.

Thank you for you patience and understanding and have a great day.

Derek

Jun 26, 2006, 8:14:41 AM6/26/06
Thank you for the reply Steven. I will check the 3 services are running and
try to start the firewall again, and then reply back here later on with the
results. Until then, regards.

"Steven Zhu [MSFT]" <v-st...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steven Zhu [MSFT]

Jun 27, 2006, 4:24:00 AM6/27/06

Thank you for keeping in touch. I will waiting for your information and
provide further help on this problem. It's always our pleasure to be of
assistance.

Have a great day.

Gavin

Sep 19, 2008, 1:29:17 AM9/19/08

thanks for you giving some infomation. i have seen them all. but i can't
still start windows firewall service successfully.

regards
Gavin.

--
Gavin
Gavin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/gavin.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Sep 19, 2008, 2:36:45 AM9/19/08
Can you give more info?

Are you trying to do this on a SBS server? If so you can't run ICS on
the Server.

cleoracoss

Jul 15, 2010, 6:52:48 AM7/15/10

well I tried everything, even reinstalled SP2, still can't open
firewall. I will try a clean install and see if that works. Will let you
know what happens. thanks terp

--
cleoracoss
cleoracoss's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/245008.htm

SteveB

Jul 15, 2010, 11:49:41 AM7/15/10
If this is on SBS 2003 you don't run the ICS service at all. Why are you
trying to do that?

Please don't use Techarena to post questions. This MS newsgroup that TA is
tied to is being removed soon. Use the new MS forum in the future.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/

Steve

"cleoracoss" <cleoraco...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP]

Jul 15, 2010, 7:01:53 PM7/15/10
I agree this doesn't sound like a SBS question

If this is XP Go here
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef&lang=en&cr=US

If this is Win7 go here
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Russ

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com Easy
Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com