Exchange Corruption Help Needed

Alison

Sep 28, 2009, 7:38:02 PM9/28/09
There was an event last night in my Exchange in SBS 2003 Standard.

All Outlook Clients are 'disconnected'
ESM under First Storage Group shows Mailbox Store and Public Folder Store
but nothing in their folders

The ESEUTIL shows a dirty shutddown
When I try right click on Mailbox store within ESM and choose 'mount store'
it says 'The Database files in this store are corrupted ID no: c104173b ESM

EventViewer Says (in order of occurrence):

EventID 465
Information Store (3612) First Storage Group: Corruption was detected during
soft recovery in logfile E:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.log.

The failing checksum record is located at position END. Data not matching
the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 2061 (0x0000080D).

This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

EventID 454
Information Store (3612) First Storage Group: Database recovery/restore
failed with unexpected error -501.

EventID 9518
Error Log file is corrupt starting Storage Group
/DC=local/DC=_DomainName_/CN=Configuration/CN=Services/CN=Microsoft

Exchange/CN=_DomainName_/CN=Administrative Groups/CN=first administrative
group/CN=Servers/CN=_ServerName_/CN=InformationStore/CN=First Storage

Group on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
Storage Group - Initialization of Jet failed.

EventID 9518
Error Log file is corrupt starting Storage Group
/DC=local/DC=_DomainName_/CN=Configuration/CN=Services/CN=Microsoft

Exchange/CN=_DomainName_/CN=Administrative Groups/CN=first administrative
group/CN=Servers/CN=_ServerName_/CN=InformationStore/CN=First Storage

Group on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
<NULL>.

EventID 9175
The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are
network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for

maintenance.
The MAPI provider failed.
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

Now multiple EventIDs 9518 9175

Oh, what to do, what to do... Advice ???
I seem to have local mail incrementing in the queue
Yes, I have backups, is that my best choice and if so, I do I save the new
email in the queue, or ?

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Sep 28, 2009, 7:52:19 PM9/28/09

"Alison" <Ali...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You know, this can also be caused by an antivirus program if the AV program
has not been configured to exclude all Exchange folders. This is because AV
sometimes misonstrues the e00.log file as a virus, and will either
quarantine it, or delete it, resulting in the same errors.

Do you have a backup?

Check the following articles out on how to recover or reiniatlize the log
files. Ignore the fact it says Exchange 2000. It works for both 2000 and
2003.

You cannot mount a database because there is a corrupted transaction log in
Exchange 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301438

As for EvenID# 9518, which is a result of EventID 454, read the following,
please. Check and match the error code you see in the event (0x something)
in the list of errors in the following link.
http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=9518&eventno=1758&source=MSExchangeIS&phase=1

If you do not have a backup, and the procedure seems complex (which many
think), I would suggest to give Microsoft PSS a call. They can have you up
and running in 30 minutes for around USD $250.00.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS 2008, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA
Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

Sep 29, 2009, 5:21:49 AM9/29/09

Hi Alison,

Thanks for your post and Ace's input.

I agree that you may first try a Soft Recovery and then if no good, try to restore database from a good backup.

More information at:

An MSExchangeIS 9518 event that has error code 0xfffffc01 occurs when you try to mount a mailbox or a public folder store
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924172/en-us

The Exchange database store may not mount in Exchange Server 2003 or in Exchange 2000 Server, and event IDs 9175, 486, 455, 413, and 5 may be logged
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896143/en-us

Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en

Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx