Unable to add CALs to Windows Server 2003 for SBS

Stood

Dec 7, 2009, 4:05:16 AM12/7/09

Hello,

I'm trying to install additional licenses for Windows Server 2003 for
Small Business Server SP2. When I'm clicking on the Licensing menu a
message "To add more licenses, use the Add License Wizard in Windows
Server 2003 for Small Business Server 2003" pops up. But the Server
Management Console was not installed during initial installation of the
server, so I can't find where to run the Add License Wizard. I tried to
run Windows installation again in order to install the Server Management
Console, but the installation failed with the message: "Setup cannot
continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer then
the version on the CD." As I understand that this because of installed
service packs (currently SP2 installed on the server and I'm trying to
run setup from the CD without any service pack). So I don't know how to
install the Server Management Console or add additional licenses.

If someone faced a similar problem, please advise me how it can be
solved.

Thanks,
Alex

--
Stood
Stood's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161707.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

Dec 8, 2009, 5:19:44 AM12/8/09

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your post.

Please first try to open the Licensing console by manually add the " Small Business Server Licensing " Snap-in.

1. Run MMC and click Add/Remove Snap-in,
2. Click Add to find and add " Small Business Server Licensing "
3. Please check if it can load " Small Business Server Licensing " console with correct information.

If you still cannot open Licensing console, please locate to "C:\Program Files\Windows for Small Business Server\Licensing" folder and run the "Activation.exe" program.

Hope this helps. Also, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Stood

Dec 8, 2009, 6:50:56 AM12/8/09

Hello Robbin,

Thank you for advices. I tried both, but neither one is working for me.
1. "Small Business Server Licensing" is not available in the list of
snap-ins.
2. "Windows for Small Business Server" folder is not available under
"C:\Program Files\"
Does it mean that OS was not installed completely?

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

Dec 9, 2009, 12:44:57 AM12/9/09

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your update.

So it indicates the SBS "Server Tool" is not installed correctly during the initial integrated setup. Please try the method in below website to remove and reinstall
Administration component:

To reinstall the Management Consoles in SBS 2003(see Bonne's comments)
https://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2003/11/12/686.aspx

SBS 2003 Wizards won't start in Server Management Console
http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1178688.htm

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

Stood

Dec 9, 2009, 5:13:03 AM12/9/09

Hi Robbin,

I already tried the method described in the first link, but
unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I cannot find Small Business
Server component under Add\Remove components.
I tried to download and run the SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer, but
it failed to run with error message: "This update can be installed only
on Windows Small Business Server 2003. This update cannot be installed
on your current operating system." I checked the name of the OS and it
listed as "Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server
Service Pack 2".
Does it mean that Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 and
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server are different
operating systems?

SteveB

Dec 9, 2009, 11:31:32 AM12/9/09
Check the SKU of what you have. If it's not shown in this list you most
likely have the crippled 15 user limited version with the deceptive name of
Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server. No exchange or all the other
goodies in the real SBS 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/howtobuy/pricing.mspx#ENAA

"Stood" <Stood....@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

Robbin Meng [MSFT]

Dec 10, 2009, 1:03:05 AM12/10/09

Hello Alex,

So it seems the initial installation is corrupted and Windows Small Business Server 2003 doesn't have registered information in AD, even though the OS property shows as
"Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Service Pack 2" (means SBS 2003 with Windows 2003 SP2 installed).

Based on the current situation, I suggest you reinstall Windows Small Business Server 2003 with your CDs you purchased. First of all, if you manually installed the Windows
2003 SP2, it should be listed in the Add/remove programs like "Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2". Please remove it first before you perform the reinstallation to avoid the
error message you previously received.

Regarding the SKU, as Steve indicated, please check the edition you have. If you prefer, you could contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) directly to confirm
what you purchased. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft
Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS