Many Remote Desktop Redirected printer doc

BruceB

Feb 14, 2007, 2:14:46 PM2/14/07
a user reported that "my printer at home remotely receives documents in
“spool”. I disconnect my printer and still get a lot of print jobs. Last
count was 6,078 print jobs."

Using RWW on SBS2003 Std.

Thanks for any help.

Bruce B

Robert Li [MSFT]

Feb 15, 2007, 4:00:25 AM2/15/07
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup.

From your description, I know that your customer receives a lot of print
jobs in printer spooling pool. If I am off-base, please don�¯t hesitate to
let me know.

Please let me know the following to make the situation more clearly:

Does the problem occur on one user or some users?

Based on my research, when you visit Terminal Server via RWW, you can print
documents from the remote computer to a local print. This brings many
benefits to us. At the same time, the users can see many network printers,
not their own. Some users may mistakenly print their jobs to your
customer�¯s printer, so he receives many print jobs in printer spooling
pool.

Please take the following steps to narrow down this issue:

Step 1: Rename the printer. After your printer has a different name, the
print job may not send to you.

1. Click Start and then select Printer and Faxes.
2. Right click your printer and select Rename.

Step 2: Set printer permission.

1. Click Start and then select Printer and Faxes.
2. Right click your printer and select Properties.
3. On the Security tab, select Everyone and click Remove.
4. Click OK.

Step 3: You can see the owner of each printer job, please inform the user
not to send wrong print job to your printer.

Step 4: The problem may be cause by virus, please update the Anti Virus
software to the latest signature and than scan the system.

Hope above information helps.

If you need further assistance, please don�¯t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2VC?= <Bru...@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Subject: Many Remote Desktop Redirected printer doc
<Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:14:46 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

philiptomlinson

May 20, 2008, 4:55:16 AM5/20/08
Hi Robert,

I am getting the same problem; as soon as I use RDC and log in to our Windows 2003 server, the default printer then has a print job added to it ("Remote Desktop Redirected Printer Doc"). I'm not sure what this could be, but the owner of it is the active directory user account of whoever logs in, i.e. me and one other guy.

It's really odd and I think it slightly differs to the synopsis above.

Regards

Phil

Guozhen Wang[MSFT]

May 21, 2008, 6:25:50 AM5/21/08
Hello Philip,

Thank you for your post.
My name is Gary Wang, and it is my pleasure to work with you on this issue!
Please allow me to confirm that my understandings are correct. As I
understand it, the issue is:

Your default printer will add a job named as "Remote Desktop Redirected
Printer Doc" after RDC connection established.

If I have misunderstood your concerns please feel free to let me know.

Suggestion :
==============
Firstly I would like to double confirm that if you are using Windows Small
Busniess Server 2003but not Windows Server 2003 . If not, I would suggest
that use the Microsoft public newsgroups for Windows Server
2003(microsoft.public.windows.server.general) which would be the most
relevant newsgroup for your question.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defaul
t.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.general

If yes, please open RDC, you should see an "Optional" link below the list
box. Click it and you should see a list of options. Navigate to Local
Resources tab, make sure "Enable documents on the remote computer to be
printed on a local printer" is checked.

In most cases, there're 3 possible causes for such issues:

Cause 1:

The local printer's driver is not for Windows Server 2003, you must install
the driver for the printer on the Server before using the printer
redirection feature in RWW or Remote Desktop.

To do so:
1. Click Start and click Printers and Faxes.
2. Click File menu and click Server Properties.
3. Click Drivers tab and click Add button.
4. Follow the wizard and complete adding the printer driver on the server.

Cause 2:

This printer's port does not begin with COM/LPT/USB. If this is the point,
please follow KB 302361 to solve the problem.

Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not
Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

Cause 3:

Make sure that your printer is compatible with Windows Server 2003, please
check the HCL list:
http://www.microsoft.com/hcl

Here is more information about this issue. I want to introduce the
following utility to you.

Terminal Server Printer Driver Redirection Wizard v.1.0.80

This tool will examine a remote or local Terminal Server and determine
whether or not printer redirection has failed. For each printer driver that
failed redirection, the tool will prompt the user to select an installed
driver to create a new NTPrintSubs.inf file.

Download link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9AD27BE9-40DB-484F-
862E-38A094EEEAF7&displaylang=en

For more information regarding this feature, you can take a look at the
following KB articles:

818758 White Paper: Terminal Services and Printing
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=818758

Hope it helps

I look forward to your reply. Also, if you have any questions or concerns,
please do not hesitate to let me know. I am happy to help. :-)

Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Best regards,

Gary Wang(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: Philip Tomlinson
| Subject: Login Issue
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 01:55:16 -0700

SamirB

Jan 20, 2009, 6:52:40 AM1/20/09

I had the same issue when connecting via Remote desktop to my server. I
just went to Remote Desktop Connection Options, then switched to Local
resources tab and just unchecked the checkbox "Printers" and the issue
was solved.

Samir

--
SamirB
SamirB's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/samirb.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Larry Struckmeyer [SBS-MVP]

Jan 20, 2009, 7:35:38 AM1/20/09
Hi Samir:

In case you can follow posts that make it here, can you let us know what you
are replying to and where you found the post?

Either it is very old, or it just mindlessly copies here with no clue as to
what it is about.

--
Larry
Please post the resolution to your

"SamirB" <SamirB...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

bozagroza

May 7, 2010, 11:42:21 AM5/7/10

Hi Chums!

It is a virus....
I am pretty uninmpressed no one figured that out yet.
Get into your print spooler %System%/system32/spool/printers
and delete all print jobs in there.
make sure you stop the spooler service before that so you are able to
get rid of all of the jobs.

Ciao

--
bozagroza
bozagroza's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217610.htm

4o66

Jun 22, 2010, 7:53:02 PM6/22/10

Bull$h1t its a virus.

I've encountered this with several servers. In every case, it is a PDF
printer of some kind generating jobs every second or so.

I can't turn off printer redirection because it is needed.
I suspect it is a printer driver issue (missing drivers for other
printers.)

--
4o66
4o66's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/235759.htm

SteveB

Jun 22, 2010, 11:19:47 PM6/22/10
Because you're using techarena instead of direct posting to the newsgroup we
have no idea what the thread is or what you're referring to.

"4o66" <4o66....@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

4o66

Jun 23, 2010, 12:57:20 AM6/23/10

SteveB;4989540 Wrote:
> Because you're using techarena instead of direct posting to the
> newsgroup we
> have no idea what the thread is or what you're referring to.

Ah, my apologies, for both the outburst and the confusion. Could someone
point me to the newsgroup?

Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]

Jun 23, 2010, 5:41:03 AM6/23/10
the new SBS Group is located at this redirect
www.SBSRepair.com
Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

"4o66" <4o66....@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

solutioninfotech

Jul 31, 2010, 6:46:15 AM7/31/10

its virus or not issue is not that.
issue is this that have any body solve the problem of this.

i need it badly, please help

thanks in advance

--
solutioninfotech
solutioninfotech's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/251791.htm

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Jul 31, 2010, 7:35:05 AM7/31/10
Please note that this venue is due to be closed in a few days/weeks and you
will get much more attention in the new SBS Forum hosted by MS at the following
location.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

You can either use your web browser, or if you prefer to use your existing
(or different) nntp news reader you can use one of the official MS bridge
applications, or the combined one on codeplex.com

Official MS Bridge - Note two required.
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/

Codeplex nntp bridge - only one required.
http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

Larry
-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.
-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

> its virus or not issue is not that.
> issue is this that have any body solve the problem of this.
> i need it badly, please help
>
> thanks in advance
>

> http://forums.techarena.in

oipoistar

Aug 28, 2010, 10:07:04 AM8/28/10

I don't know guys but isn't it easier to just install a software
solution for this like for exampl 'Remote Desktop Printer'
(http://www.remotedesktopprinter.com)

--
oipoistar
oipoistar's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/263328.htm

rick...@gmail.com

May 26, 2013, 6:36:52 PM5/26/13
agreed. this is not a virus.. and there are no jobs in the print queue.. still have not figured it out and we need local printer redirection..

snoz