The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.

JJ

Dec 21, 2009, 6:15:01 PM12/21/09
Hello,
Today noticed large email queue on SBS2003, cannot send emails to any
outside domain, and in addiditional queue information i see this message -
The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
Our SBS2003 is used for email recieving and sending, no external smart
hosts and server is behind firewall. Looks like our internal AD DNS is
working fine, i can recieve recrusive answers from DNS(cheked with nslookup),
also i can connect with telnet to port 25 to any mail server in queue, also i
can connect to my server from interet with telnet on port 25. I enabled
diagnostic logging for ms exchange transport and in event log saw these
messages: "Message delivery to the host xxx.xxx.xx.xx failed while delivering
to the remote domain 'domain.eu' for the following reason: The connection
was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'quit'. The response from the
remote server is ''.
Of course i restarted server few times, but no changes, also cheked our
MX and PTR records at ISP DNS, and our external ip isn't listed in any rbl.
Uninstalled antivirus software from server, because some people had similar
problems from antivirus.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

Dec 21, 2009, 6:50:15 PM12/21/09
Hi JJ:

that message is not definitive, unfortuntly. Besides this, what errors related
to exchange or smtp are in the event logs?

Are there only messages orginating on your network in the outbound queue,
or are there hundreds/thousands that orginated somewhere else?

Have you turned up logging on the exchage in Echange Server Manager?

Please post the results of the command: ipconfig /all > c:\iptest.txt.
-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Dec 21, 2009, 7:51:38 PM12/21/09
"JJ" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The Event sink portion seems to be indicating a third party Exchange app is
installed. It could be an antivirus, XClaimer, etc. What is installed on the
machine?

Are you getting EventID 2012 or 2013 errors?

Is this happening with normal domains that you send to, or ones you do not
recognize? You could be under an attack someone trying to relay through your
server.

One thing I did find when I searched on this error, is the following quote
from Exchange-experts.com.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_21110083.html

He didn't indicate it, but my guess his issue may have been that the
Exchange folders were not excluded from the antivirus scanning.

"i fixed this. disabling the anti-virus, re-installing smtp, then
re-installing exchange. bout 12 hours now. wanted to thank everyone for
their help with this so i split the points. "

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

JJ

Dec 22, 2009, 9:34:01 AM12/22/09
Hello,
I found where was problem, we have Astaro firewall(hardware appliance), this
box have smtp proxy, antispam and antivirus functions, like greylisting,
batv, spf chek, rbl chek and so on, found that one engine just hangs up(even
without error message) for outgoing emails, disabled it and everything
started to work. I will contact Astaro support for more information, but
looks like everything is ok with Exchange. Yes, i believe in some situations
it could be caused by installed antivirus, if it have some antispam or
firewall functions, but not in this case.

Thanks,
JJ.

"Ace Fekay [MCT]" wrote:

> .

Ace Fekay [MCT]

Dec 22, 2009, 9:53:27 AM12/22/09

> Hello,
> I found where was problem, we have Astaro firewall(hardware appliance),
> this
> box have smtp proxy, antispam and antivirus functions, like greylisting,
> batv, spf chek, rbl chek and so on, found that one engine just hangs
> up(even
> without error message) for outgoing emails, disabled it and everything
> started to work. I will contact Astaro support for more information, but
> looks like everything is ok with Exchange. Yes, i believe in some
> situations
> it could be caused by installed antivirus, if it have some antispam or
> firewall functions, but not in this case.
>

> Thanks,
> JJ.

Good to hear you pinpointed the problem. Let us know what their tech support
says.

Ace