Re: 32-bit server os and a 64-bit server os co-exist on the same netwo

kj [SBS MVP]

Jun 5, 2009, 12:20:31 PM6/5/09
I'm a little confused at why you (OP) would want to run *any* app, legacy
especially, on *any* domain controller.

--
/kj

Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]

Jun 5, 2009, 12:09:11 PM6/5/09
Yes they can coexist, BUT
SBS 2008 must be your domain controller as well as holding all the FSMO roles and Exchange Server 2007.

If you purchase SBS 2008 premium, you get a second copy of W2k8.  64bit and 32 bit media are included, so you could install the other server as 32 bit if concerned.

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jun 5, 2009, 12:06:07 PM6/5/09
I'm a little confused... You want to buy SBS 2008 (which is 64-bit only and
has Exchange 2007) and run it as your domain controller (which must hold all
5 FSMO roles). Then you want to add a second 32-bit Windows 2008 domain
controller to the network to run the legacy apps?

Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Most programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows
will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows. Notable
exceptions are many antivirus programs, and some hardware drivers.

Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows do not work on computers
running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer
or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work
correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]
============================

House@discussions.microsoft.com BadBoy House

Jun 5, 2009, 11:48:01 AM6/5/09

Cliff Galiher

Jun 5, 2009, 3:29:33 PM6/5/09
One thing you did not explain here is why the *DOMAIN CONTROLLER* must run
32-bit apps. You'd be better served, from both an implementation and
security standpoint, to run an 3rd-party apps on a *MEMBER* server and not
on a DC. With that said, you can simply buy SBS Premium and use the second
Windows license to install a 32-bit member server OS and not worry about any
compatibility issues.

-Cliff

BadBoy House

Jun 8, 2009, 4:10:01 AM6/8/09
perhaps I didn't explain things fully.

The plan was to put Windows Server 2008 (32-bit ver) on the DC and SBS 2008
(64-bit incl. Exchange 2007) on the member server.

Our domain controller only runs two business packages (32-bit only - not
64-bit compatible) and simple file sharing.

The issues I have are as follows:

1. If I have the DC as 32-bit and the Exchange server as 64-bit will there
be any incompatibility issues?

2. Will I be able to install and configure Exchange 2007 on the Exchange
server (SBS 2008) as a member server and configure it to access Active
Directory on the DC?

Cliff Galiher

Jun 8, 2009, 5:09:33 AM6/8/09
Inline:

"BadBoy House" <BadBo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> perhaps I didn't explain things fully.
>
> The plan was to put Windows Server 2008 (32-bit ver) on the DC and SBS
> 2008
> (64-bit incl. Exchange 2007) on the member server.

YOU CANNOT DO THIS. SBS *has* to be a DC and has to hold all FSMO roles.
You cannot install SBS as a "member server."

> Our domain controller only runs two business packages (32-bit only - not
> 64-bit compatible) and simple file sharing.

That does not answer my initial question. Why are you running apps on your
domain controller? Why not run the apps on a member server instead?

> The issues I have are as follows:
>
> 1. If I have the DC as 32-bit and the Exchange server as 64-bit will there
> be any incompatibility issues?

Already answered. SBS is 64-bit only and SBS has to be a DC. So the
scenario you point cannot exist.

> 2. Will I be able to install and configure Exchange 2007 on the Exchange
> server (SBS 2008) as a member server and configure it to access Active
> Directory on the DC?

Again, no. Exchange is not a separate install in SBS. It is installed as
part of the SBS installation process and that includes the OS, Active
Directory, and configuring all the domain controller stuff.

It increasingly sounds like you are looking at a migration scenario, even if
you don't know it yet. You should look at migration docs for SBS 08 on
technet, understand what role SBS will be playing in your network, and then
proceed from there. Ideally you'll have SBS-08 running on one server and
have a separate 32-bit server for your apps with no conflicts at all.

-Cliff

BadBoy House

Jun 8, 2009, 6:27:01 AM6/8/09

"Cliff Galiher" wrote:

> Inline:
>

> "BadBoy House" <BadBo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > perhaps I didn't explain things fully.
> >
> > The plan was to put Windows Server 2008 (32-bit ver) on the DC and SBS
> > 2008
> > (64-bit incl. Exchange 2007) on the member server.
>
> YOU CANNOT DO THIS. SBS *has* to be a DC and has to hold all FSMO roles.
> You cannot install SBS as a "member server."

Ok. Isn't it best practice to keep Exchange off of your domain controller?

> > Our domain controller only runs two business packages (32-bit only - not
> > 64-bit compatible) and simple file sharing.
>
> That does not answer my initial question. Why are you running apps on your
> domain controller? Why not run the apps on a member server instead?

Currently we use our domain controller for file sharing and apps and we use
the member server for Exchange. Running our apps on a third member server
would be overkill for a business our size in my opinion. Not having anything
running on the DC (apart from DNS, DHCP etc) would be a waste of resources.

> > The issues I have are as follows:
> >
> > 1. If I have the DC as 32-bit and the Exchange server as 64-bit will there
> > be any incompatibility issues?
>
> Already answered. SBS is 64-bit only and SBS has to be a DC. So the
> scenario you point cannot exist.

Accepted.

> > 2. Will I be able to install and configure Exchange 2007 on the Exchange
> > server (SBS 2008) as a member server and configure it to access Active
> > Directory on the DC?
>
> Again, no. Exchange is not a separate install in SBS. It is installed as
> part of the SBS installation process and that includes the OS, Active
> Directory, and configuring all the domain controller stuff.
>
> It increasingly sounds like you are looking at a migration scenario, even if
> you don't know it yet. You should look at migration docs for SBS 08 on
> technet, understand what role SBS will be playing in your network, and then
> proceed from there. Ideally you'll have SBS-08 running on one server and
> have a separate 32-bit server for your apps with no conflicts at all.
>
> -Cliff

thanks for your advice on this so far

Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]

BadBoy House

Jun 8, 2009, 9:52:01 AM6/8/09
ok I've got a plan of how I think it would be best to do this.

Domain Controller - SBS 2008 Premium - 64-bit
Exchange Server 2007

Member Server - Windows Server 2008 (licence included with SBS 2008 Prem)
SQL Server (licence included with SBS 2008 Prem)
Our line of business apps

does anyone have any views on this configuration?

Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]

Jun 8, 2009, 10:53:34 AM6/8/09
Only that you'll need SBS 2008 Premium CALs for those users who will be
accessing the SQl server. Non-SQL users can stick with the Standard SBS
CALs.

--
Merv Porter [SBS-MVP]