Server service terminated with service-specific error 2182 (0x886)

Steve Choquette

Mar 13, 2008, 10:53:01 AM3/13/08
The server is running W2K3 R2 SP1.

The lanmanserver service stopped and attempts to restart it generates:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
Date: 3/13/2008
Time: 5:40:39 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CRNTAP57
The Server service terminated with service-specific error 2182 (0x886).

**

Following the link yields generic information and the message that "Windows
does not recognize the service's error code." (odd since it's a Windows
service). Further advises to run SC /query <service name> for further
information. Doing this yielded:

C:\Documents and Settings\admin-schoquet>sc query lanmanserver

SERVICE_NAME: lanmanserver
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE,
IGNORES_SHUTDOWN))

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 1066 (0x42a)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 2182 (0x886)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

Win32_Exit_code : 1066 merely states that the service exited with a service
specific message.

What I"m looking for is the service_exit_code : 2182 definition. Technet,
MSDN and the internet have been useless in finding this specific information.
(other than to say try to start it, if that fails, re-boot. I need a little
more root cause info)

-Steve