file halacpi.dll could not be loaded + Win 2003

IMulla

Oct 3, 2008, 12:57:01 PM10/3/08
Hello

I have set up a Virtual PC Console on my laptop and am trying to install
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (Trial Version) on the Virtual
Machine. I get the error

File \I386\halacpi.dll could not be loaded
The error code is 7

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit

I Mulla

James Yeomans BSc, MCSE

Oct 25, 2008, 1:43:00 PM10/25/08
You are trying to install a SERVER os in a virtual PC environment, not
entirely sure if that is supported. Download virtual server 2005 fro
microsoft and try that, i think thats the latest version.
James.
--
James Yeomans, BSc, MCSE
Ask me directly at: http://www.justaskjames.co.uk

IMulla

Oct 25, 2008, 4:39:00 PM10/25/08
Hello

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to install it straight on to my laptop
but still get the same error. I have read that it has something to do with
processor on the laptop i.e uniprocessor, multiprocessor which has different
halacpi files for each processor.

I Mulla

James Yeomans BSc, MCSE

Oct 26, 2008, 5:11:00 AM10/26/08
Do you mean you are trying to install server 2003 on your laptop? That will
not work. The HAL (hardware abstraction layer) is not compatible, hence the
halacpi error. Server 2003 will only run on hardware with Intel processors
(Wintel). It sounds like you have a different processor installed.

Satya Ramachandran

Nov 23, 2008, 2:29:03 AM11/23/08
I disagree with the below statement; I have quite a few laptops which run
Server 2003 OS pretty well(both on physical host and as a guest).
IMulla, can you please give a link to the vendor site of the laptop you
have?
Where are you installing the OS from...an ISO or a retail media?
Does the same install media work on any other machine?

"James Yeomans BSc, MCSE" <JamesYeom...@discussions.microsoft.com>